Menu

Quiet time for kid you don't want to nap

My oldest does quiet time wonderfully-she has had more training.

I'm at a loss at to what to do with my youngest. If I put her in her room, she will take a nap. When she gets up from nap, she is cranky and whining and then she does not fall asleep until really late that night. The next morning she is tired and cranky and we are now stuck in a vicious cycle. Naps are not a good thing for her right now.

My oldest will quietly read or listen to books on tape while coloring. I try that with my youngest and she is constantly bothering my oldest or myself.

How do I maintain quiet time without putting her in her room?

:bigear: My ds is getting near the time to give up naps. We were doing quiet time a little before nap time and he would get bored with no one to play with. He would end up taking his nap early which meant he did not sleep as long and dd did not have enough time to finish school before he woke up.

My older DS went through a phase where he was an absolute nightmare if he napped, but we both still needed his quiet time. So I switched him to the couch and/or kitchen island. Then my puttering around kept him awake, and if he looked like he was dozing off on the couch, I'd ask him if his book was good or put a drink on the side table.

Put her in a playroom without a bed? Or put spiky things on her bed? Okay, that second one was a joke.

It seems like a kid who falls asleep *that* easily might actually need a nap. But what do I know... my kids didn't *ever* nap.