Menu

GF(gluten free) question....soy

Hello,

We avoid soy here at our house. 3 of us are on low carb diets (me on Atkins-Maintenance, hubby on Protien Power Ongoing Weight loss, and son is on Atkins lite due to insulin problems). The other two kids are not low carbers but just found out oldest son is allergice to gluten and wheat. (hubby is also allergic to wheat) We are not really bakers in our house. In our quest of low carb recipes I found wonderful blogs that uses coconut flours in baking.

Now the question I have is how do you buy GF mixes when most have carb in them in form of rice, potato and/or soy flour?? I really can't fix different foods for each of us. We are already grain free except my daughter. I just buy one loaf of bread that last two weeks. I also buy Low Carb tortillas for now till I have time to make the grain free tortilla recipe I found online. This boy of mine loves pancakes/waffles but in a lot of the mixes I found to be GF has either potato or soy flour. Potato is fine but only my son and daughter will be able to eat it as the carb count will be too high for my other son, hubby and myself.

I am new at this....Wheat free and gluten free...:confused:

Anybody want to give me the basics esp when we avoid soy stuff as well?

Thanks!!

Holly

Well, I can't really answer your question about baking mixes. I don't know that GF/low-carb ones exist, although I'd certainly appreciate it if they did!

I do know that my mother (who is celiac and diabetic) has loved Healthy Indulgences, just in case you haven't found that site yet. And if you have, you may not have noticed that she has a pancake recipe! It looks like you could mix the dry ingredients up in a batch ahead of time, too. (It is still about 12 grams of carbs per 2-pancake serving, though, so it should probably only be an occasional treat if you have to be as strict about it as my mother does.)

Edited by morosophe

Well, I can't really answer your question about baking mixes. I don't know that GF/low-carb ones exist, although I'd certainly appreciate it if they did!

I do know that my mother (who is celiac and diabetic) has loved Healthy Indulgences, just in case you haven't found that site yet. And if you have, you may not have noticed that she has a pancake recipe! .)

Yep that is the blog I was talking about!!! I really love that blog. I have been trying to go through everything and printing her recipes out as fast as I can. We just do not know how long she will have this blog....;) Thanks for the link to the pancake recipe.... I will have to try that one.

Holly

To be honest, it's more that my mother has loved the Healthy Indulgences recipes that I've made for her. She doesn't usually use that site herself! One of the recipes she swears by, though, to satisfy her bread cravings, is that for "Oopsie" rolls. Here's the recipe, but here's a more helpful introduction to them and all their variations. My mother will usually make up a batch of these once a week or so, I think.

and I don't use the baking mixes, because I try to eat as whole grain as possible. Most baking mixes have tons of starch. I buy all my flours from Bob's Red Mill online. My faves to use are brown rice flour, millet flour, sorghum flour, and coconut flour. Be careful with the coconut flour, though. It really absorbs the liquids, so I use a smaller proportion of it than the others. I don't know how many carbs are in the above, so this info may not be helpful to you. I do believe the Bob's Red Mill site give nutritional info on all its products. If you'd like my pancake recipe, PM me.

I see I wasn't posting fast enough :)

A note though on almond and coco flour you cannot sub those in regular recipes. Especially the coconut flour, you need specific recipes. Coconut flour is very high fiber and you use it very sparingly. Almond is more forgiving but it is not like a grain flour(although tastes pretty similiar to me).

My favs:

Almond flour- for cookies, pancakes, breading(breadcrumb sub- ie meatloaf or frying), breads(savory or sweet), crackers

Coco flour- cakes(sweet) and muffins

I usually do coco muffins for breakfast as it is cheaper for me to use as a recipe of almond flour will take around 2 cups(4 cups to a pound), while one w/ coco flour will take 1/4-1/2 cup and neither of them are cheap. Amazon has decent prices for bulk and Tropical traditions for coconut flour(only buy on sale !). Elana has a good link on her site for almond flour as well to buy in bulk.

Edited by soror

My favs:

Almond flour- for cookies, pancakes, breading(breadcrumb sub- ie meatloaf or frying), breads(savory or sweet), crackers

Coco flour- cakes(sweet) and muffins

How do you do the cookies with Almond flour??? Recipes I have found have a combo of Almond and regular flour or soy flour. I can't find one that does strictly one flour via Almond. I did find one for coconut flour though. It is different than regular recipe because it uses less flour and more eggs which is not a problem for me. More eggs it has the more it fits with my diet of low carb. :D

check out elanaspantry.com almost all her recipes are grain free(cannot think of any with grain actually). Her chocolate cookies are to die for!

I just put her two books on request at my library as it has both of her books. Her website is a gold mine!! Thanks!