Menu

So, y'all seen the new Kia add?

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this ad was entered into a contest without Kia's consent I think Kia should sue and do it fast.

http://www.bnet.com/blog/advertising-business/kia-denies-knowledge-of-pedophile-ads-that-won-cannes-prize/9171

Interesting! I had been wondering why, if the ad didn't run in America and only in Brazil, it appeared in English rather than Portuguese. I guess the ad may never have run at all. And I agree, that if Kia didn't approve it, they'd better sue if they want to save their reputation.

Kia Motors America (KMA) has become aware of an offensive piece of advertising material that was created by an ad agency in Brazil that KMA has no business relationship with and has never worked with. This ad was not created in the U.S. by Kia Motors America or any of its marketing partners and does not reflect the opinions or values of KMA or Kia Motors Corporation. The ad is undoubtedly inappropriate, and on behalf of Kia Motors we apologize to those who have been offended by it. We can guarantee this advertisement has never and will never be used in any form in the United States, and our global headquarters in Seoul, South Korea is addressing the issue with the independent Brazilian distributor.

So. Kia Motors AMERICA has never worked with the ad company, and it was not created in the US (which we knew) or by Kia Motors AMERICA, but does not reflect the opinions of Kia Motors AMERICA OR Kia Motors Corporation.

Does that sound to anyone else like Kia Motors Corporation itself worked with the ad company, and the American branch (Kia Motors America) is trying to distance itself since it wasn't an American ad & therefore not in the Kia Motors America jurisdiction, so to say? It was a KIA ad but not a Kia AMERICA ad? :001_huh:

You know, often times there are pitches made for new business. I wonder if this agency used its pitch material?? That's completely out-of-line for an entry, but I can see it happening. Esp. in a worldwide scenario, with different cultural lines of "OK." I'm not talking the ad scenario here, I'm talking about submitting a pitched piece, where there's no working relatioship with the client. Could have been a Brazilian take on "Assuming the Close." And, you know what happens when one assumes.... :)

Interesting. I wonder if/where they will/have run the ad ...

We can guarantee this advertisement has never and will never be used in any form in the United States, and our global headquarters in Seoul, South Korea is addressing the issue with the independent Brazilian distributor.

According to this article, the ads were done for Kia Motors do Brazil, the South American arm of Kia Motors. It sounds like they really did authorize the ad for the contest, though they have not run it as an ad. Kia Motors America and the Korean KQ are distancing themselves from it. http://www.autonews.com/article/20110625/BLOG06/110629902/1503