Menu

Can we talk laser printers?!

simka2

We have a Brother brand laser printer/scanner/copier and I totally love it. The copy function is amazingly useful--I wouldn't homeschool without it!

We got a reconditioned one that was cheaper than new--we've had it almost two years and it's never given us any trouble.

My husband did a lot of research on this and found a Canon laser printer/copier/scanner/fax with paper tray so it's easy to print lots of large docs and you can purchase toner through companies that refill. With the refilled toners (which supposedly don't last as long as brand new but because they're so much cheaper still save you money) I think we calculated it costs about 2.5 cents per page. The printer was on Amazon for about $169 and since we had prime shipping was free and was here in 2 days!

:bigear:

We were supposed to start school this week and my printer is having none of it. It has a paper/carriage jam every few pages printed...and sometimes prints a different page than I've requested. At least it is making the kids look cooperative.

Another brother lover here :lol:

If dh purchases item like that he always buys items like Canon & HP, and they all break.

Brother's items are very well priced, reliable, and very sturdy. We had both a copier and printer at work that were yellowed with age, every other printer , fax etc was new & shiny....yep, the yellowed ones were Brother branded :) they last forever, and work well.

We have a refurbished al in one brother and love it. We are still using our original partially filled toner cartridge. The best advice I will give you about the laser printer is to read about how to trick your printer to think the toner cartridge is always full. Our cartridge was telling it was completely empty until I read online about taping the hole the sensor reads. Our supossedly empty cartridge printed a complete wwe workbook, all of Rso life, and about another 200 pages without a problem.

My husband did a lot of research on this and found a Canon laser printer/copier/scanner/fax with paper tray so it's easy to print lots of large docs and you can purchase toner through companies that refill. With the refilled toners (which supposedly don't last as long as brand new but because they're so much cheaper still save you money) I think we calculated it costs about 2.5 cents per page. The printer was on Amazon for about $169 and since we had prime shipping was free and was here in 2 days!

Do you have the model number? There are so many out there.

I'll be oddball and say I love my HP color laser. DH and I have always had HP printers and never had a problem with any of them. The color laser I currently have is the 2nd one. The first one is 6 years old and still chugging along never a problem, but I wanted one that could do duplex printing. The printers themselves were about $250 and the toner is about $100 per color, but each cartridge gives me about 3500 pages. It comes out to about 3cents a page, but that's also because I'm a paper snob and won't use less than 28lb with 98 brightness, so I pay $15 a ream for paper.

My current one is a model CP2025 and our older one is a 2600n, but I really don't think you can go wrong with any HP laser jet. Since I've had them I buy any curricula I can as a PDF and just print it myself.

OOPs forgot to say that I change out my black toner about once a year and the colors once every 18-24 months.

We have a Brother laser printer and love, love it!!! The first standard toner that came with it lasted 1 1/2 years. I then bought a refurbished high yield toner guaranteed by Amazon called Amazon Basics for about $25.00 (the price has since gone up) and it is suppose to last me twice as long.

I also use my printer for couponing purposes and I can't say enough good things about it. My sister and few of my friends all have a Brother laser printers and they all love it as well. You can certainly check the prices and reviews on Amazon. From time to time, you can find deal on a Brother laser printer on sale at Staples/Office Depot/Office Max for about $50 shipped. You just have to wait for it :0)

Julia

Julia

Hi Again,

I have the Brother DCP 7040 and I refill my own toner. I get three bottles of toner on ebay for $25.00 which gives me approx 4500 pages. If you buy a refilled toner cartridge for this model.. it is approx $30 a pop(on the internet) which is still better than buying a new cartridge from the store.(somewhere around $60 each at Office Depot!) I am cheap :D I refill my own which is very easy to do and have no problems resetting the cartridge.

(There is no hassel like I had with my color injet printer where I refill the cartridge and and can't print because of a computer chip implanted on the cartridge) I now just refill and print. I love my laser printer.

This printer has been used on a windows xp, windows 7 and now a linux machine with no problems. Don't know what OS you use but it works well on all.

HTH,

Penny

Originally Posted by nmbdoug

Do you have the model number? There are so many out there.

Canon ImageCLASS MF4350d Laser All-in-One Printer

Actually only costs $149.99 at the time

I was going to buy an ink jet (HP 110A for $72) since I am not printing a whole lot. But it seems like the laser printers mentioned here are all reasonably priced and get good mileage from the ink. I think that is worth looking into. Thanks ladies for the good tips.

We have a brother. I posted about their customer service but will say it again. Brother is awesome. We had neighbors who were moving and had a printer that wouldn't print black so they gave it to us. I went through all the troubleshooting online. Finally it said to call customer service. I explained the situation to CS (free given to us printer, want print, etc.). They sent me a brand new printer that is actually a newer model of the one I was given. I didn't pay anything for it. I love it! My only complaint is the paper tray doesn't hold as much paper as I would like.

I was going to buy an ink jet (HP 110A for $72) since I am not printing a whole lot. But it seems like the laser printers mentioned here are all reasonably priced and get good mileage from the ink. I think that is worth looking into. Thanks ladies for the good tips.

Laser seem to me to be cheaper in the long run as the ink is cheaper. Cost more but last sooooo much longer. I pay about $80 for almost a year of printing and I was paying $30+ every 6 weeks with my inkjet

I have a HP 1018 that is 2+ years old (I think) and has never given me any problems. It's not color, but I really don't have use for a color printer. I bought it from HP and they usually have free shipping.