Menu

What happens when you don't pay your taxes?

My husband, who is normally very on top of things, just informed me he forgot to pay our local income taxes. Well, I guess it is automatically taken out of his paycheck, but he forgot to FILE to see if we owe more or whatever. I am uptight over this. He is very relaxed. What happens when you do this VERY LATE?

Sounds reasonable. He says we probably only owe $10 and he is not worried about it. This is the sort of thing that keeps me up at night though. DIDN"T EVEN FILE?!?! ARGH!!!

Now, he spent time this evening getting really upset with me because I left the ice cream on the counter for 5 minutes and it melted a tad...but I am not supposed to get concerned that the taxes weren't filed when they were due 6 weeks ago?!?!

Just found this, looks like it isn't so terrible as long as he pays it ASAP, but man do I hate things like this! How could he overlook this?

Penalties for Not Filing or for Filing a Late Return

PA law imposes a penalty if you do not file your return

on or before the due date, or the approved extended

due date. The penalty is 5 percent of the unpaid tax

due for each month or fraction of a month. PA law

imposes this penalty unless you show reasonable

cause for late filing. The maximum penalty is 25 percent. The minimum penalty is $5. The Department may

prosecute any person who attempts to evade or defeat

his or her PA tax responsibility.

We neglected to pay property tax (on a vehicle) to a small city we lived in 4 years ago. Actually, we didn't really owe the tax, but they didn't know that and we never got around to proving it. They have faithfully found us each time we moved (three times!) and continue to send us the tax bill with a small penalty included. We're finally going to just pay it because we're so impressed with how they've tracked us down -- somebody got paid to do this! "Oh Love, that will not let me go-o . . . " :lol:

Six months late would be worse than six weeks. Don't worry about it too much. (But I know how you feel about dh not taking care of something).

I know for federal taxes you have to pay a fine, even if they owe you money. The longer you wait, the bigger the fine.

That's not true in my experience. I tried to use the eFile service one year and for some reason I did the wrong thing and our return didn't go in. I had no idea until about six weeks later when I went to check the "where's my refund" website and found no record of our filing. I was terrified. I called the IRS in a panic and a very nice man told me that if we were expecting a refund there was no penalty whatsoever.