Menu

Car ? : repair or replace?

The transmission went out on my van today. :( It's a 2000 Ford Windstar with about 105000 miles. To fix it is going to very costly. If we buy something else, it will be used, but I think we could afford something about 5 years younger and with less than 80000 miles. We have never had car payments, and I hate to take one on. But I don't want to pour money into a dying vehicle either. Any advice or opinions?

Have you checked to see what the expected lifespan is on the van? We have a Suburban and the transmission had to be replaced at about 100,000 miles. We now have over 200,000 miles on it and it is still going strong. It was well worth the cost to repair it instead of buying a used car.

We recently replaced our transmission (and computer chip - double whammy!). We've always found that fixing the old car usually ends up costing less than buying a newer one. We also do not ever want car payments. Unless there are other major things coming up (according to mechanic or consumer reports) I would definitely vote for fixing it. I would only buy a newer one if I had the cash lying around and had my emergency fund, etc. fully funded.

Well, we had no choice and had to do to the transmission replacement on our 1995 Ford Windstar. Getting a new van/car isn't an option -- even a used one. We did it about 3 years ago. This van is known for needing new transmissions at 100K. Currently our van has 160K miles on it and is still going well. We have a couple of minor issues that need to be addressed but the car is still running well.

I love my van, but yes little things need fixed on it. I would replace my Windstar's transmission too. Mine is a 2003 and only has 67k on it. I know what I will need to do in about 30k more though. LOL

I too agree with the above posters. I do not like to have a car payment. They suck worse than fixing my van. (I am working on preteen language for communication purposes. :D)

I'd probably go ahead and replace the transmission, if other things look to be doing well. We've driven Fords from that time period into much higher miles. My 2000 Expedition, before it was totaled in an accident, was at about 135K miles and only barely starting to show signs of needing a bit of work (and IIRC, not the bigger stuff like the transmission and engine). Might also depend on how much you drive it.