Menu

You've got (international) mail!

desertmum

I ordered some Singapore math books from Christian Books in the US and I finally received them. It took the box about 3 weeks and for some reason the package was re-routed from Sweden (?). It went through customs where it was obviously opened and roughened up a bit (the box was in tatters and the "bag fulled or air' cushioning the books was deflated). The package then was placed in a grocery shopping bag :001_huh: tied with a strong plastic tie and delivered to my dh's PO box. The nice people from Christian books included a curriculum catalog. I never saw a curriculum catalog before and I was thrilled to bits.

For those living overseas. Is it normal to receive a package in such bad shape? The books were in pretty good nick considering the box appeared to have been thrown out of a plane and crashed on a rock. Or is it customs officers having a bad day? :nopity:

BTW I'm still amazed the box made it here and thrilled to have my new SM books and amazing catalog :D

We are also in the gulf and have had the same experience. I put it down to someone at customs here not liking the word "Christian" plastered all over the box. I never had any problems with boxes from CBD when we lived in New Zealand. And I would consider 3 weeks excellent service. It always took the full six weeks for ours.

Sometimes. :)

I've had boxes from Amazon come completely mangled like you've mentioned. They end up shoved in a mail bag and tied with a wire tie or equivalent.

Sometimes if Mom fills the priority mail boxes REALLY full, as in maxing out the shape and weight they'll get ripped on corners and I always panic that something will be missing or have fallen out.

I've never had a box mangled from customs or quarantine though. ;)

I'm thinking 3 weeks for a CBD box is GREAT timing. It often takes 6 weeks to get to me so I don't order from them too often, but when I do I really make it worth the effort. :lol:

Well, from the responses it looks like packages are lucky to make it at all! Also not complaining about the 3 weeks. I was expecting between 4 to 6. Bookdepository.co.uk takes far longer to ship a single book.

I can tell by the deflated air bag that Christian Books made a good effort to pack the books carefully. As Kiwimum said it may be the word "Christian" bothered someone in customs. They must have had a shock when they ripped the box open only to find harmless math workbooks ;).

I am not from overseas, but any packages that we have received that have come through customs have been in the exact condition you described. I ordered something (not school related) from a dealer in California a few states away no less, and they decided to route my item out of their Japan office. It took months to get here and when it did half of it was missing and everything was hanging half out of the box. I called the company and complained that I just spent $550 on something I could not use, or anything. I got very very heated with them. Needless to say they sent me a replacement and it was out of the California office this time.

Customs seems not to care what they do to the packages, which is a very very sad thing.

Side note I have had a few packages that just come through USPS that look just as a bad. One book was not even recognizable anymore. It looked like they mail carrier tied it to this truck bumper and drove around for a few days then decided it was time to give it to me. IT was horrible.

I've actually never had that happen, maybe I've just been lucky? I've gotten books and things from Amazon, and packages from my mom, and aside from very slight damage to a corner or something, I've not had any trouble.

Also, I've never had a box opened. Usually they put a notice in dh's mailbox at work and he has to go to the post office, where the customs guy opens it in front of him.

Ages ago I shipped some books home (to the US) from Egypt via sea, they were simply put in small bundles, wrapped in heavy-duty paper and tied with twine.. Now those did have some damage to the corners, and in a couple of cases the paper was torn to shreds (with the twine still there), but I expected that... However, it was the only way I could afford to ship so many books.

Sorry you've had such negative experiences...

I was the local representative for Scholastic Books, ordering for homeschoolers in the city. Most of the packages arrived in fine condition and reasonably fast. One took six months however and arrived mangled. It turned out that some helpful person at the Scholastic Germany office (which used to ship to us) had written 'Beijing' on the package. China is a large country with many airports. Instead of coming straight to us, the box went to Beijing and then (once it had lain around a bit, probably) was sent down to us by train.

Laura

Side note I have had a few packages that just come through USPS that look just as a bad. One book was not even recognizable anymore. It looked like they mail carrier tied it to this truck bumper and drove around for a few days then decided it was time to give it to me. IT was horrible.

I don't mean to laugh but your description about the poor book being tied to the truck bumper is hilarious.

I don't mean to laugh but your description about the poor book being tied to the truck bumper is hilarious.

Well that is what it looked like. Good thing it was a cookbook and not a math book or I would not be able to laugh.:lol: