Menu

From the super crazy files of "I am not making this up!" Dh & I witnessed a doosey.

Dh and I ran to town this evening to gas up the Honda for dd who has a paramedic shift tomorrow and will be up earlier than any of the local gas stations will be open.

We weren't more than a couple miles from home when we drove past a yard where a man was collapsed in the driveway. Dh turned around and went back. He rolled down the window and yelled, but there was no response so he got out and went over to him, no response. He shook him, no response. Breathing was shallow and slow, the man's color was deathly pale and well, a bit greenish/yellowish, etc. He tried pain stimuli. Nothing. Just then a man and woman walked out the front door having apparently noticed we were there. Here is the conversation:

"Oh, don't make no nevermind about him. He's just passed out."

dh: "Ma'am, a person who is unconscious and does not respond to pain stimuli is usually not in good shape. Have you called 911?"

"Na...he just drank too much. We didn't feel like draggin' him inside and decided he'd get up when he's sober."

(Both individuals smelled HEAVILY of alcohol, so me thinks that their judgment was rather, uhmmmm, off!)

Dh: "Would you like me to call 911? I'm worried."

Naa...."He'll get his sorry a** up when he's good and ready,"

dh: "That's kind of hard to do when your unconcious."

"Nope, don't need to call. He's done this before."

dh: "How long as he been out here?"

"A good long while. He ought to come around soon or maybe not. Don't call."

We got in the car and left because we weren't certain whether or not 911 would respond to the call if the people refused transport or treatment for him. So, we called dd (the paramedic student, almost licensed) on the cell phone and asked her about it.

"Mom, it's 85 degrees outside and sunny. He could easily have a heat stroke while laying there because that much alcohol seriously dehydrates a person. If he doesn't respond to pain stimuli, he's probably in danger. If neither of the other individuals are next of kin or at least VERY close relatives, he can be transported because being unconcious is an 'altered mental status'. But, if one of them is his next of kin and refuses transport, the medics are in a grey area. Usually, it means asking to treat in the field. If they'll let us start an I.V., we can begin immediate rehydration, take a medical history, find out if other substances may have been abused, and adminster drugs to counteract those effectss. I would suspect that if he's this far gone in the middle of the day and given that the house you mention has had the police called to it more than once, it's entirely possible that the alcohol is the least of the substances he has abused today. At any rate, the medics would need police back-up in order to force transport because we have to be careful about our own safety. If these people are adamant that he not be treated, even if they aren't next of kin, and they are also obviously drinking, then we'd stand a good chance of being assaulted. It wouldn't be the first time. So under the circumstances, we'd likely call dispatch and ask for an officer and wait for help."

"Go on your way, gas up, and since it will be only 10 minutes until you pass by again, call and let me know if he's still down. If so, I'll run out and talk to them and see if I can get them to listen to some sense. Chances are they'll still refuse and I'll ask dispatch for an ambulance and law enforcement while running for my car. But, whatever you do. Just leave so you don't get hurt. You have no idea what you are dealing with and since I'm not licensed to practice without supervision, all I can do is call, give the details, give them my student badge number so they can call my EMS and confirm my status, and then hope that lends weight to their being willing to send both ambulance and police at the same time. If not, whatever medic/emt unit that responds, will have to deal with it."

We shook our heads, drove into town, gassed up the car, and on our way back, sure enough...he was barely on his feet, staggering around the yard. The other two were sitting on the lawn drinking.

Wow, just wow. I do not get people.

Dh is good friends with our recently retired county sheriff - really neat guy, a little rough around the edges. So, dh called him up and related the incident. His response:

"M, you can't cure stupid. I was in law enforcement for 40 years and I'm telling you. You can't cure stupid. It's terminal. Your kid gave you good advice. That house is a nasty bit of business. Your daughter wasn't kidding when she told you not to mess with them. Sad to say, if he'd laid out there and kicked the bucket, it would not have been on your conscious or your kid's. They've carved out that situation and reputation for themselves. I've been down there before just to tell them to pipe down, but not without my sidearm. I'm glad she's smart and listening to her instructors about this stuff."

It seemed pretty hard hearted, but I can understand how he's become so cynical.

So, in a situation in which I always would have called 911, I didn't. What a crazy world!

Faith

Oh my Aggie, I'll have to relate that one to dd. The worst she's told me thus far was responding to a 911 call in which a woman stated someone had collapsed at a Burger King.

Her ALS rig went flying over there figuring they were dealing with a choking victim or cardio/stroke. Nope, the woman called because she wanted someone in a uniform to come tell off the Burger King manager because she had to wait so long for her hamburger! Oh, yeah, dd said since she was the student it was all she could do to "hold it in". But, her medic instructor and EMT did not. They let the woman have it and then called the police. Apparently there is some law in that city about fraudulent or frivolous 911 calls, and the woman was arrested.

So let's see....EMS is spposed to be in the business of housing and hamburgers.....:confused: I was rather naive about the crazy business of first responders and ER's before dd went into this profession. My eyes have been opened very wide.

Lots of people not thinkin' out there!

Faith