Menu

Piano Books

mom31257

Can anyone recommend a good piano lesson series? My ds knows a little about reading music, but I'd like to do more with him. I meant to do more with him this year, but I really need some books for him to go through. I took piano for a few years before quitting to join the band and played flute for several years. We have a 5-octave keyboard with a damper pedal.

He's going into 3rd grade and is a good reader. If he liked it, we would have to put him in lessons at some point, but I have no idea who we would use or what books that teacher would want.

Thanks for any suggestions!

My son takes private lessons and his teacher started him out with the Little Mozarts book. It set a great foundation. He has now moved onto the Faber Piano Adventures series. I like that each lesson book is paired with a theory book. That way he knows why he is playing what in a certain piece. He enjoys the music in the lesson book. They aren't popular songs, but ones that have some very interesting musical beats.

I would recommend Faber's Piano Adventures. I think it would be easiest to follow for someone looking to self teach. I personally like to use other curriculum, but they are not as intuitive, and assume a certain amount of knowledge on part of the teacher.

I teach piano and I start out with the Music For Little Mozarts Series (CDs and flashcards also) and move on to either Piano Adventures (Faber) or Premier Piano Series (Alfred's).....depending on the child's learning type. Both series are excellent IMO.

Enjoy.

We love Hal Leonard Student Piano Course and Alfred Premier Piano Course. I had posed this same question to a phD in piano performance friend of mine who teaches at a university and she said that during grad school she had to research every method thoroughly and submit a paper on each. Her result was Hal Leonard to be superior to all.