Menu

Paris Question ~ Seine River Cruises

I'm sure that some here are quite familiar with Paris and am posting in hopes that possibly someone has experience with the Seine River Cruises.

We'll be in Paris for a week next month. Obviously, like most these days, we're on a budget and don't want to spend too much.

Any experience with any Seine River Cruises or with the Batobus (hop-on hop-off boat tour)

* Seine River Cruise at sunset OR Batobus for the entire first day?

Am thinking to do this on our first day to sort of orient ourselves to Paris?

Thank you so much. :)

I've done a few of these. I quite liked the tour that focussed on the history of the bridges, but I can't remember the name. I did the one near Alma Marceau (I think it's the Bateaux Mouche sp?) last summer and found it difficult to hear the narration from inside (and it was raining, so we were inside). Personally I would prefer to do the cruise and stay on rather than hop on hop off as the boat won't necessarily take you all that close to what you would want to see. I think there must be some sort of hop on hop off bus that would do that. If you haven't checked Tripadvisor, that might have good advice. What else are you planning on? What sort of sights? I can go through my info and see if I have anything useful for you (we live just outside Paris).

We did the night cruise, and though I don't usually use flowery phrases, it was magical! :)

I don't think the hop-on hop-off would have been the same experience.

Have a great time! I loved Paris.

:iagree:I've been on both a daytime and night time Seine cruise, and I much preferred the one at night. Magical is how I would describe it as well.

Have a great time!

We did the night time bateau mouche, which was pretty cool. Do you have Rick Steves' Paris book? His walking tours are good - we did a couple when we were there and got to see some of the lesser-known but interesting sights.

Thank you all so much. :)

Personally I would prefer to do the cruise and stay on rather than hop on hop off as the boat won't necessarily take you all that close to what you would want to see. I think there must be some sort of hop on hop off bus that would do that. If you haven't checked Tripadvisor, that might have good advice. What else are you planning on? What sort of sights? I can go through my info and see if I have anything useful for you (we live just outside Paris).

Thanks. Yes, have checked Trip Advisor. We are planning on the major sights, but not overkill if you KWIM ;). Definitely Tour d'Eiffel, Louvre, possibly Versailles, Jardins de Luxembourg, etc - possibly Musee d'Orsay, Rodin Gardens, L'Orangerie - maybe. We're not huge museum fans. Just the major ones. Dd really wants to see some nice flea market type places - Marais or wherever. Would love any info that you could possibly have to share whenever you have a few moments. Thanks so much. :)

We did the night cruise, and though I don't usually use flowery phrases, it was magical! :)

I don't think the hop-on hop-off would have been the same experience.

Have a great time! I loved Paris.

Thanks, Julie. Yes, I think the night/sunset cruise would be nicer.

:iagree:I've been on both a daytime and night time Seine cruise, and I much preferred the one at night. Magical is how I would describe it as well.

Have a great time!

Thank you! Night it is! :D

We did the night time bateau mouche, which was pretty cool. Do you have Rick Steves' Paris book? His walking tours are good - we did a couple when we were there and got to see some of the lesser-known but interesting sights.

Yes, been going through his book like crazy ;). Looking forward to doing some of his walking tours.

We did a dinner cruise on the Seine on our last night. It was one of the highlights of our trip. Beautiful to watch the city of lights light up when the sun goes down. Enjoy your trip!!

Thank you. :)