Menu

I think we have settled on using BJU Science 7 with my 7th grader for next year. But, I would love to hear from others who have used it. We have never used a textbook for much of anything around here and I'm wondering if this is a difficult course to do at home. My son is advanced in his knowledge of Science, especially Biology, but he isn't strong on writing, though we are always working on that. I guess he's probably "average" in that regard but definately advanced in his understanding of Science concepts. He LOVES Biology and thinks he may want to pursue a Science degree in college.

Is this a course that is "doable" at home? Is it a 5 day a week course? I thought I'd get a kit through Home Science Tools that has most of the supplies and also the course DVD's. Are there any samples of the DVDs anywhere?

Thanks for any info.!!

This is doable at home. Just beware, ordering the kit from Home Science Tools will not give you everything for every lab. My best suggestion, print off the lab list from HST and go through it. It lists each item used in the labs in order of use, how many needed, and best of all it tells you alternative items to use instead for some things. The kit will include some normal house hold items or very easy to get items as well as science type things, but in my opinion not worth the money and if you want to do all the labs you will need to purchase more supplies.

http://www.hometrainingtools.com/images/art/SFBJUP07.pdf

Here is a link for a sample dvd course.

http://www.bjupress.com/videos/07/life_science.mov

Thank you!

I did look at the kit at Home School Tools last night and it looks like we already have some of the items. We already have dissection materials that we purchased through Apologia.

I am not clear on whether or not I should order a Student Activity Manual. I read something that indicated that it was included when you order a subject kit but I don't see it listed as a separate resource. I guess it is also a part of the Student Text? Would you recommend getting the Activity Manual? I don't mind spending the $ on it if it helps with the ease of use level of the course.

We will definately get the DVDs. So, how much teaching will we (parents) be doing? We are not at all opposed to teaching, just wondering how it works with the DVDs.

Thanks for any additional info.! I really appreciate it.

We used the DVD course years ago as our first toe-in-the-water experience with textbook science. Loved it.

The course was structured well. Each lesson has a "Teacher's Tips" video clip for the mom which helped me stay in the loop without having to do a ton of reading. And there are lists for each lesson. Even with a minimal amount of effort, it's very easy to stay organized with this course.

The course was a great introduction to textbook learning. She uses the structure of the textbook to teach. Well done!

It was one of our first introductions to non-Mom pacing. Also a great experience. During that year, I learned a lot about my kids. It was great to "compare" them to someone else's pacing. I used what I learned to adjust our pacing in the courses I plan.

AND I learned that my kids didn't really know how to study for a test. Another great eye-opener.

Great course. Great teacher. Terrific experience here. Thumbs up! (Oh - one caveat: BJU obviously teaches from a strong creation perspective. My kids thought that sometimes the teacher was rather condescending in the way she discussed certain issues; my kids really felt like they were being talked down to sometimes. That bugged them. BUT that too stirred some great conversations here.)

OH - don't order your science equipment until you get the paperwork from BJU. All of the labs are done onscreen, so your kids don't have to do them. But we liked doing some of them. It's best to get your lists from BJU and then pick and choose the labs that you want to watch and the labs that you want to do on your own after watching them. Then you can easily order items from the Home Science Tools list.

Peace,

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

Between the DVD and the textbook your son will be set unless he needs some assistance with the labs. My son did not use the DVD and was fine with just the text and only a few times needing me to clarify something.

The student book has the activity manual in the back so purchasing a separate one is not necessary. One thing you can do that I found made it more easy to use was get the spines cut off. Then separate the activity portion from the book and have the book spiral bound and the activity portion spiral bound. This makes it easy to refer back to the text when doing the lab and the activity books stay open for ease of use.

Between the DVD and the textbook your son will be set unless he needs some assistance with the labs. My son did not use the DVD and was fine with just the text and only a few times needing me to clarify something.

