Menu

Using K12 Student & Teacher pages w/o online lessons

amys

I'm curious to know how feasible it is to purchase the K12 student and teacher pages plus the required books and do the curriculum that way. Is it necessary to have the online component, or are the majority of the instruction and assignments actually in the printed materials?

Inquiring (and cheap) minds want to know! Love the looks of K12, but it's so pricey (and my state has no virtual academy option.)

Depends on the course, because they vary in how much of the material is printed and how much is online. For instance, I have been told that almost all the high school material is online only. That said, I have used (and I believe successfully :)) k12's 3rd and 4th grade literature offline (but not the rest of their language arts), which was almost entirely offline. This year we started with their middle school history and I'm finding that more of it is online, but it's still quite usable for us offline (I'm using a combo of the world and American history courses, mixing them together to follow the WTM schedule and spreading over 4 years, 5th-8th).

You are probably already aware that they don't sell the teaching materials separate from the courses. You will have to get them used. You can buy the middle school textbook for history, Human Odyssey, from them new in three volumes (there are printed materials for vol. 1 and 2, but not 3 as it is used in their high school course).

I found the student pages (a workbook) from a private seller on Amazon. We've just started using this with the first volume of Human Odyssey (also purchased used off Amazon). So far, it seems like a combination of the text, the workbook, and discussion will be plenty. I am supplementing a bit with a couple of other history books we have, but I'm not sure that's necessary.

I've used the Phonicsworks (K and 1) without the computer....However, the lesson plans for the language arts portion of it are "online". For the other subjects, it's mostly a mix of online lessons and some offline stuff. I, too, agree it's really pricey - especially when you add in the monthly fee for "online usage".

It's hard to find K12 materials for sale because they have a "don't re-sell" clause that some people may follow...plus, most of what you could buy from others is just incomplete without some portion of online lessons.

I'm sorry it's not more accessible - they've got some really good stuff....:001_huh:

Melody

What courses?

We successfully used K12's The Human Odyssey Prehistory to 1400 with the student and teacher pages this year and are planning on using the second volume in the series next year. I matched the text reading with the Oxford Press The World in Ancient Times series. Dd11 also read a pile of historical fiction and other library resources this year.

What courses?

We successfully used K12's The Human Odyssey Prehistory to 1400 with the student and teacher pages this year and are planning on using the second volume in the series next year. I matched the text reading with the Oxford Press The World in Ancient Times series. Dd11 also read a pile of historical fiction and other library resources this year.

Luckymama, I just saw your schedule link in your signature, and I'm off to check it out. This is exactly what I'm planning to do, so I'm very thankful you posted a schedule! Thank you!

It depends on the course.

Their Language Arts courses for grades K-5 are offline, meaning it's all in the book(s).

It wouldn't work for science in any grade because the instruction is online.

For history in grades K-4, the instruction is online, but for grades 5-8, it's mostly offline.

For LA 6-8, the instruction is online.

I haven't used their math courses.

We've used LA4 (and now are using LA5) and I actually just got off the phone w/ K12 ~ cancelling the online portion. They are super nice and understanding about it! :) I didn't use the online portion last year for LA4 and am not using it this year either, for LA5. I probably WILL pay for it next year, for LA6 though, since the instruction is actually online. All that is online for LA4-5 is a suggested schedule which I don't really follow, but make up my own lesson plans just using the materials they send (which really are wonderful and work perfectly with my ds).

• 2 weeks later...

I have sucessfully taught K12 offline (3rd-7th grade). When my child took the public school placement test --they wanted to skip at least 1 grade in every subject. So I would say that is can be done.

I Do NOT use the art, music or science K12 parts though.

The books for history not the teachers or workbooks are very expensive thought. You can check them out at most public libraries. You can also check out a lot of the literature (optional) books.

We used their grade 3 lit. books and we have their grade 4 books too.

What I have done is purchase the materials from them along with the class on a month by month basis, then cancel the class. I have to pay the $30 for the first month of the class initially, but they refund it as long as the class is cancelled within 30 days.

Grade 3 and 4 LA appear to both be completely offline, which I think somebody already said.

We used their grade 3 lit. books and we have their grade 4 books too.

What I have done is purchase the materials from them along with the class on a month by month basis, then cancel the class. I have to pay the $30 for the first month of the class initially, but they refund it as long as the class is cancelled within 30 days.

Grade 3 and 4 LA appear to both be completely offline, which I think somebody already said.

I picked up the materials used on Alibris (seems to be more available there than on Amazon used). I know a number of folks seem to do the cancel-class route, but I feel odd doing that knowing from the outset that I have no intention of remaining with the class. It would be different if I planned to use the online portion, then decided not to do so. It's probably a picky point, since I am willing to buy used and they have a no-resale policy for most materials, but it feels different somehow.

I have sucessfully taught K12 offline (3rd-7th grade). When my child took the public school placement test --they wanted to skip at least 1 grade in every subject. So I would say that is can be done.

I Do NOT use the art, music or science K12 parts though.

The books for history not the teachers or workbooks are very expensive thought. You can check them out at most public libraries. You can also check out a lot of the literature (optional) books.

I was given the materials for the 3rd grade music (when we were doing 3rd grade) and my daughter found it really preschoolish. I have to admit I was reminded of Romper Room.