Menu

Dyslexia curriculum. . . how do I choose-- what are all the "choices?"

I have been reading on the forum and am trying to compile all the info so I can make an informed decision about what we will use to teach him. I was taking notes so I am sure I missed a bunch of things. These are the things I am still considering.

Orton Gillingham based

Orton Gillingham's . . . although I am not sure which I'd prefer (Sensational or Go Phonics)

Barton

All about Spelling

Spell to Read and WRite

Recipe for Reading

I am most seriously considering All About Spelling or Recipe for Reading My son's working memory is significantly impaired so anything we get will more than likely need to be "tailored" to him. He is currently working through Picture Me Reading which goes to about 3rd grade level. He does VERY well with black and white pictographs so we will probably need to "tailor" everything to pictographs :) Thankfully my dh is artistic ;) I am most serious about all about spelling because the tiles are VERY appealing to me :) and I want to do less rather than more work :)

I have almost dismissed Barton because his dyslexia is moderate and his memory issues severe, KWIM?

I'd love thoughts in case my logic is flawed or I am not understanding these systems. I only know what I have read here or in online reviews. . . and I have read SO much recently that I could be remembering things incorrectly :)

THANKS!

We use AAS. My son is not dyslexic, but he does have working memory issues. I'm not sure that I'm understanding why AAS would be a better program than Barton for someone with working memory issues. :confused: Barton also uses tiles, and from what I understand, it is more thorough than AAS in many respects.

Ds's working memory issues are getting remediated, and we are now having an easier time with AAS than we did when we were starting. AAS used to take us about two weeks to get through a step. Now we usually go through a step every 3 days (give or take).

If there are memory issues but your son seems to do well with visual memory (responding to pictographs), you might consider Apples and Pears. It is not OG-based, but a number of moms with dyslexic dc have ditched AAS for A&P.

Edited by yllek
typo

What can be so hard is that one will work wonderfully for one kid, and fail miserably for another.

The actual reason for the dyslexia can be very different for each child, and each child also learns to work around it in different ways.

The best you can do, I think, is to pick the one that looks like something your child would like and just try it :)

I know - not very helpful :tongue_smilie:

I much prefer Apples and Pears to the OG methods. OG is great for teaching phonemic awareness, segmenting, etc. and is great for building reading skills. Spelling is a different beast, however, and I am not convinced that a severe dyslexic can learn to spell that way. Once you learn the phonograms you still have to memorize which phonograms to use in words, otherwise you'll spell could c-oo-d and was w-u-z.

Apples and Pears explicitly and systematically gets the child to memorize the spelling of words using morphemes. I have not seen as much hand-holding in any other program. The student starts out tracing the words, then filling in the missing blanks, then copying, finding the word in a puzzle, then using in a sentence. Lots and lots of review, lots of time spent on patterns. A child who has a poor working memory needs all this support. AAS asks the student to memorize rules and then work out mentally where to apply them. That was way too much for my kid (who also has poor working memory).

Apples and Pears includes dictation which addresses working memory issues. The program has also gotten my son over the "fourth grade hump" in reading and he is now MUCH better at reading multisyllable words. AAS may be enough for your kid (certainly there are success stories on this board) but since you say his working memory is poor, I would really look at Apples and Pears.

http://www.prometheantrust.org/usshop.htm

My 9 yr old dtr is in the 1% for working memory. She has deficits with both auditory and visual.

I used LiPS (which has all the tile work) for phonemic awareness and sound symbol recognition. We did that from last May until January of this year.

My dtr is dyspraxic also so we spent the money on VT and instead of Barton used Recipe for Reading. Her resource room teacher uses Wilson's Fundations...all work well together. I take this at her pace and work on the skill till mastery has been achieved.

Apples and Pears for spelling..exactly what Ondreeuh said! I have to redo alot of the exercises. We do not move until we have 85% mastery.

I See Sam readers (3rsplus) for readers. This moves her reading ahead of the other programs... Constant review is necessary for low working memory. It is like driving a wheel over and over a dirt road until a deep track has been laid.

Lots of workbook type books at an easier level to review material...just to be on the safe side.

Good books to read: Overcoming Dyslexia by Shelley Saywitz

How to Help your child overcome Learning Disabilities by Dr. Jerome Rosner. Everything you need to build up auditory perceptual skills is in there. Some good visual perceptual skills building, too.

We use AAS. My son is not dyslexic, but he does have working memory issues. I'm not sure that I'm understanding why AAS would be a better program than Barton for someone with working memory issues. :confused: Barton also uses tiles, and from what I understand, it is more thorough than AAS in many respects.

