Menu

Is there anything medically to watch out for with ASD/Aspergers?

My youngest (7) has never told me when he's sick or obviously injured. He also has severe food allergies and can't(?) tell me when he's having a reaction. If I know he's reacting he will insist he's not. When he's not feeling well and I take him to the doctors, he usually has a double ear infection, then I need to bring him back (and pay another copay), just to make sure it's cleared up. He also tends not to keep hydrated on his own. Is there a medical side to this diagnosis? We already eat egg, nut, fish, wheat, milk, and soy free.

I have a brother with ASD/Aspergers. He is 39 years old now. Despite having an above average IQ he is not one to manage his health care by himself for some reason. We actually have to manage appointments, remind him to go, ask if he has been taking meds (he is now diabetic), and so on. He once had a serious leg infection and while he would say that it did look bad, he just never 'got around to scheduling an appointment'. I don't know if it has to do with his sensory system being wired together differently or what, but he is much like your son. it is scary and frustrating.

My youngest (7) has never told me when he's sick or obviously injured. He also has severe food allergies and can't(?) tell me when he's having a reaction. If I know he's reacting he will insist he's not. When he's not feeling well and I take him to the doctors, he usually has a double ear infection, then I need to bring him back (and pay another copay), just to make sure it's cleared up. He also tends not to keep hydrated on his own. Is there a medical side to this diagnosis? We already eat egg, nut, fish, wheat, milk, and soy free.

Somewhere I read that people on the autism spectrum may need lower than the usually recommended dose for some medicines. They are usually more sensitive to a variety things, and that can include medication.

That information stuck in my memory because of something that happened with my BIL a long time ago. Before my BIL was diagnosed with Asperger's/HFA, he was diagnosed with ADD. He "flipped-out" shortly after he started ADD medications. It was a violent, destructive episode.

I don't know all the details of my BIL's life, and I don't have a child with autism--so take my advice with a grain of salt. It's something that you might want to ask the doctor about whenever your child starts any new medication, and you might want to keep a closer eye out for side effects.

Probably the biggest thing to watch out for is exactly what you are having trouble with. In general, an Aspie is not likely to tell you when anything is wrong, be that physical or emotional health. I remember that when I went in for a variety of physical symptoms: weight loss, not eating, a constant sensation of the sun being too close, and extreme reactions to the smell of people it was a surprise to find out that what I had was depression. I simply was not aware that the feelings that I couldn't name had a name. I really got some very strange looks when I tried to describe the sensations I was having instead of feelings.

There are things that I tend to avoid because they are difficult for me to handle. I don't dread the dentist, but I do not like to be in the waiting room where other people might sit next to me. Same thing at the doctors office. So I might put off an appointment simply to avoid any possibility of that happening. That is why teaching coping mechanisms is so important. What might seem a minor irritation can seem overwhelming sometimes.

Hydration can be a problem for me as well as eating properly. I am likely to be so focused on my work that I might go all day before eating anything. Because I am sensitive to the taste of water I drink more tea that water unless I make sure that I take my own filtered or bottled water everywhere with me. Thankfully, that isn't considered strange anymore.:001_smile:

Probably the biggest thing is recognizing that symptoms are simply not going to be described as feeling bad or even as physical sensations. Moreover, they may be quite subjective and either less or more intense depending on the individual.

Somewhere I read that people on the autism spectrum may need lower than the usually recommended dose for some medicines. They are usually more sensitive to a variety things, and that can include medication.

Second this. Also, different medications might be needed. For instance, the usual first line medications for depression actually made me much worse. I had done some study on it, and once I realized what the first drug was intended to do I realized the error, and was able to recommend a medication to my psychiatrist that I felt would better address the neurotransmitter that was probably lacking in my case. That did the trick.

Edited by Critterfixer

I would believe that as well. When we put DS back on ADHD medication, the ped figured that he'd need 50 or maybe even 60 mg of Vyvanse per day but that we'd start lower and just see how it worked. He does extremely well on 40 mg.

He doesn't tell me about pain, either. A couple of weeks ago he started talking about seeing different colors ("Mom, why is the grass blue?" when it was just regular green grass... not bluegrass) and said something about how letters sometimes have colors. Apparently he has been getting migraine auras and hasn't even mentioned the pain. :001_huh:

and said something about how letters sometimes have colors.

This could also be synesthesia, which is common in people with Asperger's.. Especially those who are creatively gifted.. My 13yr old daughter has synesthesia and is creatively gifted.

And to address the migraines.. My 10yr old daughter was having migraines at that age.. They were daily and tortorous. She was seeing a neurologist, who was no help. She ended up in the ER once having an MRI.. Then we had her tested for gluten sensitivity.. Turns out she has celiac disease. Once we removed gluten, the migraines went away and she hasn't had a single one since (in 1 1/2 years).

Edited by Misty

I know my Aspie has many sensory issues that affect everything in his life. He's over sensitive to some kinds of pain and is able to completely ignore other kinds. I've finally figured out that he forgets to eat. He's prone to blood sugar crashes, so that's a problem.

While I know many families have found improvements with removing gluten and casein from the diet of their kids on the spectrum (and many have seen no change), sugar is my son's problem. He's addicted to it. Large quantities of sugar make his migraines worse, make him dizzy, ramp up his insomnia, and make him really moody. Sugar does not make him hyper at all; he's more likely to need a nap after a major dose.

I think one of the biggest challenges of raising a kid on the spectrum is figuring out all the various idiosyncrasies of our particular child. At least we're the best suited to the job, and teaching our kids how to cope is a big part of raising them to be on their own.

sugar is my son's problem. He's addicted to it. Large quantities of sugar make his migraines worse, make him dizzy, ramp up his insomnia, and make him really moody. Sugar does not make him hyper at all; he's more likely to need a nap after a major dose.

