Menu

Reading

It won't get better. Aliens are living in their bodies and fooling you. It's the Stepford children. They go along saying all the right things but they're really...

Ha!

it amazes me that she at the age of 5 can add and subtract but learning to sound out a word and make the word out....not so much.

She is her father. Im thinking of giving him the task to teach her to read. :) Then when he get's frustrated he can whip out multiplication flashcards and all will be right in their world.

Are you trying to blend CVC words? I'm at the same place with my dd4. It helps if I cover up the first letter of the word and have her sound out the last two letters first and blend them together, and then add the first letter sound. I do this if she gets stuck or starts trying to guess the word based on the first letter.

This is a battle that is won slowly, in five or ten minute increments (and really, five or ten minutes of patience at a time is all I have :D).

I've been there. To give you hope, my son is really starting to read well at 6.5 after more than a year of frustration (mostly on my part).

There may be an issue as a previous poster suggested. However, it most likely will be a simple formula of time plus patience plus persistence (practicing gently every day--or nearly every day) to get her there.

Good luck!

What are you using to teach reading and how old is your DC?

I shelved 100 EZ. I didn't like it. I am now starting with

http://www.progressivephonics.com/ . DD is 5, will be 6 in Nov.

Are you trying to blend CVC words? I'm at the same place with my dd4. It helps if I cover up the first letter of the word and have her sound out the last two letters first and blend them together, and then add the first letter sound. I do this if she gets stuck or starts trying to guess the word based on the first letter.

This is a battle that is won slowly, in five or ten minute increments (and really, five or ten minutes of patience at a time is all I have :D).

She will sound out h-a-d, h-ad but has a hard time putting it together to make a word. So when she is reading it she will just sound it out 2-3 times and will declare the word "had" as "h-ad" instead of "had". Some words she gets right away tho. I know it will come eventually. :)

I've been there. To give you hope, my son is really starting to read well at 6.5 after more than a year of frustration (mostly on my part).

There may be an issue as a previous poster suggested. However, it most likely will be a simple formula of time plus patience plus persistence (practicing gently every day--or nearly every day) to get her there.

Good luck!

TY! :)

Maybe she just isn't ready? Five is very young. You could just stop and try again in six months or a year. Maybe just for a bit of perspective you might want to check out "Better Late Than Early" by the Moores (not saying you'd wait that long but maybe it would make you feel more comfortable with waiting a little while longer). To me, it's not really worth the stress or frustration for parent OR child at such a young age, to force something that they aren't interested in/enjoying/isn't going well etc.

Maybe she just isn't ready? Five is very young. You could just stop and try again in six months or a year. Maybe just for a bit of perspective you might want to check out "Better Late Than Early" by the Moores (not saying you'd wait that long but maybe it would make you feel more comfortable with waiting a little while longer). To me, it's not really worth the stress or frustration for parent OR child at such a young age, to force something that they aren't interested in/enjoying/isn't going well etc.

I would definitly stop. BUT she asks everyday to do her books and her flashcards.

So what I have decided to do is just read with her. Drop the flashcards and as I am reading I will ask her if she sees any words on the page that she reconizes or wants to sound out. If she does great if she doesn't I will just read.

I would definitly stop. BUT she asks everyday to do her books and her flashcards.

So what I have decided to do is just read with her. Drop the flashcards and as I am reading I will ask her if she sees any words on the page that she reconizes or wants to sound out. If she does great if she doesn't I will just read.

Take turns. She does a word, you sound a out a word (modeling), she goes, you go, etc.

We had MAJOR tears with 5 out of 6 of the first kids to learn (I didn't teach the 6th). PR has been the only program that hasn't brought tears in learning to read and it fixed a bunch of problems w/ 5&6.

Hang in there!

Have you tried teaching her to blend the first two letters instead of the last two? Abeka teaches reading this way, and it has worked really well for us. We actually spent a lot of time singing through letter blends (with short vowel sounds): ha, he, hi, ho, hu

Once the child understands that the two letters blend together to make a certain sound, adding the third letter is really easy.