Menu

Bug (mosquito) repellent

What do you use?

We are already seeing mosquito borne illness in our area. :(

I could use some tried and true advice. Thus far in my mothering, we have just avoided as best we can- avoided bugs, avoided chemicals!

Also- tips on where to find it would help too!

Thanks,

Rebecca

I tried to use natural or DEET free spray, but they just don't work. Almost every year we have encephalitis outbreaks. Some years it even puts the breaks on school activities (no nighttime football games, etc.) and community events. Mostly we try to avoid being outside when the disease carrying mosquitoes are out, but that's early and late in the day - the times we would be outside if we go out during the hot summer. When faced with the choice between DEET products and mosquito borne disease, I choose DEET products. I don't like it, but for us it's one of those "lesser of two evils" things.

Yes! That is what we have begun to see... encephalitis. :(

Do you just go to Wal-Mart and buy kid insect repellent? Do you use it every day in the summer when the kids go out to play?

If you do and also use sunscreen- do you apply sunscreen first and then repellent?

:bigear:

Thank you very much,

Rebecca

Yes! That is what we have begun to see... encephalitis. :(

Do you just go to Wal-Mart and buy kid insect repellent? Do you use it every day in the summer when the kids go out to play?

If you do and also use sunscreen- do you apply sunscreen first and then repellent?

:bigear:

Thank you very much,

Rebecca

Yes and yes. We live in an area with dengue (called bone break fever), and travel in malaria places sometimes. Sunscreen first. Let that really soak in. Then bug spray. We use the Off brand family version.

Loose, lightweight clothing helps too, even though it seems counter-intuitive in hot weather. Maybe not for every day kind of things, but if you know you'll be somewhere especially saturated with mosquitos, it's a good idea. Loose, lightweight pants/jacket over swimsuits when heading to the beach, for ex. Or hiking in the woods, camping, etc.

Stuff you can take off to cool down, but that will give you protection in the most mosquitoy times of day. Spray the skin and the clothes if doing that with removable clothes/clothes you plan to take off.

We tried to avoid, but the choice of disease or deet, the deet wins out. DH & I had dengue and do NOT want the boys to ever ever ever have to deal with it.

BullFrog makes a combination sunscreen and repellent.

Also putting citronella plants near the doors you go in and out of most frequently can help cut down on the little blood suckers getting in the house. (It really stinks to have your baby wake up with bites where there were none at bedtime!)