Menu

11th grade curriculum suggestions?

I am going to be starting 11th grade next year and I would love to know what you all have used yourself or with your kids. I have had quite a few suggestions that have helped me so far but more would help!

I love to read, history, english, and science are my favorite core subjects, art, music and any kind of sport are my favorite elective courses. I also love to write and english and history are great for that, and I love to bechallenged in these course as well. Math and science I like being average, and Spanish is more for fun. Here is what I have so far:

Math: Lial's intermediate algebra (possibly w/Jann in TX)

Spanish: Visual Link Spanish

Electives: Music theory, Music, Photography, Art, Sports, Volunteering

And that's all! I need some help please! What are you doing with your 11th grader or have done? TIA!:bigear:

My teens loved using this for 11th grade: http://www.sonlight.com/core-300.html

Lots of great books, thoughtful discussions, interesting and challenging writing projects came out of it!

I bought a gently used set, and then re-sold it for what I paid for it.

If you want to think about it, you can order a free catalog from Sonlight and pore through their book listings. Have fun picking your curriculum!

We just finished 11th grade. We did:

BJU Algebra 2 w/online dvds

Apologia Chemistry w/Virtual Homeschool Group (chemistry was very hard for us)

All American History, Vol. 1 & 2

English - BJU Writing/Grammar, Scott Foresman Literature, SAT Vocabulary Cartoons

Art - Mark Kisler's Draw Squad (book only)

P.E. - daily exercise program

Spanish - a combination of things, was difficult, suggest a computer program and/or a tutor

BJU DVD programs are really good, not cheap, but good! My oldest ds did the 10th grade BJU DVD curriculum. It was rigorous and took a good amount of work, but my ds looks back on that year as one where he learned to work hard and learned a lot!

ETA: DD will be in 10th next year. If all goes well, then for 11th she'll most likely be doing Lial's Algebra 2, Chemistry (not sure whether to look at something like Spectrum or see if I can find a co-op that's teaching it, or what), and MFW for History, Bible and English, Piano and maybe Voice Lessons, and maybe a couple of electives.

Edited by Brindee

My teens loved using this for 11th grade: http://www.sonlight.com/core-300.html

Lots of great books, thoughtful discussions, interesting and challenging writing projects came out of it!

I bought a gently used set, and then re-sold it for what I paid for it.

If you want to think about it, you can order a free catalog from Sonlight and pore through their book listings. Have fun picking your curriculum!

This looks amazing, but is there anyway to find it cheaper? Lol it is a lot of money for one subject but you do get a lot from it.

We just finished 11th grade. We did:

BJU Algebra 2 w/online dvds

Apologia Chemistry w/Virtual Homeschool Group (chemistry was very hard for us)

All American History, Vol. 1 & 2

English - BJU Writing/Grammar, Scott Foresman Literature, SAT Vocabulary Cartoons

Art - Mark Kisler's Draw Squad (book only)

P.E. - daily exercise program

Spanish - a combination of things, was difficult, suggest a computer program and/or a tutor

How is BJU writing/grammer? I was thinking of doing TOG along with Wordly Wise and ACT prep books but is BJU any good? For spanish I am doing Virtual link Spanish, maybe Rosetta Stone again, and co-op classes as well. What could I do for English if I already did AMerican Lit? British Lit? After I do American History, can I do world history?

BJU DVD programs are really good, not cheap, but good! My oldest ds did the 10th grade BJU DVD curriculum. It was rigorous and took a good amount of work, but my ds looks back on that year as one where he learned to work hard and learned a lot!

ETA: DD will be in 10th next year. If all goes well, then for 11th she'll most likely be doing Lial's Algebra 2, Chemistry (not sure whether to look at something like Spectrum or see if I can find a co-op that's teaching it, or what), and MFW for History, Bible and English, Piano and maybe Voice Lessons, and maybe a couple of electives.

I hear alot about MFW, how is it? I was also considering Ambleside online just for fun and to add more to my curriculum. I am trying to stick within a budget which is probably $300, is there anyway to find some things gently used but not too expensive?

