Menu

Favorite Writing for 6th and 7th graders who do not like writing....

I'm looking to combine my 6th/7th graders in most of their studies...especially writing (that way I only have to hear the grunting and gnashing of teeth once for the day). In the past we have written summaries of our history or science which produced fair work, but nothing with a lot of substance. I'm wanting to advance their writing and for their samples to be longer. Every sample they write I sit with them and prompt them to think a little deeper so I'm hoping they can improve on that skill.

SO...any favorite writing programs for this?? I really need something that isn't too teacher-intensive, but of course I'll do what I need to do.

Thanks!!

Jump In available through Apologia comes to mind. The 5-Finger Paragraph Method is another. Writing Skills by EPS books. The Paragraph Book series by EPS Books. IEW Student Writing Intensive-B.

I was going to recommend a few of the same ones as training5.

Writing Skills (EPS) - Not exciting but provides a slow step-by-step progression. This is what my DDs needed to give them enough confidence to actually be able to do writing assignments without me sitting right beside them. Workbook format and inexpensive. Completely secular.

Jump In - Much more fun but still provides lots of support/direction to the students. We found this a great follow up to the Writing Skills books. Christian publisher with a few topics that some feel are inappropriate for the target age group.

Pegasus

I was going to suggest Jump In too. It was great for my reluctant 7th grader and worked for my natural writer that was in 5th at the time too.

I used Wordsmith Apprentice before that, but it was very light. I looked at Wordsmith after Jump In and realized I should have done WS first if I was going to do it.

I have a dyslexic rising 6th grader, and a dysgraphic rising 7th grader- neither of whom like to read/write. They both started Jump In 2 months ago and they don't hate it! We have tried...everything! Writing Strands, Spectrum, Flash Forward, WWE,Just Write, and more that lasted such a short amount of time that I have forgotten them altogether. This is the only one that they don't hate. That is huge for us!! And I love the fact we can use it for 2 years.

Have you seen the samples for Writing with Skill? I know it is level 5, but I am going to use it with ds for 7th next year. It is so much more than I expected it to be and it is directed to the student with suggestions for the parent to help.

Off topic here: Maybe your boys would enjoy learning to type (if they haven't already).

This year I bought a vintage manual typewriter...just because. My children cannot get enough of it. I find Bible verses typed all over my house. Now they ask to do their writing pages on it. I write my twin sister a page letter most days now on my clunker....and, yes, we do own a computer:)

BTW, it was David McCullough who inspired my typewriter purchase. He wrote all of his history biographies using his old typewriter...and continues to do so. http://giambarba.com/mccullough/mccullough.html

Janell

Edited by LivingHope

I have been having the same problem with my soon to be 7th grader. I have looked around a bit and I continue to come back to Write On! At $25 (ebook or $30 print) for four levels, I figure it's worth a shot!

I'll also be using her "Grammar Slammer" game ($19 ebook or $24 printed), as well as her "Matchcard Science" (free).

I'm really liking the gentle approach she goes for.