Menu

What non-major intro college texts have you used for high school math/science?

This is a new thread related to the one I asked this morning about high-school math/science sequence which can be seen here:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=280641

Several agreed that older college intro texts for non-majors have been the best for teaching higher level science. Some texts written for high school are poor choices in comparison.

If you have used texts like this successfully would you please submit the titles of the texts you have used and enjoyed? I am interested in both math and science.

Beginning in 8th grade I will use Lial's Intro to Algebra I and CPO's Foundation to Physical Science. The texts have already been chosen and purchased. After that, I like the physics, chemistry, biology sequence. (9th grade biology could precede this or not... still unsure.)

As an example, what texts would you assign to these classes (I listed what I plan to use for 8th grade math and science):

8th: Lial's Intro to Alg. I and CPO Foundations of Physical Science

9th: Geometry and biology

10th: Alg. II/Trig and physics (algebra based physics at this point)

11th: Pre Cal and Chemistry

12th: Cal and advanced science

OR...

9th: Lial's Intro to Alg. I and CPO Foundations of Physical Science

9th: Geometry and physics (algebra based physics at this point)

10th: Alg. II/Trig and chemistry

11th: Pre cal and advanced biology

12th: Cal and and advanced science

Also, if you are a non-sciency/math mom, please explain how you have been able to "teach" these upper level math and science classes. I am planning this kind of math/science sequence for a student who will probably choose a college major in science.

For Physics:

algebra based: I have used

College Physics by Knight, Jones, Fields (2nd edition is current, 1st edition is much cheaper and almost identical. ) Get the student workbook with it (possibly 2nd edition, there have been good changes)

I have heard good things about Giancoli; I only know his calc based one

calculus based:

Halliday/Resnick is good, as is Giancoli (Physics for scientists&engineers)

For chemistry:

will use Chang General Chemistry, heard good thighs about Tro

For bio:

we have used Campbell/Reece Concepts and Connections

will use Campbell/Reece Biology for Advanced bio

For Physics:

College Physics by Knight, Jones, Fields (2nd edition is current, 1st edition is much cheaper and almost identical. ) Get the student workbook with it (possibly 2nd edition, there have been good changes)

calculus based:

For chemistry:

For bio:

Thanks so much, Regentrude!:001_smile:

Not one of the sciences you asked about, but my ds loved The Cosmos for astronomy. He is using The Cosmic Perspective for a 2nd yr course next yr. (We found these titles by looking at several different universities' course catalogs and class descriptions.)

Lials math and the several of the texts used by Chalkdust are college intro texts.

FWIW, one resource you might want to look into is Cengage. http://www.cengage.com/us/ Cengage is a company that provides a lot of online testing/prep type stuff for schools and universities. A lot of textbook titles have supplemental activities and testing available through them. I think it was something like $35 for the yr for ds to access online materials for the astronomy course. (You don't get complete access to what teachers at schools get, but it was still worth it to me.)

I second "Cosmos" for astronomy. We also have used Lial's successfully and unless one of my children absolutely hated Lial's, I am not likely to change. I have used it tutoring some other high schoolers as well and they've always responded. But, I do realize there are other equally as wonderful courses such as Forester's (sp?).

I'll have to dig out the chemistry text. When dd was studying for the AP chem exam, dh dug out his old college chem book for her. Now keep in mind that he took his two semesters of chem in 1983! I don't know if it would help to post the title as I have no idea if there are any updated versions.

I've also taught music theory from "Music in Theory and Practice" by Bruce Benward - this was for my college music major/minor bound piano and voice students. Norton also puts out a fine music theory book and I still use "Anthology of Western Music" by Norton when I tutor college students in music history...though since we moved away from the city, I haven't had any tutoring opportunities except giving some online help. I have found that for high school students, the music theory and music history information is far better than anything the local high schools use in band and choir.

Now, I will say that Spielvogel's Western Civilization was a BOMB for us! DD and I find him so dry and boring that we just about went catatonic. We tried his "Human Odyssey" (more of a high school level book) and didn't fair much better. But, it could just be us. Many high school homeschooling moms who use college texts swear by Spielvogel so I may have a skewed perspective.