Thank you all so much! (And I love Lial's, I might take the class Jann in TX offers!):)

What we have planned for 11th grade next year:

foreign language - Spanish I and II at the cc (used Visual Link Spanish this year)

history - Oak Meadow World Geography (used Oak Meadow World History this year)

science - Introductory Chemistry by Nivaldo Tro (used Giancoli's Physics this year)

English - probably English I and II at the cc, but will do Oak Meadow World Literature if that doesn't work out

math - Lial's Precalculus

electives - Psychology at the cc this summer, probably Fundamentals of Progamming next summer

I dumped almost everything I used for my oldest for 11th grade because we both hated it:

SL Core 300 - complete scatter shot with no overriding organization at all (yes, there was a schedule, but the whole program felt scattered because nothing tied it all together)

Larson's Precalculus - explanations weren't very good and my dd hated the videos

Hewitt's Conceptual Physics - explanations weren't very good and I found it difficult to teach from

Japanese I and II at the cc were very good

Drawing I and II at the cc were very good

Psychology at the cc was okay

Digital Imaging I at the cc was fantastic

What we have planned for 11th grade next year:

foreign language - Spanish I and II at the cc (used Visual Link Spanish this year)

history - Oak Meadow World Geography (used Oak Meadow World History this year)

science - Introductory Chemistry by Nivaldo Tro (used Giancoli's Physics this year)

English - probably English I and II at the cc, but will do Oak Meadow World Literature if that doesn't work out

math - Lial's Precalculus

electives - Psychology at the cc this summer, probably Fundamentals of Progamming next summer

I dumped almost everything I used for my oldest for 11th grade because we both hated it:

SL Core 300 - complete scatter shot with no overriding organization at all (yes, there was a schedule, but the whole program felt scattered because nothing tied it all together)

Larson's Precalculus - explanations weren't very good and my dd hated the videos

Hewitt's Conceptual Physics - explanations weren't very good and I found it difficult to teach from

Japanese I and II at the cc were very good

Drawing I and II at the cc were very good

Psychology at the cc was okay

Digital Imaging I at the cc was fantastic

More questions if you don't mind answering them!:) About Oak Meadow, is it good? I have heard that it works well, and I really want a strong english program because I may want to minor in english. Oh and Oak Meadow World History, how was that? Is it secular? I don't mind so much as long as the book doesn't try to push the beliefs on you. I am hoping I will be able to take some co-op classes next school year, no cc classes yet though. And Visual Link Spanish is a life saver! I have only looked at the samples and I can'twait to try it! I am so glad you suggested it, much better than Rosetta Stone was.

Thanks for all the help!:001_smile:

My niece just graduated from college this year with a degree in music therapy. She is starting her first job in the field next week working with autistic children.

Have you considered taking a social sciences course such as human development or child psychology? You could possibly integrate your writing with it by doing some research papers.

Oak Meadow history is secular. I really like their high school level history. I have bought some sets (student book, syllabus, and tm) used on the WTM secular board. For others I have bought the textbook used on amazon and the syllabus and tm new from Oak Meadow.

Oak Meadow English is sort-of secular. They clearly expect you to be familiar with all the Bible stories. Their English program isn't what I'd call particularly strong. It gets the job done and not a lot more than that. That's all I was looking for.

My son did this for 11th grade this year...

Chalkdust Pre-calc along with Chalkdust SAT Math DVD review(planning on SAT MAth 2 subject exam)

Cambridge Latin IV

American Vision for US History (planning on SAT subject exam next Saturday)

Campbell's Biology with DIVE biology labs

Art - artistic pursuits

violin - private lessons

English - lots of reading novels, IEW High School Essay Intensive, lots of SAT critical reading dvds from library, SAT vocab cartoons - kind of a catch-all year in preparation for SAT exam in May

Health - my own mix and match - one semester

It was a full and busy year!

Myra

How is BJU writing/grammer? I was thinking of doing TOG along with Wordly Wise and ACT prep books but is BJU any good? For spanish I am doing Virtual link Spanish, maybe Rosetta Stone again, and co-op classes as well. What could I do for English if I already did AMerican Lit? British Lit? After I do American History, can I do world history?