I was thinking AAS over Barton because we don't need the thoroughness as much as we need the repetition and as you said longer time per step. My logic. . . and am happy to see another perspective. I am still so overwhelmed with all of this that it's hard to know if my logic makes sense :tongue_smilie:

I'd love to hear how you are remediating your son's memory. We are working on it as well but I feel like we are slugging through it. . . I have been reading through the posts here about working memory. . *phew* it's a lot to take in!

I forgot to mention that the neuropsych called my son "visually and phonologically dyslexic" so we definitely need to work heavy on the phonemic awareness! He didn't list that in the report but verbally because ds is considerably more impaired phonologically than visually. However, his SLP is going to be starting LindaMoodBells program with him :thumbup:

I will definitely look into Apples and Pears. I hadn't heard of it :) Thanks!

My 9 yr old dtr is in the 1% for working memory. She has deficits with both auditory and visual.

I used LiPS (which has all the tile work) for phonemic awareness and sound symbol recognition. We did that from last May until January of this year.

My dtr is dyspraxic also so we spent the money on VT and instead of Barton used Recipe for Reading. Her resource room teacher uses Wilson's Fundations...all work well together. I take this at her pace and work on the skill till mastery has been achieved.

Apples and Pears for spelling..exactly what Ondreeuh said! I have to redo alot of the exercises. We do not move until we have 85% mastery.

I See Sam readers (3rsplus) for readers. This moves her reading ahead of the other programs... Constant review is necessary for low working memory. It is like driving a wheel over and over a dirt road until a deep track has been laid.

Lots of workbook type books at an easier level to review material...just to be on the safe side.

Good books to read: Overcoming Dyslexia by Shelley Saywitz

How to Help your child overcome Learning Disabilities by Dr. Jerome Rosner. Everything you need to build up auditory perceptual skills is in there. Some good visual perceptual skills building, too.

OK. . . your dd sounds a lot like my ds - he has auditory and visual issues as well. We are prayerfully considering VT.

I have The Saywitz book from the library. And the Rosner book is on the way :)

I agree---I See Sam readers and then once through the first 3 sets or so, add in Apples and Pears spelling. Both are really cost effective (esp. for special needs materials) and SUPER easy for mom to use and they WORK.

I was thinking AAS over Barton because we don't need the thoroughness as much as we need the repetition and as you said longer time per step. My logic. . . and am happy to see another perspective. I am still so overwhelmed with all of this that it's hard to know if my logic makes sense :tongue_smilie:

I'd love to hear how you are remediating your son's memory. We are working on it as well but I feel like we are slugging through it. . . I have been reading through the posts here about working memory. . *phew* it's a lot to take in!

I forgot to mention that the neuropsych called my son "visually and phonologically dyslexic" so we definitely need to work heavy on the phonemic awareness! He didn't list that in the report but verbally because ds is considerably more impaired phonologically than visually. However, his SLP is going to be starting LindaMoodBells program with him :thumbup:

I will definitely look into Apples and Pears. I hadn't heard of it :) Thanks!

Before you make a decision, I suggest you talk to the SLP who plans to do LMB program with him. If your son's SLP plans to do LiPS with him, LiPS is a reading program.

I use Barton and some Lindamood Bell products too. Before we could even start Barton, my son needed to do a portion of Lindamood Bell's LiPS.

For what it's worth, I think Barton progresses in a way that helps develop memory, (although it wasn't designed for that.) The dictation starts with dictating words, then phrases using those same words, then sentences using those phrases. My son is able to remember some of the longer sentences now with far less repeating than I used to have to do. The fourth level does have a lot of rules to memorize, but they have some flashcards with visuals clues to help with all those spelling rules. People with dyslexia often have memory problems too. I think Susan Barton took memory problems into account when designing her program.

Anyway, if the SLP is going to do Lindamood Bell programs with your child or even just a portion of them, I would suggest you wait to decide what dyslexia program to use until he's at least started with that.

I like the look of Apples and Pears but my ds also has dysgraphia and wouldn't be able to do that much writing. That is why I am actually considering making my own tiles to go with Recipe for Reading -- or buying tiles from AAS to use with Recipe for reading . . . if anyone has both, I'd love to hear if they think this is possible. I think the REcipe for Reading *could* work for him even the workbook. He may not be able to do all the writing though but I could do it for him. He does OT/HWT and Writing 8 (brain int therapy) and I don't want to overwhelm him. That is why I want tiles so he can word build without writing . .