:iagree:

This is doable at home.
The course was a great introduction to textbook learning.
:iagree:

BJU's Life Science was the first time in any subject that we used an official textbook. It was fabulous. Challenging, yes. But worth every bit of it. We did not use the DVDs. I read the text right along with my son (learning quite a bit), and then we discussed it section by section. The tests are difficult, but they challenged my son in a good way. He certainly learned to pay attention to ALL the details in the text including diagrams and pictures.

I also completely agree that you should get the text materials first. Read through the labs and decide which ones you want to actually complete at home. We did most of them (that might be unusual) in Life Science. My son especially enjoyed the microscope labs and the frog dissection. But I did not order materials for the labs I knew we would not try at home.

HTH!

Wow, I am so excited to hear such positive opinions! I have given it so much thought. I wasn't eager to use Life Science since he has such a good foundation in Biology already. But, I've looked at everything I can think of and keep reading and hearing that BJU is a great option for Science lovers. I don't want to use solely living books for upper middle school and I don't want to use Apologia, so I guess we will just start with Life Science. I know there will be alot of new content for him. I hope it goes well for him and he can stick with BJU Science through HS.

Thanks for advice about the supplies. I will need to be frugal in that area since we will need to purchase a "real" microscope.

I saw that there are both course DVDs and dissection DVDs. We will probably end up getting both sets. Good thing I don't have many other purchases to make for next year!

Edited by Donna T.

I saw that there are both course DVDs and dissection DVDs. We will probably end up getting both sets. Good thing I don't have many other purchases to make for next year!

You will not need to purchase the $100 dissection/lab DVDs if you are going to get the course DVDs! All of the dissections/labs are shown in the course DVDs. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
You will not need to purchase the $100 dissection/lab DVDs if you are going to get the course DVDs! All of the dissections/labs are shown in the course DVDs. ;)

Oh goodness, thank you!! I hope I order the right thing!!

I am planning to order the Life Science Investigations 3 DVD set. They sell for $109.00.

But, I saw that there are also Biology Dissection Labs that sell for $49.95.

So, the dissection labs will be on the Investigations DVDs??

Thanks again!

I want to be another voice encouraging you, it is very doable at home. I didn't use any DVDs. Buy the BJU books, then go through their list of supplies needed and pick those you want/need to get. I spent about the same amount as the HST kit, but got a very different set of supplies. In the BJU book it will give you page numbers that each supply is used on. If it is very expensive and only used for one not very important lab, skip it. If it is a critical lab or is used often, buy it! I spend a little time going through this to make choices, but the labs are very doable for a homeschool and are a lot of fun. I'll be doing this course for the second time this year and I'm looking forward to it!

Oh goodness, thank you!! I hope I order the right thing!!

I am planning to order the Life Science Investigations 3 DVD set. They sell for $109.00.

But, I saw that there are also Biology Dissection Labs that sell for $49.95.

So, the dissection labs will be on the Investigations DVDs??

Thanks again!

I believe the Dissection Labs DVD is to accompany their High School Biology?

We used the Life Science Investigations DVDs and they are outstanding! Mrs. Vick is a very gifted teacher. Her explanation of the concepts tied the textbook reading DD already completed to the labs she was about to perform. Having the DVD also allowed us to pick and choose the labs we wanted to do at home while not skipping any since DD could watch the ones we didn't want to set-up or buy supplies for.

I can hardly wait to do this course again with my younger DD in another year. My older DD learned so much and really enjoyed the material.

I want to be another voice encouraging you, it is very doable at home. I didn't use any DVDs. Buy the BJU books, then go through their list of supplies needed and pick those you want/need to get. I spent about the same amount as the HST kit, but got a very different set of supplies. In the BJU book it will give you page numbers that each supply is used on. If it is very expensive and only used for one not very important lab, skip it. If it is a critical lab or is used often, buy it! I spend a little time going through this to make choices, but the labs are very doable for a homeschool and are a lot of fun. I'll be doing this course for the second time this year and I'm looking forward to it!

Thank you so much for sharing. I have been going through the supply list. I am a little aggravated with it. It would be so much better if they listed the supplies in the order that they would be needed rather than in alphabetical order. Atleast that is the way they are listed in the book. I haven't had a chance to look at the CD-roms yet.

