Menu

Help!!! Transitioning from bottle to cup!

So my 12 month old has been weaned off of formula and is on whole milk. Pediatrician wants her off the bottle ASAP, and it has been WAR!!! I tried to start her on a sippy cup with handles when she was 9-months old, just like I did with her siblings. This is the look I got :001_huh:. Then after her 12 month check-up I threw away all of her bottles and gave her different sippy cups to see which one she liked the best. Still I got this:001_huh:. After a couple of days, I had to run to the store and I bought her a couple of bottles because she wasn't drinking at all unless it was from an "adult" cup or from a straw. I tried the sippy cups with the straw and still I get this :001_huh:. Now, instead of :001_huh:, I get :angry: any time I give her a cup. My mom and DH says to give her time, that some kids don't accept change as easily as others....but I'm scared that I'll have a 3 year old still wanting a bottle with tooth decay!!!! I hate to see what we're going to go through when I plan on taking her binky!!!! Suggestions please!!!!

It took my ds a couple of days, but he was 2-1/2....just one bottle in the evening. He was NOT happy and threw his cup across the room the first time I gave it to him. Of course, there's a tad more (not much) reasoning with a 2-1/2 year old vs. a 12 month old. But I agree...they don't HAVE to have a sippy if they'll do a straw or regular cup.

Do you want her off the bottle right now?

Green Sprouts makes a two-handled cup with a sippy top that snaps on (most seem to screw on). My DS has never used the sippy top (or any sippies at all), but the two handles makes it a little easier to hold. He prefers adult cups, too, which I let him use if I'm there to supervise--otherwise, he sometimes tries to throw them onto the floor when he's done. Also, if you use the straw cups, try disabling the anti-spill valve, which will make it easier to suck liquid up the straw. Most can be cut off or punctured.

I appreciate the input and advice. I've thought about getting her the small cups with lids that have straws (not the sippy cup, but the kid cup), but I'd figured they'd be messy since they're not spill/leak proof...although that may be the only cup she'll take. I'm fine with her being on the bottle as long as it doesn't interfere with the development of her mouth or teeth, but the pediatrician says the longer I wait the harder it will be to take her off the bottle, and THIS is what scares me. My other two children were so easy; they drank out of whatever I gave them. But now that I think about it...my oldest daughter wasn't really on a sippy cup that long before she used regular cups.

If you're not ready and don't think she's ready, don't let this be your battle right now. Like I said, my oldest was 2-1/2. He has perfect teeth. And a 2 year old so much easier to persuade than a one year old.

Thanks....I feel better already. She :001_wub: her bottle, and giving her a straw cup exclusively doesn't seem practical right now, especially for travel. So I'm gonna take a :chillpill: and enjoy my baby....bottle and all. And I'll let her pediatrician know the next time I see her that she just isn't ready yet. What is she gonna do? Revoke my parenting license?

Thanks....I feel better already. She :001_wub: her bottle, and giving her a straw cup exclusively doesn't seem practical right now, especially for travel. So I'm gonna take a :chillpill: and enjoy my baby....bottle and all. And I'll let her pediatrician know the next time I see her that she just isn't ready yet. What is she gonna do? Revoke my parenting license?

Exactly! :grouphug:

One more note. I don't think you need to do switch to a cup right away! But one thing I'd always heard is to only give juice in a cup, never the bottle. She may like the cup better if it has juice in it. Give her a cup with juice a couple times a day. Give her the bottle with milk in it until she's ready to let it go.

And a note on the binky - my oldest was pushing 2 and still had hers. I was not looking forward to not having it. I must have had a dozen. They were everywhere. She still needed it. No, maybe I was down to a passy only a sleeping times. It got to be nap time the weekend she turned 2, I couldn't find any of them! I was frantic trying to find one. I finally looked at her and told her "mommy can't find any passies. I'm sorry! You'll have to go for nap without one." She sort of said ok and went for nap. NO problems at all. She never had one again. Two months later I found a whole box of them, in the car! I just threw them away with her never seeing them.

:grouphug::grouphug: These transitions are hard but they can be done.

Here is how I weaned my dd13 and ds9 off the bottle. Ds3 just weaned so he never used a bottle.

I gradually started watering the milk down until it was only water and then she didn't want it because she didn't always want water. She would want milk or juice. Worked like a charm for both of them.

cold. turkey.

You just have to do it. She will drink at some point - even if it is messily from a real cup or with a straw. My youngest holds the record in our family for battling against the sippy cup. It took three entire days of her warring against me and refusing to touch the thing before she finally grabbed the cup from my hands and sucked the entire thing down in a few minutes.

You can do it!