Menu

Saxon 8/7 vs. Algebra 1/2 (VP recommendation)

Ds is finishing his last lessons in Saxon 7/6, and after reading all I could about this issue, I decided we were going to continue with 8/7 in the fall (and then on to Algebra 1 next year...).

I stumbled across the recommendations on the Veritas Press site last night...and they seem to encourage the use of Algebra 1/2 after 7/6 :confused:...

Do you have any explanations for this?

The general consensus seems to be 8/7, right?:bigear:

(Btw, ds is not struggling...just the very average student, I guess...)

Thank you!!

...yes, me, too, I thought 8/7 was the way to go...but now I am intrigued about why VP would advise differently...?!?:confused::confused::confused:

I was studying the VP catalog last week and I've also been reading about options with Saxon math a lot recently. VP takes a very accelerated path with math just as they do with other subjects. They are recommending students take algebra in 7th and geometry in 8th and start high school with algebra 2, so it's no surprise that they have selected Alg 1/2 (which is supposed to be slightly tougher and have a more "mature" format than 8/7).

From what I have read, both 8/7 and alg 1/2 will prepare a child for Algebra 1, but 8/7 has more practice and review and leaves you the option of following it with 1/2 if your child needs another year of math before Algebra. So, anyway, Saxon's website recommends using 8/7 and then moving onto algebra unless your child is struggling.

Lisa

...yes, me, too, I thought 8/7 was the way to go...but now I am intrigued about why VP would advise differently...?!?:confused::confused::confused:

The explanation given in the VP catalog I have is that 87 is mostly review and the students they work with are usually ready to move on.

However - We are in 87 now (lesson 85) and I would not use the description "mostly review!" There is plenty of new material, particularly in algebra and geometry. And I would consider the rest - "reinforcement," not "review."

Whether you choose 87 or Alg 1/2, the next year you will likely be at the same place - Algebra 1. You just need to decide what your child needs.

My child is a bright kid, but he still needs the daily fact sheets, I know the mental math is still beneficial for him. He still needs reinforcement with fraction to decimal to percent conversions, memorizing and using geometry formulas, using unit multipliers, and working with word problems that use ratios.

There is a jump in difficulty from 76 to 87, that I have not noticed between the other Saxon levels. So please don't think that 87 is somehow an inferior choice, or a choice for less "mathy" kids. It comes down to what is right for you and your child.

Further more, regarding VP - they are working with kids in a private school setting and modifying it for homeschoolers. So their experience will be slightly different than the parent/child working at home. And they are using Algebra 1/2 in sixth grade!! There is no reason to have to compare our homes to their school.

I do wonder if Alg 1/2 would be easier on me the teacher, because I wouldn't have to put up with the child's resistance to do all those "reinforcement" problems. But what would be "easier" could be detrimental to my child if he doesn't have that solid foundation, and 87 is giving him that solid foundation.

I'm working through this decision, too. From the posts here, it seems that after 8/7 or 1/2, the student would likely move to Alegebra 1. We are part of a Classical conversations campus, and the directors are setting up the classes to do 8/7 in approximately 7th grade and 1/2 in 8th grade. Are any of you planning to do both 8/7 and 1/2 before Algebra 1?

Here's what I found on the Saxon homeschool website:

http://saxonhomeschool.hmhco.com/en/homeschool_faq.htm#recommend

What do you recommend for students after they have completed Math 7/6?

The recommended path after finishing Math 7/6 is to take Math 8/7. If your child finishes Math 8/7 with at least 80% mastery, skip ahead to Algebra 1. In previous editions, many people skipped Math 8/7 because they found it to be a weaker text than Algebra ½. In newer editions, pre-algebra content has been added to Math 8/7, making it a much stronger program.

I'm wondering if the Veritas recommendations are based on older editions of 8/7 that did not include so much pre-algebra.

...I can't imagine VP's recommendations been based on older editions...but who knows...

Also, I am wondering in which way it is relevant whether it is a 5th, 6th, 7th or 8th grader who continues his studies after 7/6?

Either the student has full grasp of the material, needs more time, is in trouble,...or not.

I don't see in which way the student's age plays any role in these considerations?

