Menu

What's the point of reading scripture if

you're just going to snap and be rude to those around you? Perhaps I'm in a season of just staying above water, focusing on the simple things like being kind, patient, giving.

What's the point of reading non-canonized early Christian writings to find hidden truths if it annoys you to have to interact with family members?

Yes, this is a vent, I suppose.

Are you talking about the way you treat others or the way they treat you? If it's the first, reading will help you become more patient and kind. If it's the second one, reading will help you learn to deal with and forgive the people who hurt you.

I struggled with patience and still do at times. But slowly, as I read and study, it changes my impatience. Well, I'm also Catholic and the Eucharist changes me too. But, I think reading Scripture, Church Fathers and so forth, really plants seed and leads you (meaning everyone) to a better life. It helps me better handle relationships with some unkind extended family members too.

Does any of this help? Or, have I missed the point? I hope you get some answers that help you. :grouphug:

Denise

To grow. To change.

I am mortified at my behavior sometimes - even to my own family. When reading scripture, or Church Fathers or other saints' writings, I am confronted by my shortcomings, and what is more, I am given hope that I can change by the words of Jesus and the testimonies of others.

Have you ever seen that bumper sticker "Lord, save me from your followers?" Well, it is pretty snarky, but it gives me something to think about when I wear a crucifix around my neck and get impatient with someone in public.

When others are behaving badly and still professing Christ, I am reminded to stay humble.

In the Screwtape Letters (C.S. Lewis) the experienced master demon "Screwtape" advises his nephew "Wormwood" to make a concerted effort to disassociate his human's (new Christian that Wormwood is in charge of leading astray) prayer and devotional life from his real practical day to day life. I read this recently and had to sit back and ponder this. How many times have I tried to squeeze a devotional time into a hectic day only to spend the whole time irritated with my dc and lashing out at them for interrupting me?

I have taken three actions to address this in myself:

1. I set aside a time for devotions in my routine when I am most likely to be successful in focusing on God without interruption.

2. When I do get interrupted or frustrated I immediately ask myself what God's priority is? A perfect uninterrupted study time or that frustrating dc that just wants to snuggle?

3. I always enter devotions with prayer first, in the midst, and at the end, asking God to apply His word to my heart and accomplish in me what I cannot, to mold me unto His image.

I don't know how well this applies for you, but reading the Screwtape Letters has reminded me time and again that "the thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy" John 10:10

God bless

When I end up there, on either end, it's time for "Lord Jesus, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Lord Jesus, Son of God, have mercy on *name of person I'm in conflict with*, a sinner"...rinse and repeat. Amazing for my outlook on the situation :)

:grouphug:

When I end up there, on either end, it's time for "Lord Jesus, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Lord Jesus, Son of God, have mercy on *name of person I'm in conflict with*, a sinner"...rinse and repeat. Amazing for my outlook on the situation :)

:grouphug:

That's the best!!!

In the Screwtape Letters (C.S. Lewis) the experienced master demon "Screwtape" advises his nephew "Wormwood" to make a concerted effort to disassociate his human's (new Christian that Wormwood is in charge of leading astray) prayer and devotional life from his real practical day to day life.

My dh recently gave this book to our 14yodd to read. I had never heard of it before. I think I'll be next in line to read it!

I find that this happens to me a lot. The Jesus Prayer (Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner) helps for sure, as well as trying to remember in a conscious way that the person I'm irritated with is also made in the image of God. Once I had a real flash of it when DD asked me to do something for her. I bent down to help her and I was almost overwhelmed by the realization that I was looking at a living icon of Christ! I strive to keep that moment present in my mind all the time, but I still fail more often than I succeed. It's a never ending struggle.

Here is a quote from St. Theophan the Recluse that I find very encouraging:

"The state of those progressing towards perfection... is a state of struggle - intense, laborious and full of tribulation. This state of progressing - is the narrow path."