Menu

American history readers and read-alouds..

buttercup

Well, at first I was planning on doing ancient history for my 2nd and 5th grader. After more thought, I decided that American History might be more appropriate and that is what they both would like to study. I also try to go with their interests. I know they would LOVE WP American Story, but I just do not have enough money to buy the set. I thought I could put together some readers and read-alouds to read and possibly use some sort of spine.

What do you think of Mara Pratt's History Stories?

Also what are some of your favorite read-alouds and readers from this time period that would be appropriate for a 2nd and 5th grader? I've looked at the book lists from Sonlight, WP, HOD, but my problem is I do not know which ones would be hits and which ones would be boring for my kids. I have considered that different children have different preferences but I would still like to hear what were the big hits in your family for this time period. I am thinking more specifically of the 1st half of American history.

I look forward to hearing your responses. Thanks so much!

We are embarking on an American History adventure this coming year. I love these books. We have Volumes I through IV. Although her attitudes towards Native Americans match those times, we can easily discuss, not even omit. A far gentler and tolerant approach than, say, H.E. Marshall's This Country of Ours IMO. In fact, I'm going to start a thread asking how people have used this. I'm excited, and think ds will enjoy it too.

In general, my kids have loved 80% of the SL books...son more than daughter. If you have a girl, the American Girl books are excellent. the Jean Fritz books are easy for both ages mentionned and fun and imformative. For your older the SL read alouds would be great books to get from the library...SL tends to use Newberry winners, etc so most are easy to find or have ordered...

Erin

We are embarking on an American History adventure this coming year. I love these books. We have Volumes I through IV. Although her attitudes towards Native Americans match those times, we can easily discuss, not even omit. A far gentler and tolerant approach than, say, H.E. Marshall's This Country of Ours IMO. In fact, I'm going to start a thread asking how people have used this. I'm excited, and think ds will enjoy it too.

Do you have a link?:001_smile:

We also love the Bulla and Fritz books!

The Maestros (Betsy and Gulio, I think) have out a whole series of history books with beautiful illustrations.

Genevieve Foster's books on Washington and Lincoln are longer, but give a good review of what was going on in the world at the time of those men's lives. Fiona Macdonald has out a shorter World in the Time of Lincoln book that's good, too.

Read-Aloud Books that both my daughter age 8-9 and son 11-12 liked were (the ones with * are favorites):

The Birchbark House*

Walk the World's Rim

Pocahontas and the Strangers

The Sign of the Beaver*

Roanoke The Lost Colony

The Witch of Blackbird Pond*

Paddle to the Sea

Johnny Tremain*

Mr. Revere and I*

Childhood of Famous Americans - George Washington

Childhood of Famous Americans - Martha Washington

Carry On Mr. Bowditch*

Fever 1793* (a bit graphic about the sickness)

We also loved the Mara Pratt books.

Good luck,

Well, at first I was planning on doing ancient history for my 2nd and 5th grader. After more thought, I decided that American History might be more appropriate and that is what they both would like to study. I also try to go with their interests. I know they would LOVE WP American Story, but I just do not have enough money to buy the set. I thought I could put together some readers and read-alouds to read and possibly use some sort of spine.

Also what are some of your favorite read-alouds and readers from this time period that would be appropriate for a 2nd and 5th grader? I've looked at the book lists from Sonlight, WP, HOD, but my problem is I do not know which ones would be hits and which ones would be boring for my kids. I have considered that different children have different preferences but I would still like to hear what were the big hits in your family for this time period. I am thinking more specifically of the 1st half of American history.

I look forward to hearing your responses. Thanks so much!

If you have a good library system I would recommend getting TruthQuest History. They have an American History for elementary students. American History for Young Students I believe. It's wonderful commentary with chronological book list. The list is amazingly extensive with non-fiction, and historical fiction. It's also organized by suggested grade level so you can pick things on level for readers and above level for read-alouds. Many of the books have some type of notes to help you decide if you want to read it. Girl/Boy book. Popular. Mature content. Favorite Author. Rare Gem. :001_smile: Those are my abbreviated notes. The book has a bit more. I think you can see samples on their website