Menu

Where are those historical fiction/historical romance threads??

I suck at searching on this board for some reason. Maybe I need search lessons. Anyway, I am looking for historical fiction and historical romance suggestions, I know there have been a ton of threads about those types of books. Can someone link me?? Thanks!!

Can't mention these two names enough: Monica McCarty and Pamela Clare. Their stuff is very steamy, but very, very good.

Monica's characters are well researched and plucked from the pages of history. As a result of her books, I am completely in love with Rory "Mor" MacLeod....real Highland chief of the MacLeod's in 16th century Scotland. Even though my husband insists that Rory did NOT smell like "the sea and spice" as the heroine says he did. :lol: It's an ongoing joke between us.

Anyway, check them both out. Great reads for a day on the beach or by the pool.

Francine Rivers has some AWESOME books, if you don't mind Christian books. Hers are some of the best books I've ever read, secular or nonsecular.

Redeeming Love is my absolute favorite! It's based on the book of Hosea, but it's set in the Old West. I read it for the first time while I was in Mexico at an all-inclusive with a friend of mine, and I was bawling at the pool. She kept looking at me weird, but understood after she read the book herself.

The Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon is wonderful if you haven't read it. I'm book 6, and I love the characters still.

:iagree: I LOVE this series. However, the first book has a scene that is so graphic, I really wish I hadn't read it. It was a pivotal scene, but skimming it probably would have been better.

Can't mention these two names enough: Monica McCarty and Pamela Clare. Their stuff is very steamy, but very, very good.

Monica's characters are well researched and plucked from the pages of history. As a result of her books, I am completely in love with Rory "Mor" MacLeod....real Highland chief of the MacLeod's in 16th century Scotland. Even though my husband insists that Rory did NOT smell like "the sea and spice" as the heroine says he did. :lol: It's an ongoing joke between us.

Anyway, check them both out. Great reads for a day on the beach or by the pool.

Thank you! I'm putting those on my list!!

Francine Rivers has some AWESOME books, if you don't mind Christian books. Hers are some of the best books I've ever read, secular or nonsecular.

Redeeming Love is my absolute favorite! It's based on the book of Hosea, but it's set in the Old West. I read it for the first time while I was in Mexico at an all-inclusive with a friend of mine, and I was bawling at the pool. She kept looking at me weird, but understood after she read the book herself.

I don't mind Christian books as a rule, since I am a Christian. ;) But I do find some of them quite boring. Redeeming Love is one of my all time favorite books, however. I read it every year!!

The Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon is wonderful if you haven't read it. I'm book 6, and I love the characters still.

The Outlander series is, by far, my favorite series of books in the world. I cannot say how much I love those books. I own them all and reread them every year. :) It's usually my fall reading.

:iagree: I LOVE this series. However, the first book has a scene that is so graphic, I really wish I hadn't read it. It was a pivotal scene, but skimming it probably would have been better.

Yes, it is graphic. Heart wrenching. :(

I am a big fan of Phillipa Gregory's books. My favorite, by far, is The Other Boelyn Girl. It's a fantastic read, has the right amount of intrigue and romance, and puts an interesting spin on the course of events of Henry VIII and his decision to execute Anne Boelyn. Love it and I read it almost every time I hit the beach. :tongue_smilie:

I am a big fan of Phillipa Gregory's books. My favorite, by far, is The Other Boelyn Girl. It's a fantastic read, has the right amount of intrigue and romance, and puts an interesting spin on the course of events of Henry VIII and his decision to execute Anne Boelyn. Love it and I read it almost every time I hit the beach. :tongue_smilie:

I like her books, too. I have them all - come on over and plunder my library, girl!

Some of my favorite romances of all time-

The Passions of Emma by Penelope Williamson. I think I have 4 copies. Makes me bawl my eyes out every time. Lyrical, bittersweet, and every time I read it I am amazed at her talent and pulling off such a hard story.

The Outsider is another by her that is on my top 10. Think The Witness, but historical.

The others, Keeper of the Dream, Once in a Blue Moon are classics, too.

I have multiple copies of all of her books-like 3 of each at the least. That's how good they are.

Another great one is Cry No More by Linda Howard. You will cry. Bawl. There's one scene in there that gets ya every time.

Private Arrangements by Sherry Thomas is fantastic as is Not Quite a Husband

Jenny Crusie's Welcome to Temptation is, IMO, the book all new romances are measured by. In my top 10. Huge cast of characters, fantastic subplots, witty, fun, irreverent and hysterical.

Bet Me, also by Crusie is a reframed Cinderella Story. A plump heroine who wears killer shoes, is an actuary and has a mother you'll love to hate. Cal, the hero is a Prince Charming that has the family from hell, friends you'll love and the way he 'sees' Min is how every woman with a few extra pounds should be seen.

