Menu

Do you believe the only path to God is...(CC)

Do you believe the *only* path to God is by going to church?  

1. 1. Do you believe the *only* path to God is by going to church?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Other.

No. In fact, we refused to attend a church where the minister stated that "I'd be rich if I had a dollar for every time someone said they could be a Christian and not go to church."

It's what's in your heart/faith that matters, not the building.

No, has nothing to do with going to a church. Do you believe Jesus died for your sins and do you repent of any wrongdoing and ask him to save you?

If so, you are saved...at least IMHO.

The Bible says "not to forego the company of other believers..." but it does not say attending a church saves anyone.

:iagree:

No, has nothing to do with going to a church. Do you believe Jesus died for your sins and do you repent of any wrongdoing and ask him to save you?

If so, you are saved...at least IMHO.

The Bible says "not to forego the company of other believers..." but it does not say attending a church saves anyone.

This exactly!

No. In fact, we refused to attend a church where the minister stated that "I'd be rich if I had a dollar for every time someone said they could be a Christian and not go to church."

It's what's in your heart/faith that matters, not the building.

I think what the minister probably meant here is that if someone professes faith in Christ they are going to be drawn to and have a desire to fellowship and worship with other believers, and if they don't have that desire then perhaps their profession of faith was not of the heart (i.e., genuine). I don't think he meant that going to church is the path to salvation.

Jesus said, "I am the way the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." John 14:6

Salvation does not happen because one attends church or a member.

To be a Christian is to repent of sin and trust in Christ alone for salvation.

Church meaning corporate worship and Church meaning the Body of Christ, the family of believers, are both very important. One who claims to be a Christian and doesn't worship, serve and belong with a local church family is not living Biblically.

Church meaning corporate worship and Church meaning the Body of Christ, the family of believers, are both very important. One who claims to be a Christian and doesn't worship, serve and belong with a local church family is not living Biblically.

I have to say I disagree with this. We had to leave our previous church over a year ago, because we felt they were really leaving the teachings of the Word and there was widespread corruption. We still haven't found one that we feel is right for our family, after much prayer and petition to God (and a move out of that particular small town). I don't think we're not living Biblically because we're not attending church at the moment. I think it would be much easier on us spiritually, and emotionally, to have a church family, which is why we're told not to forsake the fellowship of believers. But... what if you have no believers where you are? Then what? Who do you fellowship with?

The "Church" is the Body of Christ... people. People connect today in many, many different ways, from face to face, to using technology like we are now. I really believe that the fellowship of believers can happen in many ways, not just in a church building, or with a local fellowship of believers.

I think what the minister probably meant here is that if someone professes faith in Christ they are going to be drawn to and have a desire to fellowship and worship with other believers, and if they don't have that desire then perhaps their profession of faith was not of the heart (i.e., genuine). I don't think he meant that going to church is the path to salvation.

That's a good point and an angle I never looked at. I was more appalled he sent someone out to tell people in the foyer to be quiet when no one could hear anything. Turned out a lady of the congregation had called the ambulance due to a medication mix up and feeling very light headed. I was terrified if my then 2 year old made a peep he might ask me to leave. :lol:

I agree, but I did get tired of hearing the guilt-trip speech every Sunday that we believers should be there every time the doors were open. And attendance records on display? Oh, puleeze.

I have to say I disagree with this. We had to leave our previous church over a year ago, because we felt they were really leaving the teachings of the Word and there was widespread corruption. We still haven't found one that we feel is right for our family, after much prayer and petition to God (and a move out of that particular small town). I don't think we're not living Biblically because we're not attending church at the moment. I think it would be much easier on us spiritually, and emotionally, to have a church family, which is why we're told not to forsake the fellowship of believers. But... what if you have no believers where you are? Then what? Who do you fellowship with?

The "Church" is the Body of Christ... people. People connect today in many, many different ways, from face to face, to using technology like we are now. I really believe that the fellowship of believers can happen in many ways, not just in a church building, or with a local fellowship of believers.

:iagree: