Menu

Can you share what you daily schedule for Open Texture's Elementary Greek looks like?

Tami

Dh and I have decided to use this with our rising 6th grader in the fall. She does best with an independent type checklist and routine. I have my own workbook and plan to go through the course too.

Can you share what your daily/weekly schedule is for Elementary Greek? Do you add daily drill?

TIA!

: )

Tami

Sure...

On Sunday, I plan to do our Greek this week.

On Monday, I figure I still have the entire week left and it's okay of we didn't get to it.

On Tuesday, I really mean to do it, but the day just gets away from me.

On Wednesday, we have a lot to do, so it doesn't get done.

On Thursday, I figure it's too late now and we will just start fresh the next week.

On Friday, as I fall across the couch exhausted, not getting Greek done is on eof the things that I list when I feel guilty for the week.

On Saturday, we put it back on the shelf when we clean up.

On Sunday, the cycle starts all over.

:001_smile:

Oh, you meant how should you REALLY do it...

Yes, you would need to do daily drill. There are daily exercise in the workbooks, too, for each lesson.

My kids do it more or less independently, a lesson a day. Then I quiz them on their vocabulary, do flash cards with them, and quiz their memory work. It takes just a couple of minutes a day, though admittedly I don't get to it every day. I also urge them to listen to the CD several times a week.

Our schedule is much like angela's. :o(

Seriously, we used Hey, Andrew, Teach Me Some Greek, level 2 and then tried EG. It moved to fast (or rather, we moved too slow.) I keep thinking I should try it again with dd and leave ds out of the equation.

If you hit a wall with the alphabet, you may want to use Hey, Andrew first. It's a lot like "handwriting", but it helped cement the phonics of Greek for us.

Hopefully you'll do better than we did.

My kids do it more or less independently, a lesson a day. Then I quiz them on their vocabulary, do flash cards with them, and quiz their memory work. It takes just a couple of minutes a day, though admittedly I don't get to it every day. I also urge them to listen to the CD several times a week.

Fir the independent work, do you have them use the teacher's manual or just do the workbook? I am hoping to have a daily checklist for her, rather than having to nag...er....urge. :p

Apparently I'm not alone, huh? bwahahahahaaaaa :D

Seriously, sorry to ruin your thread. Doesn't anyone have a schedule for Tami????

(They would have to use the textbook each day, as the info is needed each day to complete the workbook. The lesson is broken down into small pieces for each day.)

Tami, it's easy to schedule because both the text and workbook divide each week's lesson into 5 day's worth of work. The text's headings are "Day 1," "Day 2," etc., and the workbook's lessons use decimals -- "Lesson 12.1", 12.2, etc. So, for each day, I read from the text book to all three of us (because I only bought 1 text) and then we each do our exercises in our workbooks.

I don't have a set schedule for listening to the CD, but I like for us to at least practice the new vocabulary and verse at the beginning of the week with the CD. (As I type, I'm wondering why I don't use the CD nearly every day.) I usually have all of us spread out writing the new vocabulary and verse over the week, instead of just doing all of it on Day 1.

Now that we are nearing the end of EG1, the stack of flashcards takes awhile to get through. So, I recently divided it into 4 days worth on different color rings for M-Th. (I punch holes in flash cards and keep them on metal rings.) Any missed cards will be carried forward to the next day's ring.

I also don't have a set schedule for reviewing past verses and declensions, but I try to bring each up during the course of the week. We sometimes use our dry erase lap boards to write out declensions. The text also has reminders for review.

It's going well, and we really like EG!

Ds, 5th grade, does this independently. He reads the lesson and does the corresponding lesson in the workbook. I check his work with the answer key, quiz him on vocab and have him recite his Bible verses to me.

We are about half way done with the first book and have done 3 years of Latin, so as we get deeper into Greek I might have to read ahead a bit to understand what he's doing. but for now it's pretty easy to pick up.

As far as a daily schedule, it's just do the next lesson. He listens to the CD when there is new vocab or a new verse. I really should have him listen to the verse/vocab for the lesson he's on every day.

Sorry, I never wrote out a check list, we just fell into a pattern. We got the lessons done in 3-4 days, if three we would take a day off and play games on day 5 and if 4 we would play games on day 5.

Day 1 - Lesson 1 & 2

Day 2 - Lesson 3

Day 3 - Lesson 4

Day 4 - Lesson 5 (if needed, sometimes this lesson is reviewing vocab which we already do)

Day 5 - Review games, usually just a flashcard challenge, sometimes Jeopardy

I put all the vocabulary and paradigms on their iPods, I separated them so they could listen to their endings without having to go through gobs of vocab. They listened to the weekly lesson on day 1 and the weekly vocab and all/most paradigms on days 2 and/or 3.

HTH,

Karen

The amount of material to cover is laid out for each day. So this is what we do:

(1) My son recites all of the grammar forms and memory verses we have learned to date (takes about two minutes).

(2) I go over the content of the textbook with him. (Takes 1-5 minutes.)

(3) He does the workbook on his own and I check it. (Takes 5-20 minutes.)