Menu

Algebra based physics, what secular options?

I'm planning ahead. :D I'm planning on an integrated science course with physics spread out over three years. He'll have algebra done by the time we start.

I have Conceptual Physics, but I'd like to explore algebra based programs.

Giancoli? Can I use an older edition? What teacher supports are available?

Kinetic books? I've not looked at them. Is it online? Can you buy a printed text?

What other options exist?

I am using College Physics by Knight, Jones and Fields.

I heard good things about the Giancoli text (I only know his calc based one).

For all these, you can absolutely use older editions because the physics that is being covered is 100+ years old and the changes between editions mainly cosmetic.

For Knight Jones Fields, I highly recommend getting the workbook as well, and would suggest the newest, 2nd edition for the WB as there have been changes.

We're planning on using CPO's Physics: A First Course next year. It's Algebra-based.

I didn't realize they had high school level, I'll check those out.

I am using College Physics by Knight, Jones and Fields.

I heard good things about the Giancoli text (I only know his calc based one).

For all these, you can absolutely use older editions because the physics that is being covered is 100+ years old and the changes between editions mainly cosmetic.

For Knight Jones Fields, I highly recommend getting the workbook as well, and would suggest the newest, 2nd edition for the WB as there have been changes.

Thank you. I knew you used a different text, but I was having trouble with the search today.

Thank you, both.

I didn't realize they had high school level, I'll check those out.

CPO (Cambridge Physics Outlet) started out with just high school physics texts, and actually still all they offer at the high school level is varying levels and configurations of physics and physical science texts.

DD 14 is doing Giancoli this year and will be continuing with it through 11th grade (1/3 of the text per year). I must admit that I don't do it with her, DH does, but DD is enjoying it and learning lots. I worried it would be too much for her this year (maybe because it would be too much for me ;)), but she's doing just fine.

CPO (Cambridge Physics Outlet) started out with just high school physics texts, and actually still all they offer at the high school level is varying levels and configurations of physics and physical science texts.

I've been poking around at their site, thanks again!

Saxon Physics is secular and heavy on algebra based math.

:iagree: This is what we are using this year.

I'll look into that one as well. I had forgotten they had a physics text.

DD 14 is doing Giancoli this year and will be continuing with it through 11th grade (1/3 of the text per year). I must admit that I don't do it with her, DH does, but DD is enjoying it and learning lots. I worried it would be too much for her this year (maybe because it would be too much for me ;)), but she's doing just fine.

We're planning a similar course, 1/3 of the text per year. Will she be completing the entire text or just portions?

I like the look of Kinetic Books Physics. The middle course (Principles of Physics) is an algebra based AP level.

After three years of using Apologia Physics at our co-op, I switched to KineticBooks' Principles of Physics this year. It is both broader and deeper than Apologia. A friend who is a Chemistry major at one of the local colleges used the same text this year. It will indeed prepare a student to take the calculations portion of the AP test, but you would need to add lab work, both for the lab credit and to prepare the student to answer the lab-based questions on the AP exam.

KineticBooks' Conceptual Physics is inappropriately named, IMO. The math is well beyond what I'd expect in a "conceptual" course.

You can purchase hard copies of the text, but they really aren't necessary. We purchased a class set for the co-op, and when I collected them last week, it was obvious that only a couple of them had even been cracked open all year. The text really is meant to be used digitally.

HTH

We're planning a similar course, 1/3 of the text per year. Will she be completing the entire text or just portions?

It's nice to hear of somone planning on doing a similar thing. It makes me feel that I'm not completely crazy. :)

My plan is for DD to do the whole text. She is currently on track to do that, but we'll have to see whether that continues. If she doesn't finish I don't think it's a big deal. Ginacoli covers considerably more than a standard high school physics course and DD isn't planning on going into a science related field.

We are doing Giancoli, hopefully on a AP-B level. It seems to be well-supported on-line via various high school curricula. We are using an older edition. Cheap.....make sure you get the supporting materials like study guides and solutions manuals and instructor's resource manuals. This makes it easy to schedule everything out and concoct assignments. With older editions, these materials get cheaper too.

My dd likes using the Khan Academy videos if she gets stuck on math and physics. There are many for physics so, she thinks she'll be able to manage. She is a Sr. next year though so, she can manage her learning fairly well at this point.

We also got a Schaums book called "3000 Physics Problems solved" and another book about how to do physics problems and a "physics activity book" to generate the labs. These are mainly security blankets but, they look like they might come in handy.

I didn't like Hewitt's Conceptual Physics at all.

I do like Giancoli's Physics. I used the algebra-based text with two students this year to prepare them for the AP Physics B test. Make sure you get the instructor solution manual.

I did find a few misprints in the answer keys at the back of the book, but between me and my two students we had three copies of the text and they didn't all have the same misprints. My text also had a caption mislabeled and that error wasn't in the other books.

There were some errors in the ISM as well, but it was generally pretty obvious that the problem had changed because the solution would be worked just the way it should be, but completely different values would be used for wavelength or frequency or whatever that problem gave.