I am hoping to get a consultation with a VT. I am uncertain about VT because he has neurological damage to the right side of his body which causes some of his visual motor integration/coordination issues. PT/ST hasn't really helped him overcome his other right side body issues (i.e. limp and his mouth droops when he says certain sounds). The SLP is actually surprised that it's taking so long to correct his lateralization. OT has only been going on for 5 months so we have yet to see if it will work or not on his upper right side.

You can make your own letter tiles very easily if you have access to a laminator. Create an excel document and set the cells to 1" by 1" with lines between them. Type in the phonograms you want, print, laminate, and stick on magnets. I've used the magnet tape that comes on the roll.

My ds has dysgraphia too, and he is now able to do A&P. It starts at the very beginning and works up. As Ottakee said, you can do a half-level a day if you need to.

You could certainly let your son type the dictation. The dictation is very very valuable for strengthening working memory and of course getting them to use proper spelling in their written work.

Edited by ondreeuh

I like the look of Apples and Pears but my ds also has dysgraphia and wouldn't be able to do that much writing. That is why I am actually considering making my own tiles to go with Recipe for Reading -- or buying tiles from AAS to use with Recipe for reading . . . if anyone has both, I'd love to hear if they think this is possible. I think the REcipe for Reading *could* work for him even the workbook. He may not be able to do all the writing though but I could do it for him. He does OT/HWT and Writing 8 (brain int therapy) and I don't want to overwhelm him. That is why I want tiles so he can word build without writing . .

I think that is a great idea. Something about moving those tiles around really seems to help kids. You could actually do tiles with either A&P or Recipe for Reading. I have both A&P and Recipe, so maybe I can be of some help. (My ds was trying to do A&P as an afterschool spelling program, but that didn't last long because of the writing requirement).

The I See Sam readers are great, IMHO, and I use them with lots of kids. I like to have spelling instruction lag behind reading. I ordered Recipe for Reading because I had read on here that you can create you own OG program (cheaply) and I wanted to create one based on the I See Sam series (some day, LOL) What I found is that you have a set sequence with RfR and you must create all the teaching aids (words, phrases, sentences on index cards) . It includes instructions on how to make a tachistoscope, which is a more fun way to practice lists of words. I personally like RfR's sequence better than Barton and this may be simply because I work with ps kids and they simply must get to magic e fast just so they have a chance of surviving.

With Recipe, you really must create your own lessons, and that can actually turn out to be a plus. But, if you have never taught an OG program, such as Barton, it may seem intimidating or you may not know how to demonstrate separating sounds in words (Barton calls it finger-spelling). Recipe tells you to instruct the child to tap the sounds.

The rules in Apples and Pears are minimal, so that may be a plus. The program is based on the successful Spelling Mastery program put out by the Direct Instruction folks (Englemann, author of 100EZ Lessons). I have to lag spelling behind reading because if a student has a terrible time remembering sounds, you are dealing with different learning sequences in the reading and spelling programs, KWIM?

HTH. Feel free to ask me any questions about any of the programs you mentioned, as I have used all of them except AAS.

I a hoping to get a consultation with a VT. I am uncertain about VT because he has neurological damage to the right side of his body which causes some of his visual motor integration/coordination issues. PT/ST hasn't really helped him overcome his other right side body issues (i.e. limp and his mouth droops when he says certain sounds). The SLP is actually surprised that it's taking so long to correct his lateralization. OT has only been going on for 5 months so we have yet to see if it will work or not on his upper right side.

HTH,

Shay

Thanks -- I made my own tiles and plan on buying Recipe for Reading! I may add in Apples and Pears for spelling in the future BUT I looked much closer and kind of doubt my ds could even get through 1/2 of a lesson at a time! ANYTHING with writing is a HUGE difficulty for him and the entire program of Apples and Pears seems to be writing based. While his dysgraphia is improving, he feels VERY frustrated when asked to write ANYTHING and our OT has recommended that we ditch anything with writing. Today he cried after having to write one word because he had already finished his OT and was exhausted! I do definitely agree that spelling should lag behind so I feel confident waiting on apples and pears for now!

I did decide that I'd start using click n kids and I am considering starting typing instruction soon. The only thing holding me back is his therapy load is heavy right now and I am not sure we can start something "non essential" right now. Typing will be essential in the future but right now he needs other things more.

I am waiting to hear from our SLP but she was the one that recommended we start an O-G program ASAP even though she's hoping to do Linda MoodBell with him starting this fall!