Menu

Post-Hysterectomy Libido

Someone posted a thread about a month ago about hysterectomies, but I'm looking for some additional information about post-hysterectomy sex, specificaly.

I have no sexual issues at all and had no idea that some people experience problems in that area after the surgery (assuming the ovaries are left in tact). Now I'm reading that some have problems with loss of libido, loss of ability to experience orgasm and vaginal dryness. None of these is appealing to me at all, particularly since I'm not having thos problems now.

We've tried pharmaceutical treatment of my problems for years and nothing has worked. I'm not a good candidate for ablation because of my age, and my gynocologist is not confident that the fibroid embolization will work either because my issues pre-date the formation of the fibroids. That said, I have NO desire to hinder my sex life and would likely continue other medical options if that's going to be the case.

Anyone have the problem? Please say no....

No personal experience, but a friend of mine had a hysterectomy for uterine fibroids. Hers was done laparascopically (sp?). She said she had No Problems, teA-wise. Her only problem was abdominal swelling, but it didn't affect the teA-making or brewing processes at all.

Most issues due to hysterectomy would be the same as normal aging and menopause would cause. There is a plethora of products available for dryness for example. Many herbal supplements (taken orally) are supposed to help as well.

Even if the ovaries are left intact, eventually they will stop producing hormones at the levels they used to.

I would not worry about it but do what is medically necessary or even to be more comfortable if it is not considered a medical necessity.

a hysterectomy for uterine fibroids. Hers was done laparascopically (sp?). She said she had No Problems, teA-wise. Her only problem was abdominal swelling, but it didn't affect the teA-making or brewing processes at all.

This has been my experience too. I had a supra-cervical hyst. when I was 37 due to a huge fibroid. No problems or bad side effects. not having to worry about a montly cycle has been freeing in all ways. I brew and enjoy teA often here:D For some reason teA just tastes better in my 40's!

ETA: no abdominal swelling for me, was back to normal quickly

What's a supra-cervical hysterectomy? Is it what it sounds like....that they leave the cervix intact?

Yes, exactly! There were many reason to leave it, so my dr. did. I still have a little spotting each month because i still have both my ovaries too. Hormones are working fine, at least, all the men in the house would tell you i go a little crazy....regularly!

• 2 weeks later...