Menu

Watching Bob Bowden's "The Cartel"

and I want to drive to New Jersey and kick someone in the shins. I wonder if anything has changed in the NJ school system since 2009.

Has anyone else watched this?

The sad fact is that school systems in other states aren't significantly better than in Jersey. They all are corrupt and stupid. The Cartel focused on Jersey, but it could have focused on any other state and been nearly as upsetting.

Under our current Governor the way charter schools are funded has changed somewhat. We're opening more charters every year. The teachers' unions despise the Gov and have spent millions on negative ads against him. He's changed the funding mechanism for schools via property taxes, putting a cap on yearly increases. The unions are soooo powerful in Jersey, and because the schools in the affluent areas are high performing many folks are slow to accept change. The schools in the inner cities are awful and wasteful and not improving.

We watched it a couple weeks ago and felt the same way.

Crazy illegal nuts that the citizens don't march out in riots of anger of over it.

Seriously. As crazy as the cartel is, I find it even more nuts that the citizens don't revolt against it!

The sad fact is that school systems in other states aren't significantly better than in Jersey. They all are corrupt and stupid. The Cartel focused on Jersey, but it could have focused on any other state and been nearly as upsetting.

Under our current Governor the way charter schools are funded has changed somewhat. We're opening more charters every year. The teachers' unions despise the Gov and have spent millions on negative ads against him. He's changed the funding mechanism for schools via property taxes, putting a cap on yearly increases. The unions are soooo powerful in Jersey, and because the schools in the affluent areas are high performing many folks are slow to accept change. The schools in the inner cities are awful and wasteful and not improving.

I don't doubt that the systems everywhere are equally corrupt. "The Cartel" just put NJ at the center of the discussion. I'm glad to hear some changes are being made that might help the students AND the taxpayers.

I made my DH watch it. Until that point he didn't have an opinion on homeschooling...now he does. I actually started yelling at my tv during this movie:glare:

My opinion is that if we did away with teachers unions then the school systems "might" have a chance.

Thanks for letting us know about this documentary. Just watched it on Netflix. I'm for choice (obviously ;) ) and was saddened to see children being denied that right. I was touched by the school taught by volunteers.:)