Menu

Those of you with logic-stage kids (writing question)

All of her Writing Strands assignments (usually about 2 every three weeks)

Occasional Rod and Staff writing assignments if we don't do Writing Strands or other major writing that week

OR

One presention assignment that she is working on for something like a social studies or science project.

I understand the case for polishing everything, but DD is a fine composer of written work but a poor 'polisher' and I have found that to maintain and expand her writing, it is essential to separate composing from her polishing work to some extent, or else she would back off on the length and complexity of her writing. So we are also doing Phonetic Zoo for spelling, Rod and Staff for grammar, punctuation, and usage, and Editor in Chief for proofreading.

She polishes about two assignments in three weeks, depending on their length and complexity. She did a huge project on Captain Cook and English exploration this year, and her polishing of all of those writing pieces took several weeks, but was excellent in the end. I did not regret not making her polish RS assignments during that period. (She wrote and typed 3 pages on the history of England, relating it to Captain Cook, 2 pages on Captain Cook's life, 1 1/2 pages on the Magna Carta and how it related to English and American history, two short summaries of interviews with people who had visited modern day England and French Polynesia, and a short paragraph on the design and development of the British flag.) She does about two projects like this per year.

Well, if I read them over and they're rife with errors, then I will generally point out corrections that need to be made. With my older son, I rarely ever needed to require him to do a rewrite, unless he was just completely slacking on something. I'm not sure yet how that will go with my younger son....

My two both write mostly on the computer nowadays, which makes editing very easy. Yes, we revise. Rarely does either child need to completely restructure a writing assignment- I would consider that a failure on my part as teacher- but, grammar and punctuation, sometimes spelling errors, sometimes things are written in a way that is unclear and needs to be reworded- these still occur frequently, and I don't completely approve a paper until it is corrected. It doesn't generally take long though. I don't tend to have them write and rewrite assignments, although maybe in the future we will, although I am not sure if it will be necessary.

Once an assignment is revised, I print it out.