We do literature, composition, grammar and vocabulary for our English. I get a literature text (Scott Foresman) and pick out of it for literature, and add a whole book or two. We like BJU Writing/Grammar, but have done it for years. Others say it is hard, but we are used to it. You might want to look at one to make sure you like it (BJU does hotel meetings all summer long). You might want to go a grade or two lower than your current grade level. If you can afford it, I highly recommend getting the online dvd access, it helps to have a teacher explain the concepts.

We did American Literature and U.S. History in 11th grade, and will do Government, Economics and British Literature for 12th grade.

Thank you all for the curriculum suggestions, they have really helped and I might be able to narrow down some in time for 11th grade. I just get nervous starting a new year because I want to start it off right and not mess up (which happens a lot). I will take a look and see what I find!

Thanks again!:)

Our plans for 11th grade so far are: MFW World History for English, History & Bible; Derek Owens for Geometry w/Jacobs; Peter Moskaluk/ChemAdvantage for Advanced Chemistry w/Chang; Ongoing Community Service w/Meals on Wheels. Still figuring out Spanish..

Edited by mom2paul

Thank you all for the curriculum suggestions, they have really helped and I might be able to narrow down some in time for 11th grade. I just get nervous starting a new year because I want to start it off right and not mess up (which happens a lot). I will take a look and see what I find!

Thanks again!:)

I think the first step in choosing the next year's curricula is to look at what you used this year, and evaluate how well you did with it, and whether it met your expectations. Look at each text and see how much you accomplished and learned compared to your goals at the beginning of the year. If something has worked well, there's no need to make a change for the sake of change. Looking closely at each subject, in this way, will help you to know what, if anything, you are looking to change. Your questions about each subject could then be more specific in your search to narrow down your options for next year. Just a thought.

This looks amazing, but is there anyway to find it cheaper? Lol it is a lot of money for one subject but you do get a lot from it.

I went back and checked my figures ... I bought Sonlight's Core 300 for $250 and sold it for $300 a year later. :001_smile: It counted for both World History and 20th Century Literature, so think of it as two really deep subjects! But yes, it is a lot of money to shell out. The good thing is, with Sonlight, you will generally get back what you paid for it, if you are able to buy a used set.

Here is what we plan to do

Algebra 2 with Jann in Tx

American History at community college over the summer

Chemistry hopefully with Virtual Homeschool Group

Foreign language (Italian, German, French, or Spanish) using ????

Music Theory at community college

a writing course or lit analysis course with ??? (would like to use Laurel Tree...but community college courses are eating the budget)

Orchestra (play trumpet in youth orchestra and continue to take lessons)

Edited 5/30/11 Oh, I forgot, technology class over the summer and a study skills class (with TPS) over the summer

Edited by ValRN
left something out

I went back and checked my figures ... I bought Sonlight's Core 300 for $250 and sold it for $300 a year later. :001_smile: It counted for both World History and 20th Century Literature, so think of it as two really deep subjects! But yes, it is a lot of money to shell out. The good thing is, with Sonlight, you will generally get back what you paid for it, if you are able to buy a used set.

Ohh thank God! I really thought it cost so much more, if I can find a used set. I might look into this more and thank you for double checking! And I love accomplishing two things at once!

Our plans for 11th grade so far are: MFW World History for English, History & Bible; Derek Owens for Geometry w/Jacobs; Peter Moskaluk/ChemAdvantage for Advanced Chemistry w/Chang; Ongoing Community Service w/Meals on Wheels. Still figuring out Spanish..

Visual Link Spanish is really good! Just thought I would put that out there, and MFW, sounds interesting, I would love a bible plan and maybe an english one as well.

Thanks!:)

My dd will be in 11th grade next year. She will be taking:

Chalkdust Pre-Calculus

AP US History

AP English Language and Composition

TPS French II

Chemistry

Sports Medicine

I am noticing a very good pattern in everyone's 11th grade plans and I am glad that I am on the right track! Although I won't be taking pre-calc, I will be taking algebra 2 lol.:)

Thanks!