How can I know which labs are the more important ones before we get started with it? And all that equipment :eek:.

I believe the Dissection Labs DVD is to accompany their High School Biology?

I don't know. They are listed under the Science 7 materials on the BJU site. I knew they were probably optional but thought my son would enjoy them. Glad to hear they are included in the course DVD.

How can I know which labs are the more important ones before we get started with it? And all that equipment :eek:.

Read the lab. What are they learning? Does it enhance the learning from the chapter or is just something to do? Will they have a deeper understanding of the concept when they are done? I think doing the dissections are high on the importance level.

I've been going through Biology labs for ds tonight and haven't checked back to see if I need anything other than a worm and a frog for Life Science yet :).

Read the lab. What are they learning? Does it enhance the learning from the chapter or is just something to do? Will they have a deeper understanding of the concept when they are done? I think doing the dissections are high on the importance level.

I've been going through Biology labs for ds tonight and haven't checked back to see if I need anything other than a worm and a frog for Life Science yet :).

Yes, that's what I'll do, go through each lab and read everything. I just need to set the time aside and DO IT!! He has done alot of dissecting in the past. He loves it. I think we have a worm and frog already.

This is so exciting!! My little Scientist is growing up. I think I just might cry.

You might find this helpful for cross-referencing supplies for each lab:

The Home Training Tools order form has the lab number next to each item (ie: course sand for labs 1C and 19D - for chapter 1 and chapter 19).

Also, if you're a member of HSLDA there's a coupon code for 10% off.

I personally read through every single lab and then looked at the order form to determine which ones seemed worth doing depending on price. For instance, we did all of the dissections and microscope labs since the dissection tools, microscope and slides can be used again and again they were worth purchasing. We skipped the irradiated radish lab ($27.95 for radiated seeds) and bug collection (yuk!) and just watched those on the DVD.

ETA: One lab we found especially fun was plant identification. DD drew a map of our yard and then went around to every tree and shrub and looked up the names in a gardening book. It looked kind of boring at first glance in the book, but I'm glad we didn't skip it.

Edited by amtmcm

We did the insect collection.

It was one of the most rewarding projects that my ds has done during our homeschooling journey. He collected 50 different insects and specifically identified them (using field guides and bug id guides on the internet). He worked on this project all summer long (catching, killing, identifying, labeling) before the actual course began. Then he selected 20 of his favorite specimens (all different types) to mount with pins in the display case. He carefully mounted them and wrote a little id card to put beside each one.

We have this insect collection hanging in our school room. I'm telling you...it is a work of art. It has been there for 2 years now with no decay. If I had a picture right now, I would include it. I could do this later.

But a warning...my younger son did a "lite" version...just collected some bugs with no labels and put them in a cheaper display case. Apparently, one of the bugs was carrying either eggs or tiny babies when he put it in his case. A couple of months later we noticed that something had eaten all of the other bugs! Lots of "bug dust" left in his case. Now that WAS gross!

After seeing how nice my son's collection looked, I started a butterfly collection to hang in my little daughter's room. I have collected over 20 different types of butterflies from our backyard. I am just missing one that I have seen but haven't been able to catch. Then I'm going to hang it in her room. A butterfly collection is especially beautiful!

HTH! Jetta

P.S. My son also really enjoyed the mapping/plant identification lab. In fact, he (we) enjoyed all of the Life Science and Earth/Space science labs that we chose to do. Very worthwhile. Now he is ready for physical science...the labs just don't seem as "cool", but I may be wrong. We shall see.

You might find this helpful for cross-referencing supplies for each lab:

The Home Training Tools order form has the lab number next to each item (ie: course sand for labs 1C and 19D - for chapter 1 and chapter 19).

I personally read through every single lab and then looked at the order form to determine which ones seemed worth doing depending on price.

:iagree: This is what I did as well for this fall. I actually spent less than if I had bought the kit.

