Menu

Mystery of History users - American History question

cjgrubbs

We have used Mystery of History 1 this year and are going to use MOH2 next year. We love the format with the timeline and activities and how the Bible and God's hand are woven into everything. I have been nothing but THRILLED with this curriculum. I have already purchased MOH2 and planned out our year with the library books available and adding in some additional geography studies (loosely borrowed from MFW ECC) of each continent to give us a full 34 week schedule as MOH 2 is only 28 weeks.

However, it has just been brought to my attention, via the MOH yahoo groups, that MOH 3 and 4 do not/will not sufficiently cover American History. This really puts a kink into my my plan. Next year I will have a 6th, 3rd and K (all boys) I was hoping to get the oldest through history finishing up in 8th and then repeating the cycle for HighSchool.

What do I do? If we use MOH3 when oldest in 7th and then MOH4 (assuming it is finished) when he's in 8th then he won't have adequate history. I also just previewed the sample lessons of MOH3 and worry that they will be too in depth for the youngers (who at that time will be 4th and 1st grade). Do I stop and do a different American History study after we finish volume 2? Can I do MOH3 and supplement with another American History. Do I do American History but have oldest read MOH3 to supplement so he will know what is going on in the rest of the world at the same time?

What other American history curriculums are good - conversations and God focused like MOH?

We just finished up MOH3 with an 8th & 4th grader. My 8th grader used All American History in conjunction with MOH3. It just didn't cover very far. I don't know the time period MOH4 will cover, though. I am really looking forward to it when my 4th grader will get to use it. We will be getting off track next year from the history cycle and will be using a combination of Sonlight, Notgrass and several other American History books for my soon to be 9th grader.

That said, MOH3 is very in depth and I didn't have my 4th grader do much of the extras. I honestly don't think a 1st grader would be able to sit through some of the lessons.

so mereminerals - you think do American history and let then 7th grader read MOH3 to keep up with what else is going on in the world?

Are there any American History curriculums like MOH that offer optional activities, quizes, timeline suggestions, etc.?

You might want to look at Notgrass America the Beautiful. It is for grades 5-8 and has a timeline and map book to go along with it.

What is drawing me to this new addition to their line up is the way it is set up. Each week there are 5 readings. Day 1 is an Event, Day 2 is a National Landmark, Day 3 is a Natural Wonder, Day 4 is a Biography and Day 5 is Daily Life. There is a literature component included using 10 living books.

I didn't see any hands-on activities with it but those are not hard to incorporate with so many ideas floating around just about everywhere.

so mereminerals - you think do American history and let then 7th grader read MOH3 to keep up with what else is going on in the world?

Are there any American History curriculums like MOH that offer optional activities, quizes, timeline suggestions, etc.?

Sorry, I haven't replied before now. I'm not aware of an American History program that is like MOH. I have a timetable that combines AAH vol 1 and MOH 3, if you are interested. The only thing is you don't finish AAH as MOH doesn't go as far as AAH. We are going to be doing a separate year of American History and then picking back up with MOH the following year. I also agree with looking at Notgrass middle school American History program. I will be joining that one with AAH for my daughter going into 5th next year.

Sorry, I haven't replied before now. I'm not aware of an American History program that is like MOH. I have a timetable that combines AAH vol 1 and MOH 3, if you are interested. The only thing is you don't finish AAH as MOH doesn't go as far as AAH. We are going to be doing a separate year of American History and then picking back up with MOH the following year. I also agree with looking at Notgrass middle school American History program. I will be joining that one with AAH for my daughter going into 5th next year.

I'd love that schedule for MOH3 and AAH. I have both and was just getting ready to sift through it all. You'll save me the time!

I too would love that schedule. :)

We're not at the HS level, yet. However, my plan is to incorporate SL Core 100 - American History in Depth, into the MOH-3 & MOH-4 (which should be out by then)

We're starting the MOH cycle again next year and I'm planning to incorporate SL core packages as we go.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
You might want to look at Notgrass America the Beautiful. It is for grades 5-8 and has a timeline and map book to go along with it.

What is drawing me to this new addition to their line up is the way it is set up. Each week there are 5 readings. Day 1 is an Event, Day 2 is a National Landmark, Day 3 is a Natural Wonder, Day 4 is a Biography and Day 5 is Daily Life. There is a literature component included using 10 living books.

I didn't see any hands-on activities with it but those are not hard to incorporate with so many ideas floating around just about everywhere.

This is what I am doing. I also plan to get MOH 3 on audio.

we listened to MOH 2 while using MFW RTR and it was a nice review. While studying american history some foreign history is mentioned so MOH 3 would fill in those blanks.

America the Beautiful: There are hands on activities for each chapter--I am so excited about this. They have them plan a big band party (think uso), do a video project and make a long house.

I was planning on a 4yr cycle of MOH but thought it would cover US History. My guess is that level 4 will but it has not yet been offered.

I just recieved Queen's A Living History of Our World. It is pretty simplistic and levels 1, 2 and 3 are all US History. There is an optional notebook with narration pages, a few activities (limited) and timeline suggestions. There are samples on the website and facebook (facebook samples are more detailed).

Just an FYI but according to the MOH website, volume four won't be ready for several years. I don't know if that's up to date or not, but I was bummed as that was the first site I visited when looking for history curriculum. I used volume 1 with my daughter many years ago (7 or 8) and was really surprised that vol 4 was still not out.

It might be worth contacting them before making plans to use vol 4 in the near future.

We're not at the HS level, yet. However, my plan is to incorporate SL Core 100 - American History in Depth, into the MOH-3 & MOH-4 (which should be out by then)

We're starting the MOH cycle again next year and I'm planning to incorporate SL core packages as we go.

:iagree:

I think this is the best way to increase the depth forthe older student. Don't forget to look at WP, BF, and VP too for options.

I enriched our SOTW/HO Modern study this year with History of Us.

• 2 weeks later...
I was planning on a 4yr cycle of MOH but thought it would cover US History. My guess is that level 4 will but it has not yet been offered.

My understanding is that Volume 4 will continue on as World History. Bright Idea Press (who published MOH) offers All American History and they are using a 6 year cycle in their Illuminations program which will utilize MOH and AAH.

Edited by cjgrubbs
didn't quote correctly