DD's books are packed away right now because there is a six year gap between her and our next oldest. We'll be unpacking those boxes shortly (already have Lial's out since ds is half-way through algebra 1) and I'll try to remember to post more titles.

Faith

For Physics:

calculus based:

For chemistry:

For bio:

Are these for "majors" or "non-majors?"

The ones on this list that I'm familiar with (Halliday/Resnick and Campbell) I had thought were for students majoring in those (or similar) subjects. Did I miss something?

The ones on this list that I'm familiar with (Halliday/Resnick and Campbell) I had thought were for students majoring in those (or similar) subjects. Did I miss something?

I can answer your question for the Campbell books. Concepts and Connections is used in intro courses for non-majors--the book is sometimes called baby Campbell. The "Biology" text is the one for majors. My son used it for AP Bio.

Knight,Jones,Fields is physics for biology students. The calculus based physics texts are for majors, probably because nobody else needs calc based physics. I have not found a calc based text that was not geared towards scientists and engineers - all others won't NEED it.

Concepts and connections is the "baby Campbell" for non-majors. Biology is for majors, I believe.

for physics

Giancoli's Physics, 6th edition

This is for AP Physics B and is algebra-based. You need a teacher who knows the subject. If you don't know it, then you'll need to find a tutor or a class.

for chemistry

Tro's Introductory Chemistry, 3rd edition

This is for high school honors chemistry or college non-science majors. This is laid out very well and the solution manual looks very good. I'll be using it this year. Don't bother with the 2nd edition because all the support material is out of print and extremely difficult to find.

for math

Lial's for Precalculus and higher

I prefer Kinetic Books up through Algebra II, but that's as high as they go right now.

Anyone else???

What have you used for math and science intro to college texts for high school?

I know it isn't an intro to college text, but how does Miller-Levine biology compare to an intro to college biology text? If we did biology in 9th, I'm a little concerned Concepts and Connections would be too much.

There is also Exploring the Way Life Works, Oak Meadow, and Singapore that I've read about this morning. Many use Labpaq labs, but those are very time intensive. Although these labs look absolutely wonderful, I'm not sure this combination is realistic because of the time it would take. Thoughts?

I could use ML with the Kolbe syllabus. I am just hoping ML isn't one of those high school texts that "everyone" uses just because they "think" it's good.....

Science Shepherd is another bio text I have in mind. Like Apologia, it is written to the student and comes with labs and a DVD. But SS also covers anatomy. Apologia does not. I know several of us on this board are interested in this. Can anyone give a review or make comments? How would this text compare to an intro college bio text?

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2801596&postcount=9

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2801955&postcount=19

Edited by Sweet Home Alabama
ETA: Science Shepherd

I've never seen a college geometry book. Alg 2/Trig/Precalc in college would likely all be covered by a college Pre-calc book. I've used Sullivan and Sullivan, and Larson and Hostetler. To me they seemed pretty indistinguishable.

Majors? Nonmajors? I don't think this is an issue with most math books. Unless it's labelled as math for humanities or something like that.

There ARE college geometry books, but rarely -- usually the course is at a community college and reserved for students who didn't take geometry at all in high school.

Mathematics is rather odd that way, though -- the non-majors courses tend to be courses such as finite mathematics, business/applied calculus, mathematics for liberal arts/quantitative literacy, and occasionally applied college algebra. Statistics is sometimes included here, and sometimes in its own department. Discrete mathematics can be either.

Usually these courses are outside the scope of a high-school curriculum. I would hypothesize that this is because by the time most students get through algebra 2, the ones who might choose non-majors courses only have one year left and often take statistics, precalculus, or skip math. A lot of people also feel driven to get through calculus, because it looks better on a transcript than one of the above listed courses. Because there's little demand for such courses, homeschool courses haven't been developed that teach them, so any parent looking to use one of these courses would need to do the development.

Jacobs Mathematics: A Human Endeavor is a college non-majors book that some enjoy.

For more discussions of potential Bio textbooks.

HTH,

Brenda

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94278&highlight=SAT2

Brenda, this was helpful, and I had not read it before.

Kiana and Emubird, I appreciate the comments about math texts. Maybe my question is more relevant to science texts.

Can anyone comment about the Miller Levine Biology? Is it a good text? Reference post #12 above.