For the irradiated seed lab, I am planning on using this online lab so my only cost is for an inexpensive packet of seeds.

We did the insect collection.

It was one of the most rewarding projects that my ds has done during our homeschooling journey. He collected 50 different insects and specifically identified them (using field guides and bug id guides on the internet). He worked on this project all summer long (catching, killing, identifying, labeling) before the actual course began. Then he selected 20 of his favorite specimens (all different types) to mount with pins in the display case. He carefully mounted them and wrote a little id card to put beside each one.

We enjoyed the insect collection too, but instead of catching and killing, ds took pictures of each of the insects with the digital camera and put together a presentation with around 50 identified pictures. We're not big on unnecessary killing even of insects :001_smile:,

We enjoyed the insect collection too, but instead of catching and killing, ds took pictures of each of the insects with the digital camera and put together a presentation with around 50 identified pictures. We're not big on unnecessary killing even of insects :001_smile:,

That's a great idea. I am the same way. I noticed the collecting assignments and knew I wouldn't want to kill the insects. Just doesn't feel right.

If I had a picture right now, I would include it. I could do this later.

Thanks so much for sharing! I told my son about your post. He doesn't share my hesitancy to kill his specimens, and he would love to see your son's project, if you get around to sharing it!! He already has a collection of live insects in his room. Now he is excited to make a display (with different insects, those are his pets - he calls it his Insect Zoo).

:iagree:We'd love to see it, too! :D

Thanks so much for sharing! I told my son about your post. He doesn't share my hesitancy to kill his specimens, and he would love to see your son's project, if you get around to sharing it!! He already has a collection of live insects in his room. Now he is excited to make a display (with different insects, those are his pets - he calls it his Insect Zoo).

Hmmm...I'm kind of new at this. Let me see if I can figure out how to attach some pics.

post-3549-13535085024851_thumb.jpg

Okay. I think it worked.

The first one is a shot of the whole collection hanging on the wall in our school room. The second two pics are close-ups to give you an idea of how he labeled the specimens. When you take a look, please remember that this was done by a boy between 5th and 6th grade! HeeHee! Anyway, he did this for 50 different insects. He only selected a few to put in his collection (we threw the rest away at the end of the year...which was kind of hard to do because this project was a lot of work and took a lot of time). He based his selections on the orders...not the beauty of the specimens. In retrospect, I wish he had saved the most interesting ones instead. :)

We purchased the display case and the pins from Home Science Tools.

http://www.hometrainingtools.com/riker-display-case-12-x-16/p/BE-CAS1216/

We also bought a nice butterfly net from them; I'm so glad we got the net because we have used it many times since then to rescue butterflies who have found their way into our screen porch.

Honestly, I wasn't too fond of killing the insects, either. "Hurt no living thing" was one of the first poems my son memorized. But just like the worm and frog dissection (someone killed them...), I felt the project was beneficial for my son. We tried to make it as easy as possible by collecting already dead insects and using ethyl acetate to quickly kill the others (it works fast!). The prize insect was the luna moth in the top left corner of the case; my son found it near the very end of the summer...already dead. He was ecstatic! (You can see in the picture that he drew a prize ribbon on the luna's label). If we do this again with our younger son, we might try the photo method.

My son started working on his collection in June of that year and continued until August. It took that long to collect 50 different insects (which is a LOT). One thing we all learned from the project is the migration or short appearance of different varieties. Now we know when the tiger swallowtails will be abundant in our area...or the red velvet ants...or the sulphers. He doesn't have a monarch because they come through our area before the summer...and again at the very end of "summer". It would be interesting to collect over a whole year's span to learn about the seasonal variations in insects.

Anyway, this is probably more information than you wanted! If you have anymore questions, please don't hesitate to ask. We LOVED Life Science! :) Jetta

post-3549-13535085023794_thumb.jpg

post-3549-13535085024242_thumb.jpg

post-3549-13535085023794_thumb.jpg

post-3549-13535085024242_thumb.jpg

post-3549-13535085024851_thumb.jpg