Menu

What kind of audio setup do you have?

We are moving into a house shortly and I would like to set up some kind of audio system so we can listen to music and audiobooks in different rooms, preferably in mp3 format. At the moment, our 'system' consists of a small CD player that is teetering on its last legs, and a bunch of CDs in broken cases. I have an iPod shuffle that I fill with music that I have either transferred from my CDs to my computer or that i have downloaded. (DH and I both have Mac laptops, if that matters.)

If we were to stick with CDs, obviously I'd just get CD players for different rooms, including a durable one for the kids, but I'd love to join the 21st century and move to mp3 format if possible. How do I do this? What kind of equipment would I need, and what's the best way to manage the music/books?

My dh has set up streaming based from his Apple computer. We copy the cd onto the computer and then can play a book into the kids room or downstairs over the speakers. Each room has a small device and is hooked into their stereo. Not sure exactly how this works, but I can get more info for you.

My dh has set up streaming based from his Apple computer. We copy the cd onto the computer and then can play a book into the kids room or downstairs over the speakers. Each room has a small device and is hooked into their stereo. Not sure exactly how this works, but I can get more info for you.

Apple Airport Express is what we have, and I think what you are talking about. They work great!

If we want to listen toa radio station we do so through the radio channels on DirecTV. For individual listening, and road trips, we each and an iPod that we load up. I have all the music CDs in the house ripped to the computer so I can update easily. Audio books tend to be a family road trip thing and we listen to them in the car.

We set up an old/obsolete computer as a music server with an older version of iTunes. It has all of our music on it and is hooked up to the internet, stereo, and ipod docks. But it can't play different things in different rooms at the same time; I don't know how you'd do that.

We set up an old/obsolete computer as a music server with an older version of iTunes. It has all of our music on it and is hooked up to the internet, stereo, and ipod docks. But it can't play different things in different rooms at the same time; I don't know how you'd do that.

We don't need to play different things in different rooms at the same time, or even the same things at the same time -- I just want people to be able to listen to music in different rooms, if that makes sense.

Your setup sounds quite promising. How do you have it set up? Does it send the music to the different locations through the internet? Do you need to put an iPod in the dock, or do you just need the computer? (Sorry for my ignorance here.)