Menu

summer lunches that aren't fatty or luncheon meat

A few of my kids make elaborate lunches during the winter. I'm trying to get them to think simple: sandwiches, a salad would hard boiled eggs or cheese. The truth is I've never liked lunch and usually grab the fastest thing or make a smoothie. My kids quick lunches are PB&J which they really don't like and I don't think are that healthy, or luncheon meat which I hate feeding them and normally it's not available in the fridge.

Pasta salad---so many fabulous combinations you could make, different types of dressings. This keeps well, so you could make a large batch and eat it for a few days.

Chef salads--with hard-boiled eggs, shredded cheese, veggies (of course) and some grilled chicken on top.

Chicken salad sandwiches?

Tuna salad sandwiches?

Leftovers from dinner the night before?

Chicken roll-ups---grilled chicken with lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, and ranch dressing--rolled into a tortilla.

Pasta salad---so many fabulous combinations you could make, different types of dressings. This keeps well, so you could make a large batch and eat it for a few days.

Chef salads--with hard-boiled eggs, shredded cheese, veggies (of course) and some grilled chicken on top.

Chicken salad sandwiches?

Tuna salad sandwiches?

Leftovers from dinner the night before?

Chicken roll-ups---grilled chicken with lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, and ranch dressing--rolled into a tortilla.

What kind of dressing on the pasta salad, any good for you ideas?

My kids often have yogurt, fruit and some sort of "other" like homemade granola bars.

Hummus, pita, veggies. Black bean nachos. Mac & cheese. Leftovers from the last couple nights. I have poached chicken breasts in the fridge for sandwiches...

Lots of options are quick, easy, and not processed. (mine get pretty excited when they have almond butter & jam; it's a rarity)

Here is our weekly lunch menu that we use as a guideline. I just make sure we have the ingredients on hand. Both the 14yo and 3yo can make most of it themselves with minimal supervision:

Mon: Pasta (any kind: salad, mac-n-cheese, etc)

Tues: Sandwiches

Wed: Rice & Nori OR soup

Thurs: Nachos OR Chef salad

Fri: Pizza (bagel pizzas or regular)

Sat: leftovers