Faking It is the sequel to Welcome to Temp-. I think I almost loved it as much as. There heroine is an art forger who also is the supporter of a gaggle of strange family. The hero is a con man. The cast is huge, it's funny and terribly romantic.

Agnes and the Hitman is another Crusie that hits all her high marks-funny, huge cast, crazy situations and heroines who are smart and real. And dogs. :001_smile: there's some flamingos in this one, too.

I don't know what took me so long to read Seize the Fire by Laura Kinsale, but I could kick myself for having waited. The hero has PSTD and it's a gut wrenching read. Almost an anti hero (almost? Lol), but she totally redeems him. Amazing storytelling.

Flowers From the Storm is another Kinsale favorite. Maddy, the heroine is a Quaker and the hero, a Lord and mathmatician has had a stroke. The way Kinsale writes his recovery is amazing. And how Maddy's faith is tested and her own journey is so very real-how sometimes the decisions we are forced to make widen our scope of our faith though they test its formal boundries. This is my favorite by her. Just brilliant storytelling.

All of Kinsale's books are incredible but those are my favorites of hers.

Ann Stuart's Black Ice is fantastic, as is the series. You'll want them all in a nice pile next to you. She's brilliant at writing antiheros. Some of her older books, are fantastic, too. Ritual Sins is great, and it looks like it's out of print. The library might have it but if you want I'll loan you my copy. :001_smile:

Ok, rounding this up.

Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen. Very Practical Magic (and since Alice Hoffman is one of my very favorite authors ever-that's high praise). The Sugar Queen, her next book is also great. Ignore that cover-it's horrible.

BTW, if you like Magic Realisim, anything Alice Hoffman is fantastic. Illumination Night, Turtle Moon, Seventh Heaven, Blackbird House is awesome.

Chocolat is another magic realisim favorite.

want more? Tell me a subgenre you like and I'll make you a list.

If I like an author, I tend to read all their books, so I'm going to list by author.

Amanda Quick-mostly Regency, but a few of her newer books are Victorian.

Her earlier books with single names like Mistress, Desire, Surrender, Reckless, etc. are all stand alone novels and all excellent. She has a couple of series too that need to be read in order. The Lavinia Lake/Tobias March series (starts with Slightly Shady) are really good. She has a series (that she's currently working on) called the Arcane Society, but sadly, I'm not a fan of them. I don't know why, because they're well written, but I couldn't read any after the 2nd in the series.

Julia Quinn-I loves me some Julia Quinn! The Bridgerton Series is fun and fab. I think there are 10 or 11 books in the series. They don't HAVE to be read in order as each book chronicles different siblings, but they make more sense if you do. Her stand alone novels are some of my all time favorite reads, including: Minx, Dancing at Midnight, Brighter Than the Sun, and, well, okay, all of them. She's just a good read.

Lisa Kleypas-Her Bow Street series is awesome. Someone to Watch Over Me is one of my favorite books.

Elizabeth Hoyt-I've only read her Legend of the Four Soldiers series, but they were all imaginative and well written. They do need to be read in order.

Christina Dodd-I don't like all of her books, but she is a really good writer. She has books from the Regency to Modern.

Julie Garwood-I can't think of a bad book she's written. I think she was the first romance author I ever read.

Judith McNaught-If you only read one of her books, read Something Wonderful. It is well, wonderful. :D

Jude Deveraux-Just a brilliant writer. She has many, many traditional romances and a few "time travel." I normally am NOT a fan of time travel books, but she does them really well. A Knight in Shining Armor and Remembrance are simply brilliant in their story and execution.

Sabrina Jeffries-She mostly writes series books, but I haven't met one I didn't like. ;)

If you are looking for something a bit meatier and less romantic, there are some really good "mystery with a dash of romance tossed in" that I like:

C.S.Harris-Hands down the best series ever. The books are written from the male POV. Sebastian St. Cyr lives in Regency London and by accident starts investigating murders. Each book is a stand alone story, but the series has an overall story arc, so they need to be read in order. There are currently 5, with a 6th coming out next year (OMG, how am I going to wait that long????) I LOVE THESE BOOKS. Oh, sorry, didn't mean to yell.

Tasha Alexander-The Lady Emily series is really good! They need to be read in order.

Deanna Raybourn-She as one stand alone novel (The Dead Travel Fast), but I think it's going to be a series. Her other books are the Lady Julia Grey novels. There are currently 4, with a 5th coming out later this month (squeeee). They need to be read in order. The first line of the first book in the series has the best opening line to a novel:

I'd say that I met Nicholas Brisbane over my husband's dead body is not entirely accurate. Edward, it should be noted, was still twitching upon the floor.

How could you NOT want to read a book that starts off like that????

I could go on, but I've practically written a novel here so I'll stop. Happy Reading!!!!!