Menu

Looking for fun & educational kids' videos...recommendations?

My kids also love Beakman for science, along with nature documentaries a la Attenborough, and Bill Nye. Wishbone is a quirky show about classic literature, featuring a dog--sounds crazy, but it's awesome, and my kids love the re-enactments of scenes from Twain, Dickens, etc. with the dog and his human family. The Mathtacular series is good, though I'd stick to DVDs 1-3; 4 is weaker. The material on 1 would be review for age 7, but 2 and 3 have some good stuff (factoring, prime numbers, geometry, etc.). My 8 year old and I greatly enjoyed a series about life in the medieval period, which I reviewed on my blog here. (If you visit my blog and click 'categories' and then 'movies and TV shows', you'll find lots more videos we've enjoyed in our HS). The same group did one about the Renaissance period as well, which was also good--though a bit drier. My son, who is very science-oriented, also greatly enjoyed the original Connections series hosted by James Burke, which takes an unconventional and twisting path via science and inventions through history, tracing for example how medieval sheep farming in France led (via connection, connection, connection) to the development of the computer microchip in the modern world. I have a detailed review here. There's an interesting movie about origami on Netflix called Between the Folds. And my kids are enjoying short chemistry-oriented videos on youtube from a pair of Swedish university students celebrating 2011 International year of chemistry--more details here.

My 8 year old and I greatly enjoyed a series about life in the medieval period, which I reviewed on my blog here.

This looks good, but I'm not sure where I'd get it. Amazon only has it on VHS. I did an internet search for it, and it looks like a complete set is pretty expensive (I was hoping to put it on an Amazon wishlist and get someone to get it for us!). If my library has it, it probably skips and freezes and is basically unwatchable. :glare:

ilovebooks, If she likes dinos, she might also enjoy the show Dino Dan. My two are dino-crazy and enjoy it, along with BBC documentaries like Walking With Dinos, Walking with Prehistoric Beasts, and the show Prehistoric Park. I'd avoid these if she's sensitive to violence, though; they are pretty realistic.