Menu

Learning to Write Letters

lea1

My two 5.5 YO sons do not enjoy learning to write their letters. We have the Zaner Bloser Handwriting book for K. I think it has fun looking pages with lots of color but this does not help them. They just do not enjoy trying to form the letter over and over. And they don't seem to remember it well later either. They are both quite capable and love to color and even write letters when it fits in with something they are playing.

Do any of you experienced mom's have any advice about this? Any ways to make it a bit more fun or is this just one of those things we must do.

If anyone else has used ZB K with a boy, did you do one side of a page per day or the front and back of a page per day? (One side has the capital letter and the reverse side has the lower case letter.)

They'd probably like more hands-on. Little hands get tired copying a letter over and over. With Handwriting Without Tears we used clay, wooden blocks, slate chalkboard, and some special writeon-off board that they used to sell. Honestly, you can do all that yourself though. Make the shapes out of cardstock, use play-doh, use sand on a cookie tray, etc...

Thanks for the ideas. I know you are both right on track for what we need to do.

Angela, I was just reading your blog because I am still trying to decide whether to start K with Right Start A or go straight in to Singapore Primary 1 (any advice?). Anyway, I noticed you used HWT which got me to thinking.... we have that because I originally intended to use it but then, for some reason, switched to BZ. I think I will use HWT instead. They have such great ideas for keeping it fun. I think this is just what we need and, thankfully, we already own it!

Thanks for your help.

I really loved that we started out with RightStart for K. I'm not sure my dd would have been ready for Singapore Primary 1A at age 4. We tried Singapore Earlybird but wasn't impressed. If RightStart doesn't sound appealing, I'd also suggest taking a look at MEP reception.

I really loved that we started out with RightStart for K. I'm not sure my dd would have been ready for Singapore Primary 1A at age 4. We tried Singapore Earlybird but wasn't impressed. If RightStart doesn't sound appealing, I'd also suggest taking a look at MEP reception.

Thanks Angela. I appreciate the advice. Just what I was looking for.:001_smile:

My son liked doing his letters in a "sandbox" or rice box. I just took a tupperware container and filled the bottom with colored sand. He loved writing the letter and then shaking it away.

Just wanted to chime in that this has been very important for my boys learning to write. We use salt instead of sand but it's the same principle. After that, we move to a whiteboard. The whiteboard is easier to write on than pencil and paper plus they get to pick different colored markers as the mood strikes. Only after that do I have them write on paper but still not writing much. By first grade, my oldest was plenty capable of doing WWE 1 on paper.

Are you doing any 'air writing'. DD likes to do this with her pirate sword, her fairy wand, a birthday streemer taped to a straw, etc. b/c she still switches hands we do both hands together, then say the letter, then I say the letter formation words, then she does it while saying the letter formation words, then, silently, then again with me saying the letter formation words. Then we write on huge handwriting lines w/ dry erase, then in sand, salt, oatmeal, etc. We do the worksheet last:)

We also use sidewalk chalk, and water paint on the sidewalk. DD loves the multi sensory stuff and it seems like the formations are sticking better:)

After that, we move to a whiteboard. The whiteboard is easier to write on than pencil and paper plus they get to pick different colored markers as the mood strikes.

However, if you are dealing with fine motor delays or sensory-motor planning issues, if you do OT, or are planning on switching to HWOT, you will want to avoid this technique. HWOT is based on using bumps and edges to teach letter formation and "feeling" where to start and stop for kids with fine motor difficulties. Working on a whiteboard, which is smooth and has no edges, is specifically taught to be avoided since it will undo or slow down some of the kinetic memory skills built into the program.

I use to print out large (half sheet or full sheet) letters and laminate them. Aa on a page, etc. Then they used clay to form the letters write on top of the laminated sheet. If you had a boy you could make it look like a road and drive their car over the letters.

Cut and paste letters from magazines, stamps, etc. onto a large sheet of paper with the letter of the day kind of thing. Letter of the day is a great idea too.