Menu

What reading level is McGruffy Eclectic reader 4?

Aludlam

Wow. That's not what I was expecting. We looked at book 3 online. She could easily read the first and last selections, so I figured we should be in book 4. I looked at only the first one of book 4. I had no idea that it was so advanced.

I was looking at my Harp and Laurel Wreath. I wonder if I could "get 2 birds" if I just had her read from it. I could work our reading and memory work / poetry introduction together. Plus, I already have it. I'm just really wanting something short and sweet for oral reading. We've tried to read chapters from her "reading" books before, but it just didn't work for us (b/c I would get behind and not get to her oral reading, and then she would get behind in her reading.)

What do you guys think?

We read one passage out of the readers Tuesdays and Thursdays. They usually read it out loud so I can make sure they understand the text. I have them copy a few sentences into their notebooks or I dictate a sentence from the reading.

We bought the whole set a couple of years ago. It's cheaper if you buy the set. They really are awesome little readers. Some of the language is very old and my kids end up looking up stuff in the dictionary or we talk about the meaning.

My 6 yro just started the Primer, the 8 yro is in the 2nd Reader and the 9 yro is in the 3rd Reader.

There are two different McGuffey Series - One set starts with a primer, than first through sixth readers. This set is on grade level up till about half way through the fourth, then it progresses in level pretty quickly. This version has burgundy binding, and a gold cover with blue floral designs.

The other version only goes up to a forth reader, and has a plainer cover (can't remember how it looks exactly). This one progresses in difficulty MUCH quicker.

ETA - oops, I see the 'other' version also goes up to six. So we'll use dates -

1836 VERSION: FOURTH READER = HIGH SCHOOL,

LATE 1800s/ EARLY 1900s: CLOSE TO GRADE LEVEL until half way through 4th, than progresses quickly (We own this set)

Edited by mamalbh

Ah. I must have ordered the wrong version. I have the fourth reader and there is no way it is for the fourth year of school.

OK, I got out our McGuffey Readers. :D I agree, there's no way the 4th reader is a 4th grade reading level. I'm looking at it right now.

Do you have the version where it starts (after all the phonics/grammar stuff in the beginning) with PERSEVERANCE. And there's a story about kite flying? The language is hard for ME to read. I think because it's just really old. We don't talk like that anymore. :tongue_smilie: It's like Shakespeare. I'm flipping thru the book and seeing words like eulogy, unsuspected, ingratitude, effaced, pettishly, manifold...

:eek:

Edited to say: I don't know what effaced OR manifold mean. Ah, sigh.

Edited by starrbuck12

Hmmmm:confused:

Our Fourth Reader starts with that story about the kite, but my 9 yo dd is half way through the book just fine. We do google stuff I don't know the meaning of, but it's usually only a word or two a story. I also ask lots of questions to make sure she fully understands. This is the only thing that I make her read to me due to all the old fashioned language.

So am I a meanie for making her read it?

I can't remember where or when, but I know that when I read something from the other series it seemed much harder, I'll try finding it.

Edited by mamalbh

Well looking at the table of contents here are a few of the titles:

I. - Remarkable Preservation

II. - The Maniac

III. - Scene at the Sandwich Islands

My son can read the text, but the themes and maturity of the stories are just too out there for him. I think the text is very difficult. Not to mention it's not secular (which I didn't realize when I bought it).

The original copyright date on my version is 1837.

Yea - that's definitely the harder version - my first three are "Perseverance", "Try, Try, Again", "Why the Sea is Salt"

The "Perseverance" in my version must be easier - I didn't see the words Starbuck mentioed

We are planning on using this for oral reading this school year. What reading level do you think this is?

thanks

DD7 in 1st grade has no problem reading out of the third reader, she will be using the fourth reader for 2nd grade. We use John Wiley & Sons editions of the Eclectic Readers and started with the third reader as recommend in WTM. HTH! ;)

effaced(I only hear this word now a days in reference to giving birth, meaning thinnning or going away of the cervix)

–verb (used with object), -faced, -fac·ing.

1. to wipe out; do away with; expunge: to efface one's unhappy memories.

2. to rub out, erase, or obliterate (outlines, traces, inscriptions, etc.).

3. to make (oneself) inconspicuous; withdraw (oneself) modestly or shyly.

Manifold(would seem to me to have to do with many, or variety)

man·i·fold (mabreve.gifnprime.gifschwa.gif-fomacr.gifldlprime.gif) adj. 1. Many and varied; of many kinds; multiple: our manifold failings.

2. Having many features or forms: manifold intelligence.

3. Being such for a variety of reasons: a manifold traitor.

4. Consisting of or operating several devices of one kind at the same time.

n. 1. A whole composed of diverse elements.

2. One of several copies.

3. A pipe or chamber having multiple apertures for making connections.

4. Mathematics A topological space or surface.

tr.v. man·i·fold·ed, man·i·fold·ing, man·i·folds 1. To make several copies of, as with carbon paper.

2. To make manifold; multiply.

I had to look them up just to see if I was right;), and I do not know anything about Mcguffy readers.

I think the oldest, original McGuffey's are the hard ones, but the slightly revised ones are more on target for grade levels. Landmark Curriculum pretty much matches grade level to McGuffey reader number and I know many students that read just fine that way.

Elson readers are good. We have done the primer and first level. Love the teacher's manual that goes along with each one. The comp questions and worksheets really fill out the lesson, along with the story.

The "Perseverance" in my version must be easier - I didn't see the words Starbuck mentioed

Oh! Those were words I found while randomly flipping through the reader! (Sorry, I'm clear as mud sometimes. :tongue_smilie:)

Well, whatever grade level they're at, we like 'em! They're just a supplement to our reading, but they're great for notebooking. Like I said, I have them read a passage aloud (which is good practice) and they do some copywork/dictation from the passage.

And, like the other poster mentioned, there is religious content in these (which seemed strange to me). My parents said that even when they were in school (in the late 50s), their textbooks/schoolbooks would have religious content in them. So, I guess our schools weren't very secular back then.

Very interesting about the readers!! :thumbup1: