Menu

Can anyone compare Spelling Power and AAS for me?

mompotter

I am wondering if anyone could do a comparison for me with these two spelling programs. Anyone familiar with both?

I have been using AAS and I am having a hard time getting to it with all three of my kids. It is always the first thing dropped. Is spelling power just as teacher intensive? I was thinking of switching after speaking with a friend that loves spelling power but I don't want it to be a "grass is greener" type of decision.

Any help would be appreciated.

There is *no* comparison. Spelling Power says it teaches rules, but it really does not. It mostly relies on straight memorization. AAS teaches the rules explicitly and has a wonderful system for personalized systematic review.

So it depends on your kids. Are they the type that can remember the spelling of a word on one or two exposures? If so, Spelling Power will probably work for you. On the other hand, if they need more instruction, then AAS is by far the better program.

BTW, I have used both extensively.

I switched my older 2 girls to phonetic zoo because the rules are extremely similar & they can do it independently (for the most part). I just couldn't teach 4 AAS lessons each day. It's impossible. I think that the child should be through at least level 3 of AAS b/4 switching to Phonetic Zoo level A. My older dd was about halfway through AAS level 6 and she switched to PZ level B. Is doing fine with it. second dd finished level 3 of AAS and went to PZ level A. Keeping up with the lesson is forcing her to think about the rules AND be diligent in paying attention. It's a good fit. I don't know how far I will take the younger 2 thru AAS, but I have all 6 levels so far, so they might go all the way. teaching 2 lessons is much more manageable than 4!

There is *no* comparison. Spelling Power says it teaches rules, but it really does not. It mostly relies on straight memorization. AAS teaches the rules explicitly and has a wonderful system for personalized systematic review.

So it depends on your kids. Are they the type that can remember the spelling of a word on one or two exposures? If so, Spelling Power will probably work for you. On the other hand, if they need more instruction, then AAS is by far the better program.

BTW, I have used both extensively.

Thank you for your input.

It doesn't seem like they are really memorizing the rules anyway. With the way that our language seems to break the rules as fast as they learn new words I have to wonder how important it is to memorize them all anyway.

On the other hand, I am a horrible speller (have always worked hard at it and just couldn't seem to learn) so who am I to judge whether or not they should memorize rules. :)

I switched my older 2 girls to phonetic zoo because the rules are extremely similar & they can do it independently (for the most part). I just couldn't teach 4 AAS lessons each day. It's impossible. I think that the child should be through at least level 3 of AAS b/4 switching to Phonetic Zoo level A. My older dd was about halfway through AAS level 6 and she switched to PZ level B. Is doing fine with it. second dd finished level 3 of AAS and went to PZ level A. Keeping up with the lesson is forcing her to think about the rules AND be diligent in paying attention. It's a good fit. I don't know how far I will take the younger 2 thru AAS, but I have all 6 levels so far, so they might go all the way. teaching 2 lessons is much more manageable than 4!

I am adding in the fourth child next year and anything I can do to simplify is really appealing to me. AAS just is so time consuming and I get tired of trying to fit each child in every day. It just isn't getting done.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will look at that one too.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

My oldest is a "natural speller" and has done well with Spelling Power. My DS is bright but needs explicit instruction in the rules. He's doing well with AAS so far (he's in level 2).

A program that I've not personally used but have heard is like a workbook version of AAS is EPS' How to Teach Spelling.

I have not use AAS, but I have used Spelling Power.

What I can tell you is that some kids do better with pattern-based programs and other kids do better with rule-based programs.

rule-based programs:

All About Spelling

Phonetic Zoo

Spelling Workout

Spell to Write and Read

Megawords

pattern-based programs:

Sequential Spelling

Spelling Power

Spelling through Morphographs

There are more of both types of program and there are also programs that are more thematic than anything else.

All of my kids hated SWO with a passion. I never could figure out SWR. Megawords was fabulous for my rule-bound Aspie, but awful for my ADHD Aspie.

Sequential Spelling book 1 was great for my dyslexic dd, but book 2 did nothing for her. Spelling Power was great for my ADHD Aspie (learned better with patterns than with rules) and is also working for my dyslexic dd now (but it wouldn't have worked for her before Sequential Spelling). Spelling through Morphographs is a solid pattern-based spelling program, but my dyslexic dd was already past it when I first tried it with her.

What I can tell you is that some kids do better with pattern-based programs and other kids do better with rule-based programs.

rule-based programs:

All About Spelling

Phonetic Zoo

Spelling Workout

Spell to Write and Read

Megawords

pattern-based programs:

Sequential Spelling

Spelling Power

There are more of both types of program and there are also programs that are more thematic than anything else.

All of my kids hated SWO with a passion. I never could figure out SWR. Megawords was fabulous for my rule-bound Aspie, but awful for my ADHD Aspie.

Sequential Spelling book 1 was great for my dyslexic dd, but book 2 did nothing for her. Spelling Power was great for my ADHD Aspie (learned better with patterns than with rules) and is also working for my dyslexic dd now (but it wouldn't have worked for her before Sequential Spelling). Spelling through Morphographs is a solid pattern-based spelling program, but my dyslexic dd was already past it when I first tried it with her.

Thank you so much for this incredibly helpful list!

(Now I just have to figure out how to tag so I can find this thread later....)

rule-based programs:

All About Spelling

Phonetic Zoo

Spelling Workout

Spell to Write and Read

Megawords

pattern-based programs:

Sequential Spelling

Spelling Power

Thank you for this information. It was really helpful. My girls did horrible with sequential spelling so I am thinking maybe I just need to keep going.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

My oldest is a "natural speller" and has done well with Spelling Power. My DS is bright but needs explicit instruction in the rules. He's doing well with AAS so far (he's in level 2).

A program that I've not personally used but have heard is like a workbook version of AAS is EPS' How to Teach Spelling.

This sounds good and much less expensive. I will look into it more. I wonder if I would need to start back at the level 1 just to review.

Just found it on Rainbow Resources. They say part of the good thing about this program is you can start it at grade level because it reviews everything. Sounds like it may be a good answer.

Edited by mompotter

Guest Tuan

rule-based programs:

All About Spelling

Phonetic Zoo

Spelling Workout

Spell to Write and Read

Megawords

pattern-based programs:

Sequential Spelling

Spelling Power

Sorry for a newbie question, but could someone tell me what is meant by the terms "rule-based program" and "pattern-based program"? And could you provide a couple of example rules and a couple of example patterns? Are there different theories behind these two approaches?

Thanks.

:bigear: I'm listening in because I have one in AAS this year, and plan to add the twins in for spelling next year for Kindergarten. I also have Spelling Power sitting on the shelf, since I used it for tutoring a few years ago.

Here is something to consider: Can you use Spelling Power with younger children? The author of the program recommends starting SP with students ages eight and up, so about third grade.

With my oldest (only 1st grade this year ;)) I used Evan Moor Skill Builders Spelling K when she was in Pre-K (4 years old). Very simple, but it introduced the concept of spelling through C-V-C word families.

For Kindergarten, I created my own simple spelling lists based on word families, with 8-10 words per list. My daughter copied the words (Day 1), studied the words (Day 2), wrote the words on a marker board (Day 3), then had a test (Day 4). In the whole year, she only misspelled one word on the test and beautifully transferred her new words into her own writing.

For First Grade this year, we're using AAS 2 with only one student. I like it and hate it. :glare: It covers the rules nicely, my student enjoys using it, she is certainly learning and retaining... it's just so clunky, or something. Or exhausting for the parent, KWIM? I can't imagine trying to use it for three or more students.

My plan is to get my natural speller through Levels 2 and 3 this year and next (2nd grade), while my two littles do EM for Pre-K and our homemade program for Kindergarten. Then, by the time the twins are in 1st grade and (possibly) doing AAS 1 & 2, my oldest (3rd grade) will be able to handle Spelling Power or Natural Speller or another simpler program.

FWIW, even now I don't think she needs AAS, exactly. But I do agree with the poster who stated that SP's claims to teach the rules are overblown. SP does work with some students, but the teacher has to work harder to figure out the rules and make them explicit to the student. I think AAS does a MUCH better job with that aspect of teaching spelling.

If you can get some of your older students weaned off the tiles, and just do AAS as a pencil-and-paper program, with the cards, it might not be so cumbersome and "juggly." OTOH, if you use a simple workbook approach for your youngest for a year, that might make life a bit easier. :D HTH.

Sorry for a newbie question, but could someone tell me what is meant by the terms "rule-based program" and "pattern-based program"? And could you provide a couple of example rules and a couple of example patterns? Are there different theories behind these two approaches?

Thanks.

An example of rule based would be; "If the C is followed by an e, i, or y, it says /s/."

An example of patterns would be a word list with all the same endings.

My youngest is dyslexic and also has a lot of difficulty with applying rules. When she learns rules, she tends to mix up the beginnings and endings.

For instance, to add or subtract fractions, you have to bring them to a common denominator and then add or subtract across the top, but to multiply fractions you just multiply straight across the top and straight across the bottom. My dd will remember both rules, but then swap them. So when she's multiplying fractions, she'll bring them to a common denominator and then multiply across the top and when she's adding fractions, she'll just add right across the top and across the bottom. She won't do either of these consistently. Sometimes she'll attach the correct rule ending to the rule beginning and other times she won't. It's about 50-50. When we are working hard and heavy on those rules, she'll get them right consistently, but if we stop doing anything (and one or two problems/day is not enough) for more than one or two weeks, she'll start swapping rule parts again.

She doesn't seem to have the same issue with patterns that she does with rules. I'm not sure why. It really needs to be something that she can figure out for herself rather than a rote memory thing that I tell her.

With something like spelling, my dd can look at the words in a single list for Spelling Power and sort them by spelling. She'll see that the "ai" spelling never occurs at the end of a word, but "ay" does. That's a pattern that she can see rather than a rule that has to be memorized. If it's something that she can deduce for herself, she is much better at remembering it correctly.

Thank you for your input.

It doesn't seem like they are really memorizing the rules anyway. With the way that our language seems to break the rules as fast as they learn new words I have to wonder how important it is to memorize them all anyway.

On the other hand, I am a horrible speller (have always worked hard at it and just couldn't seem to learn) so who am I to judge whether or not they should memorize rules. :) .

Do all of your kids *need* AAS? A lot of parents in your shoes only use it with their kids who really struggle, and use something more independent with their kids who don't struggle so much. I only have 2, but both of mine struggle a lot--I ended up looking for ways to make other subjects more independent so that I could focus my time on spelling without getting burnt out. But each family has different priorities and things they need to focus on.

About the rules--AAS only presents rules for things that hold true about 97% of the time, so there are not a lot of rule-breakers for AAS rules. But know that it is also teaching other strategies, because rules are only one spelling strategy, and sometimes there are not rules that apply (such as why to spell "street" with EE instead of EA or another long-E spelling). Here's an overview of the 4 main spelling strategies that good spellers tend to use, and that are taught in AAS.

If they aren't memorizing the rules, that's what the review cards are for--you can bring those back into review as part of your lesson each day and customize to what your kids need. But if the struggle is application in writing outside of spelling--sometimes that's an editing issue as well as a memorization issue. If that's a struggle, here are some ideas you might be able to use whether or not you continue with AAS.

HTH some, and I hope you find some good solutions! Merry :-)

• 1 month later...

Thank you for listing this out! As I'm considering having both programs on hand for all my children - sequential spelling and AAS

I like the idea of working through the rule box of AAS for my daughter as needed but focusing on SS book/DVD to give more independent work and chance to work ahead as she loves spelling and is ahead in it/good at it.

I also see my son neeeeding AAS when he is ready.

AND like the idea of having both approaches onhand/re-usable for the other children in our future that we wish to adopt.

rule-based programs:

All About Spelling

Phonetic Zoo

Spelling Workout

Spell to Write and Read

Megawords

pattern-based programs:

Sequential Spelling

Spelling Power