Menu

daughter with brain damage

Hi, My daughter, who is just one, has been diagnosed with brain damage. I have 3 other children tht I homeschool, and I know it's a long time away, but just wondering what is required for disabled children. life it'self with all the therapy we are doing right now seems hard enough. I can't imagine teaching her a full scope and sequence that I have/will my others. Any suggestions/knowledge about this? We live in AL.

her limitations don't appear to be cognitive, but she is unable to hold her head up and can't sit up. she can use her hands some.

thanks.

:grouphug::grouphug: PT and OT can bring you very far down the road in the next few years. They will also be working with her on skills like writing when the time is appropriate. My dd is showing signs of brain damage as well and is being evaluated for CP. During the last year of OT and PT they have introduced every learning skill already, and taught me methods of working with her that I was unfamiliar with. When she reaches school age you will pick curriculums and paths of study that work with her strengths and adapt when needed. She may be able to handle a full scope and sequence then but maybe thru video and audio rather than more traditional methods.

Brain damage doesn't mean cognitive delays just yet. Don't worry about that before you get there. Right now just create a language rich environment with lots of talking, songs, and books- just like you would with other children.

The national organization for special needs hsers is NATTHAN (or maybe NATHHAN.) One of the letters is doubled as I recall. Google "special needs homeschoolers" and it will come up.

Thank you!. HSLDA now also has a special needs consultant for homeschoolers. I don't know what help they offer though.

:grouphug: At this stage, just take things one day at a time and put one foot in front of the other . . . don't project too far into the future . . . just love your family and trust you will make the right decisions one at a time, as they come up.:grouphug:

:grouphug: At this stage, just take things one day at a time and put one foot in front of the other . . . don't project too far into the future . . . just love your family and trust you will make the right decisions one at a time, as they come up.:grouphug:

:iagree: I am a PT for developmentally delayed children. I cannot tell you how many children I have seen diagnosed with brain damage who end up doing so many things their doctors originally said they wouldn't.

One in particular I always remember because I saw her first at 3 mos old and the mother cried every time I visited as she recounted what the doctors were saying...the baby had calcifications and damage in many different parts of her brain and would be severely delayed with athetoid CP. By 2.5yo the little girl was advanced for her age and no longer needed therapy. Not every case is a miracle like that but I could tell you many whose potential ended up being much higher than originally predicted.

The brain is an amazing organ and often different parts will compensate for others. With adults, damage to a particular part of the brain results in a specific deficit in function but it is not so black and white with babies.

Just take it one day at a time. There is no crystal ball to let you know what the future will hold. Please just do a little something every day and follow the advice of your therapists. The children I have seen who tend to progress the best are those whose families follow through and involve their babies in everything going on in the family...talking to them all day long, making them work for toys they want, expecting just a little more out of them than they think they can do rather than baby-ing them and just doing everything for them.

:grouphug: Wishing you all the best. Please PM me if you have any questions in particular. I'd be happy to help.