Menu

transition lenses

My son has them. I don't think he will get them in his new glasses. While in the car, they do not darken. As soon as he gets out of the car, they turn dark. When he gets in a building (no matter ho dim) it takes forever for them to go back to normal. Camera flashes also darken them, so he has to wear his old glasses (that it is harder to see through) when getting pictures made. We thought they were great in theory, just not in real life.

I have the Transition brand of lenses and they perform as advertised. Like the above poster stated, they don't darken in the car due to the windshield's uv coating. I don't find the need to wear sunglasses when I drive, though.

When I get out, they do darken quickly, but they also transition back in just a few minutes inside. I have pretty sensitive eyes and I appreciate having the lenses.

My dh has another brand of lenses and they're not working well for him. They take longer to transition and don't darken nearly as well as mine. When I go out, mine darken in seconds. His take a few minutes to darken- and even then aren't nearly dark enough. And when he comes back inside, they take forever to return to normal. After a year, I notice he's starting to wear his uncoated glasses more and leaving the others home.

My son has them. I don't think he will get them in his new glasses. While in the car, they do not darken. As soon as he gets out of the car, they turn dark. When he gets in a building (no matter ho dim) it takes forever for them to go back to normal. Camera flashes also darken them, so he has to wear his old glasses (that it is harder to see through) when getting pictures made. We thought they were great in theory, just not in real life.

This is what I'm afraid of. Last time I got glasses I started to get them and said no... better not. I ordered a set of $8 frames and put tented lenses in them. But then I have to switch glasses whenever I go into a building or don't need the tented lenses anymore. So I have to carry both pairs with me.

yahhhh..... decisions, decisions....

I love my Transition glasses. They tell you in the advertising, as did the optician too, that they don't darken in cars. I forgot the explanation but I never find it to be a problem driving with them. It takes about 30 seconds when I go in a building for them to go back to normal. Not sure why the other poster's son has issues with camera flashes. None of the pictures of me or my son (who has them too) show darkened lenses unless we are outside. Note that we both have the Transition brand and not any of the knock offs that claim to do the same.

I've had them for several years and really like them. The technology has greatly improved. I remember my mother having them in the 80s and they took forever to darken or lighten. Mine aren't an issue unless I'm going from bright sunlight to a very dimly-lit room.