Menu

Is Lial's Basic College Mathematics a good pre-algebra course?

DarlaS

My 14 yo dd who struggles with math is using it to prepare for Algebra 1. She had already had most of the concepts before, she just needed to brush up on her arithmetic, as you say. I was always a bit worried about how she would do on algebra and up, but after using BCM and seeing her progress, I think she'll do fine.

Particularly if you're of the mindset that a good pre-algebra course should be just one more good thorough trip through arithmetic?

If you're of the mindset that a good pre-algebra course should be just one more good trip through arithmetic, then BCM is exactly what you're looking for.

If you're of the mindset that pre-algebra should also include an introduction to early algebra concepts - integers, variables, solving for equations, plotting a simple linear equation - then their Prealgebra book is more in line with that.

I've heard either book will prepare you for Algebra I. Lial's is a great series.

If you're of the mindset that a good pre-algebra course should be just one more good trip through arithmetic, then BCM is exactly what you're looking for.

If you're of the mindset that pre-algebra should also include an introduction to early algebra concepts - integers, variables, solving for equations, plotting a simple linear equation - then their Prealgebra book is more in line with that.

I've heard either book will prepare you for Algebra I. Lial's is a great series.

Thanks!

It also seems to have some early algebra concepts in the last chapter. Although not to the extent of the prealgebra book obviously.

Since these books are dirt cheap used, I'll probably make room for prealgebra on my shelf also. I guess it would not be necessary to use all of it in order to use some.

It just occurred to me that if I use the BCM, I can then have my student take the chapter tests in prealgebra until she hits a wall. This would be for my dd to use when she's about 12/7th grade. (ETA: Looking a the TOC you typed out in the other thread, she would have to do some portions of each chapter.)

Edited by darlasowders

It also seems to have some early algebra concepts in the last chapter. Although not to the extent of the prealgebra book obviously.

Yes, it does. The Prealgebra has these sprinkled throughout the book, which gives a lot more time to practice them. Of course, if a kid needed more time on arithmetic review first, that might not necessarily be a good thing - I think either book can be an excellent choice depending on what a specific student's needs are.

It just occurred to me that if I use the BCM, I can then have my student take the chapter tests in prealgebra until she hits a wall. (This would be for my dd to use when she's about 12/7th grade.)

The chapters are ordered very differently - so, geometry is mixed into various chapters rather than all in one chapter, the fractions, decimal and percent chapters would be mostly similar except that the Prealgebra book would include negative numbers in most of the problems.

A few of my older kids who didn't like Saxon 1/2 used it over a 1.5 year period and they did just fine in algebra. If the spiral approach isn't working, I'd recommend BCM.

She's doing really well with Math Mammoth, which is why I started looking at Lial's in the first place.

I will be avoiding spiral programs with this particular kiddo. I'm wondering about switching her older brother now. :tongue_smilie:

Yes, it does. The Prealgebra has these sprinkled throughout the book, which gives a lot more time to practice them. Of course, if a kid needed more time on arithmetic review first, that might not necessarily be a good thing - I think either book can be an excellent choice depending on what a specific student's needs are.

The chapters are ordered very differently - so, geometry is mixed into various chapters rather than all in one chapter, the fractions, decimal and percent chapters would be mostly similar except that the Prealgebra book would include negative numbers in most of the problems.

Yes, I noticed after I posted that she'd have to do sections of each chapter. I probably could even devise a sort of accelerated schedule for her combining lessons where the topic was familiar etc.

It remains to be seen how early she might start Algebra 1. She's not yet 11. (Planning ahead! :D)

Yes, I noticed after I posted that she'd have to do sections of each chapter. I probably could even devise a sort of accelerated schedule for her combining lessons where the topic was familiar etc.

It remains to be seen how early she might start Algebra 1. She's not yet 11. (Planning ahead! :D)

If a child were young and you're not in a race to get to Algebra, I'd actually see no problem in going through BCM one year, then Prealgebra the next, then Algebra.

The Prealgebra book does cover a lot of the same ground as BCM, but it extends all of that by giving extensive practice with negative numbers. If you don't think it's a bad idea to review all of arithmetic with BCM, and you your kid is young, it might not be a bad idea to give another incremental year where integers are used extensively (as well as a lot more work with variables and equations).

My dd had a hard time with Singapore 6, but then BCM was too easy for her this year (she did great with Prealgebra when we moved her up) - I sometimes think it might've been good to have moved her over to BCM in 6th and then to Prealgebra this year. Her confidence in math has soared.

We'll be using this along with SM next year with my older. I plan to retype out the sections we'll be using, as the small font and dense text is more suitable for an older child (I think). The Key Terms section in each chapter is also very useful for math vocabulary.