Menu

My brain is fried, ideas please...

For those of you that don't do school over the summer, what kinds of activites do you plan for you kids to do? My ds has a friend who comes over a lot during the summer. Love this kid, he's a good kid and the boys get along great. Typically they spend all day together which I am totally fine with, but I want to avoid the all day video game sessions. I am trying to put together a list of things for them to do instead, like a Mom's Survial Kit for the Boys of Summer. There is a pool for them to swim in so that's good for about an hour or two. They are active boys who like to "do" things. I am thinking like cooking, crafts, scienc-y stuff. Sadly, my brain is shot. Any ideas, or websites the hive can recommend to spark my creativity?

The boys down the street from us are digging some sort of underground shelter. They're outside everyday with shovels.

The Dangerous Book is good. There is also a Handy Boys book. Lego Mindstorms are good for that age too.

If they are already accustomed to playing video games all day, there will be resistance to other activities.

For those of you that don't do school over the summer, what kinds of activites do you plan for you kids to do? My ds has a friend who comes over a lot during the summer. Love this kid, he's a good kid and the boys get along great. Typically they spend all day together which I am totally fine with, but I want to avoid the all day video game sessions. I am trying to put together a list of things for them to do instead, like a Mom's Survial Kit for the Boys of Summer. There is a pool for them to swim in so that's good for about an hour or two. They are active boys who like to "do" things. I am thinking like cooking, crafts, scienc-y stuff. Sadly, my brain is shot. Any ideas, or websites the hive can recommend to spark my creativity?

I would just tell them no video games and let them come up with ideas. :D

I polled my boys last week and here are some things we've come up with for every one:

Trail biking

hiking

roller skating (check the closest rink for hours)

The olders will be playing air soft with the neighbors, dh wants to go play put put, I want to go swimming, the youngest wants to go to an "adventure" playground. We plan on going to the library once a week and the beach a couple of times. We are also planning a trip to DC.

The 17yo has a part time job, that helps keep him busy. Plus he bought himself a summer pass to a local theme park. He also bikes around the neighborhood with his 12yo brother.

If they get bored, there is always grass to mow and a garden to weed.