Our ds is just finishing fifth grade (7/6), and we use Saxon with the intention of having him do Algebra 1 in 7th. But if he were older, my considerations concerning the choice of the next book would be very much the same. I am looking at the kid, his needs, capabilities and also the goal...

I am still wondering how VP comes up with their recommendations, which go against what even Saxon is suggesting.... Is Algebra 1/2 considered "tougher"? How, then, can 8/7 be considered an equally thorough (or even "superior") preparation for Algebra 1?:confused::confused::confused:

I don't get it...

...I can't imagine VP's recommendations been based on older editions...but who knows...

Also, I am wondering in which way it is relevant whether it is a 5th, 6th, 7th or 8th grader who continues his studies after 7/6?

Either the student has full grasp of the material, needs more time, is in trouble,...or not.

I don't see in which way the student's age plays any role in these considerations?

Our ds is just finishing fifth grade (7/6), and we use Saxon with the intention of having him do Algebra 1 in 7th. But if he were older, my considerations concerning the choice of the next book would be very much the same. I am looking at the kid, his needs, capabilities and also the goal...

I am still wondering how VP comes up with their recommendations, which go against what even Saxon is suggesting.... Is Algebra 1/2 considered "tougher"? How, then, can 8/7 be considered an equally thorough (or even "superior") preparation for Algebra 1?:confused::confused::confused:

I don't get it...

I'm not sure either. I'm not convinced it's all "rigor", they use Jacob's for Algebra I and Geometry, then Forester II and Trig over two years and then Calculus over two years. Jacob's isn't the most rigorous Algrebra and Geometry, but may be a better choice for younger kids. Many PS/Private schools, and even homeschoolers I have heard of use the Forester book over 1 year. It's like a rush to high school, and then take your time, maybe with all the focus in Omnibus? I don't get their sequence. :confused:

The following was posted by the publishers of Saxon on a previous thread regarding this topic:

I guess this is as good a time as any for a first post, since this is a question that comes up a lot!

Our (the publisher's) recommendation is that students should take Math 8/7 after completing Math 7/6, and if they do well (80% mastery or better), they are ready to move on to Algebra 1. The reasons for this include the format, the review of basic math concepts, and the option to take Algebra 1/2 if you are not ready for Algebra 1 the following year.

We don't have a problem with Art's recommendation, since many people prefer Algebra 1/2 over Math 8/7 for one reason or another. And looking at them side by side should help you find the one you prefer.

The key is that both books are designed to prepare students for Algebra 1 the following year.

I hope you don't mind me popping on from time to time when a question like this arises. Y'all are great about answering each other's questions, but I know sometimes it helps to get it straight from the horse's mouth!

The following was posted by the publishers of Saxon on a previous thread regarding this topic:

I guess this is as good a time as any for a first post, since this is a question that comes up a lot!

Our (the publisher's) recommendation is that students should take Math 8/7 after completing Math 7/6, and if they do well (80% mastery or better), they are ready to move on to Algebra 1. The reasons for this include the format, the review of basic math concepts, and the option to take Algebra 1/2 if you are not ready for Algebra 1 the following year.

We don't have a problem with Art's recommendation, since many people prefer Algebra 1/2 over Math 8/7 for one reason or another. And looking at them side by side should help you find the one you prefer.

The key is that both books are designed to prepare students for Algebra 1 the following year.

I hope you don't mind me popping on from time to time when a question like this arises. Y'all are great about answering each other's questions, but I know sometimes it helps to get it straight from the horse's mouth!

I thought this was one of the posts that were all deemed to be from the same web address and blocked from the boards with the moderator comment of "trolls"? Maybe I'm confused?

Ds is finishing his last lessons in Saxon 7/6, and after reading all I could about this issue, I decided we were going to continue with 8/7 in the fall (and then on to Algebra 1 next year...).

I stumbled across the recommendations on the Veritas Press site last night...and they seem to encourage the use of Algebra 1/2 after 7/6 :confused:...

Do you have any explanations for this?

The general consensus seems to be 8/7, right?:bigear:

(Btw, ds is not struggling...just the very average student, I guess...)

Thank you!!

Assuming the student is doing well in Math 76: With previous editions, the sequence was Math 76, Alg. ½, Alg. 1. With current editions, it's Math 76, Math 87, Alg. 1.