Finn,

Many have reported that their kids on the spectrum have the same issue.. Sugar addiction. Many of them have had success with treating yeast (candida).. They found that the child was addicted to the sugar because the yeast thrives on the sugar. We have not had this issue here at our house, but it might be worth looking into.

Finn,

Many have reported that their kids on the spectrum have the same issue.. Sugar addiction. Many of them have had success with treating yeast (candida).. They found that the child was addicted to the sugar because the yeast thrives on the sugar.

Thanks for the information. Despite having read lots, I hadn't seen anything about the sugar addiction. We did see his psychologist today and I mentioned it, the doctor wasn't surprised at all. Yeast in a 12 yo boy hadn't even occurred to me, so thanks again.

Seizures, especially around the onset of puberty. At my son's first neuro appointment the doctor said she wasn't surprised at all to see my pubescent son with ASD presenting with seizures. :(

:iagree: Seizures can be triggered by a fever too, but remain for life. Whenever my son has a fever I'm hyper-vigilant with trying to keep it down. So far, no seizures.

Our biggest problem when he was younger was his ability to either ignore or not notice he was hurt or ill. He still doesn't let me know if he is sick but will now usually notice he is bleeding. He also dislikes the dentist and doc because he can't respond to their small talk and then they think he is rude and so it circles.

It's a relief to read that my DS who we suspect is an Aspie is not the only one to not tell me about symptoms of illness. Or I should say he doesn't correctly tell us. He will often say he "feels weird" or doesn't feel good. When we question him, he will end up saying it's his "whole body". We never get an accurate report of physical problems from him, so, we never know when he's sick.

He was saying that he had vertigo when I cleaned his ears one night, and then the next afternoon he had a fever of 104! He didn't even feel that warm to me, I just took his temperature because he said his stomach hurt. I took him into the Dr, thinking ear infection. Nope. He had some weird throat infection I had never heard of.

That's the other thing with him. My Aspie son doesn't get "regular" sick. He gets "weird" sick. As a preschooler, he didn't get strep *throat*. He got strep in little pestules all over his body. I took him to the Dr because I didn't know what they were. It stumped her, too, until we talked in passing about how my DD had just gotten over strep throat. I saw the lightbulb over her head. She popped one :ack2: and took a culture. Yup! It was strep!

Speaking of the evils of yeast, does anyone know where I can find probiotics appropriate for my large 7.5 year old ds? When he had his weird throat infection, he was put on strong antibiotics. Then one of his least desirable behaviors unexpectedly grew dramatically worse :( I feel certain it was the evil yeasties unchecked.

He has finally checked that behavior, for now, but I still would feel better if I put him on a course of probiotics.

He also dislikes the dentist and doc because he can't respond to their small talk and then they think he is rude and so it circles.

This is my 10yr old.. I always write on the form "Child has Asperger's Syndrome" but for some reason the dr. doesn't read the form.. Then they come in and try to make small talk, and when she doesn't respond, they say "Oh, you must be shy" or something like that.. And then of course, they find out she's homeschooled and assume that she doesn't know how to talk because she is homeschooled.. :glare:

Sorry, still fuming over a recent orthodontist consult..

I know my Aspie has many sensory issues that affect everything in his life. He's over sensitive to some kinds of pain and is able to completely ignore other kinds. I've finally figured out that he forgets to eat. He's prone to blood sugar crashes, so that's a problem.

While I know many families have found improvements with removing gluten and casein from the diet of their kids on the spectrum (and many have seen no change), sugar is my son's problem. He's addicted to it. Large quantities of sugar make his migraines worse, make him dizzy, ramp up his insomnia, and make him really moody. Sugar does not make him hyper at all; he's more likely to need a nap after a major dose.

I think one of the biggest challenges of raising a kid on the spectrum is figuring out all the various idiosyncrasies of our particular child. At least we're the best suited to the job, and teaching our kids how to cope is a big part of raising them to be on their own.

Finn,

Many have reported that their kids on the spectrum have the same issue.. Sugar addiction. Many of them have had success with treating yeast (candida).. They found that the child was addicted to the sugar because the yeast thrives on the sugar. We have not had this issue here at our house, but it might be worth looking into.

THank you for sharing that! We have said for years that my brother is sugar addicted. Too much sugar though and he would become depressed and morose, or very angry because his body systems were off kilter. We always dreaded those time when we couldn't help monitor his eating and he would gorge on cokes and desserts. It is somewhat better now that he is diabetic and has to watch his diet closely.

This is my 10yr old.. I always write on the form "Child has Asperger's Syndrome" but for some reason the dr. doesn't read the form.. Then they come in and try to make small talk, and when she doesn't respond, they say "Oh, you must be shy" or something like that.. And then of course, they find out she's homeschooled and assume that she doesn't know how to talk because she is homeschooled.. :glare:

I thought that just happened to us!!!

He has finally checked that behavior, for now, but I still would feel better if I put him on a course of probiotics.

I think Nature's Way has a formula for kids; I use Solaray for myself. I've had success with both brands. I'm prone to candida problems, so I take probiotics every day. I'd know if I was taking a brand that didn't actually have what was promised inside the capsule.

I'm not sure what a good dose would be. I had to wing it a few years ago when my Aspie was trying to get over some weird stomach thing. I don't know if you can overdose on probiotics. That's more of a question for a doctor, if you're lucky enough to have one that recognizes the value of probiotics.

He also dislikes the dentist and doc because he can't respond to their small talk and then they think he is rude and so it circles.

My DS is going to be in braces soon. I cannot describe how much I dread that experience. And his dentist could retire at any point.