Menu

Dry curly blond hair, what to do????

Ok, this may sound like a really dumb question... My oldest dd (14) has long blond curly hair, it is totally different than mine. Her hair is completely unmanageable. For awhile she left it curly and it looked quite nice (used Curly girl book) but now that she is back to ballet full time is isn't eay to have curly hair and have to have it in a bun. So she straightens it but it becomes dry and in the front will stick straight up unless she gels it. Then she puts too much gel in it so it looks greasy. Does any one have a suggestion for a hair product that might help her out???

I have curly hair. Mine isn't long because it just doesn't work for my face. Some suggestions (similar to Curly Girl, but modified to work for many people in the real world.)

1. Minimize shampoo use, but condition everyday. I wash my scalp with shampoo 1 - 2 times a week, but I condition and comb the conditioner through every day.

2. Don't rub dry with a towel, but squeeze it and then wrap with towel for several minutes.

3. Apply a curl defining gel. I absolutely LOVE Aquage defining gel or Curl Defining

Creme - doesn't become greasy or too heavy. Frizz-ease hair serum is a cheaper option that is more readily available. Comb through, let air dry without touching it as much as possible. I use clips to add body to the top or pull it from my face.

5. When the hair is dry, I scrunch and smoothe a small amount of Frizz-ease Secret Weapon flawless finishing cream into my hair to give it a little less fuzz and more shine.

4. Since she needs to put it up for class, she can just finger comb it into the pony and then create the bun. It won't be slicked back, but it will be neat and less frizzy. If she does this with the Secret Weapon, it will make the hair smoother without pulling out the curls.

Thanks Ellen! I have curly and frizzy hair as well. The gel I was using has become hard to find, so I have been looking for something more readily available.

Probably a silly question, but just to clarify: When you say you condition your hair every day, is that like in the shower you get it all wet and condition it, or do you not wet it first?

I have a small haircare budget and big, thick, curly hair. I use Suave smoothing cream, it's cheap and doesn't build up. I also condition with moisture products and stengthening products.

Cutting back on shampooing will help. Also make sure your final rinse is done in cooler water, it helps close the curly hair shaft.

I have super-curly hair and I don't use most gels (many contain alcohol and are too drying) or silicone products (short term they look OK but they do bad stuff to your hair). I only straighten my hair *extremely* rarely (like when I go to a ball). It just damages your hair too much to do it every day. I like the Jesicurl products and the haircare line from Lush. If you want to stick to drugstore brands look for things that don't contain silicones. As far as ballet goes-the only thing that helps me keep my curls back is lots and lots of bobby pins.

More on the curlygirl method:

http://www.wikihow.com/Follow-the-Curly-Girl-Method-for-Curly-Hair

Thanks for all the advice. I bought some Frizz-Ease products last night. She will see how they work for her. I love her hair curly and it was so much healthier. She let it go curly and followed the curly girl book while she was injured and out of ballet but now that she dancing she wants straight hair again:confused:

Thanks again to all who responded:001_smile:

:confused:I have very curly blondish hair. It frizzes horribly if I brush it. I found a knock off at Walmart called Silk Works. It works just as well as the Salon kind. I use about 1 dime size portion. Also...is she using a spray before she straightens? They have heat protection sprays.

My daughter's hair is starting to curl and she's in ballet also. She has a problem with the "fuzzies" around her face. She usually washes her hair before dance and puts it in the bun wet.

I hope this helps some.....

melissa