Menu

Wall Map/Etc. Recommendations

zenjenn

We have a LARGE blank wall in our school room/dining room, and I am looking to fill it with educational materials!

One thing I know for sure I want included - two large, clear, easy-to-read political maps - one of the world and one of the United States.

I would like them to be rolled maps so they don't have creases, and if they are laminated or printed on something that can be used with dry-erase markers, all the better. Also an option perhaps - if they come in a cheap frame so I can use dry-erase markers on the glass, but the framed large maps I have found so far cost a fortune.

I am also open to recommendations for anything else that would be appropriate for this HUGE wall. Ages are 1st and 3rd grade, so we're probably too young for something like the periodic table. I am putting up the cursive alphabet, and I will probably include a Hebrew alphabet chart (we are Jewish and study Hebrew).

What else? I want information that is USEFUL to have access to visually on a daily basis, not just fluff or posters encouraging you to read like they have in classrooms.

All recommendations appreciated, especially with links! :)

Edited by zenjenn

I bought inexpensive ones on Amazon, but then I bought a more heavily laminated one for my son because he wanted to use it a lot on the floor and because he wanted to draw on it a lot with wet erase markers.

I bought the better one from here:

http://www.mapcenter.com

They have all sorts of sizes and styles to choose from. The shipping was great in that the map was well-treated. I cannot vouch for the same treatment from Amazon. :glare:

The cheaper Amazon ones were:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0762521236/ref=wms_ohs_product_T2

What an opportunity! Have you thought about some kind of system that you can (relatively) easily swap out? That would let you change things as you go, and your topics (and kids) change. Even just a large bulletin board (or large piece of poster board covered with material and hung on the wall.

You might be able to frame the maps yourself if you wanted to. Some molding or trim cut at an angle and a large piece of cardboard for backing. Although, the PP's comment about using them on the floor might make that not as desirable...

I do have a really handy laminated placemat-size map that we bring out when we want to look at something, as well as a large folding map. I liked the idea of something that could be on the wall and stay on the wall and out of the way, yet still be marked regarding areas of currently-relevant studies.

I definitely want to switch things out based on what they are studying. Obviously the cursive alphabet doesn't need to be up there forever, but it's probably good for a few years considering my youngest (a nice reference, even once we are not actively studying cursive).

So for the fall maybe a map about the ancient world would be appropriate, and maybe a few things that are not super useful but would be interesting to the kids (like a solar system chart).

This wall really is a great opportunity. It has been blank and I've avoided using it because our school room is also our dining room and I had in the back of my head I was going to but some elegant artwork or something there, but after 2 years of this I have come to really embrace that this is our life, and it would be foolish to waste that space just so the dining room looks elegant the handful of times a year I actually use that room to "dine", whereas we school in that room at least 5 days a week!

This may not be quite what you're looking for but I bought these for our school room. They are heavily laminated and I use both dry and wet erase markers on them all the time. My kids love them and they are huge. Mine didn't come on the backboard like they state in the listing, but I had a spare one from some old school maps and dh helped me swap them out.

Borders has rolled maps and you can use their coupons. I got an unlaminated map of the world for less than $4.00 using my 40% off coupon. I saw rolled maps at Barnes and Noble too, but they don't issue such large coupons.

Have you thought of making posters instead of lapbooks? You could just paste all the lapbook materials onto posterboard.

I also saw circles of peel and stick chalkboard at Borders in different colors. I liked the hot pink ones :-) I couldn't afford them though :-0

I bought these ones. They are bigger than I expected and I love the colors. I think they're beautiful. They are laminated so my kids draw on them with wipe off markers (marking places they want to go, etc.) I plan to have us marking up places as we study them next year. They are from National Geographic and are quite detailed.