Menu

How do I stop this?

Ds 6.5 has autism plus tourettes (and other issues) Recently he started shaking his head so hard it makes his teeth chatter. I am going to try to explain this, its like he is shaking his head yes, but HARD towards the front and then in back. When he goes towards the front its with such force his teeth involuntarily chatter. This scares me, could this cause problems with his head? How do you stop somebody who has these tics so much it would be like I had to constantly follow him around holding his head to make him stop :confused:

There are some things you can do with diet changes to get the tourettes down. You might want to research it, if you haven't done anything in that vein yet.

We are slowly starting the Feingold diet. We are also going to start ordering food from Azure Standard. Its more a process for dh to get used to that :glare: :001_huh:

Does the doctor know? I really don't have any answers....just sympathy. Maybe a neck collar ...like those for whiplash can hold his head...at least enough so he doesn't hurt himself? Just a thought.

:grouphug:

Faithe

I have not talked to them. We live in a VERY rural area, and we have.... well.... lets just say less than acceptable doctors in town. Everybody I know chooses to drive between 1 1/2-3 hours one way for their regular primary care doctors if that tells you anything :001_huh:. I need to find a good ped. I don't know if we have any closer than Denver though and thats about an 8 hour drive. I know 1 person with a SN kiddo and thats where they go.

I also wonder about the neck collar, and perhaps some mouth guards from the local sporting good store?

:grouphug:

Would the neck guard be available at just a medical supply store or would we have to go through the dr? I will look at getting a mouth guard next time we go out of town for groceries (again, an hour and a half drive one way :001_huh:)

Edited by wy_kid_wrangler04

Unfortunately, ds's tics were so bad that we decided to go the medication route. The medicines he takes for tics do double duty for mood regulation and anxiety. I do not like medicating, and we are easing into the Feingold diet, but when the tics started disturbing him so much that it was making him cry every night, we decided it was what he needed.