Menu

Help! Anyone preparing students for science and engineering careers?

Hi, my son is almost 10 and has one of those very typical, recognizable "engineering personalities." He has wanted to be an astronaut since he was tiny, but I sincerely doubt he will pass the vision requirement (he is nearsighted and partially colorblind). I am in the beginning stages of trying to get this stubborn child to realize that there are other careers in the world.:)

Soooo, I've been starting to research careers and educational requirements on the internet, and I feel very swamped. I am really feeling the weight of preparing a boy for a science/engineering career. Of course, this is all so remote-sounding to him now--aerospace engineer doesn't sound nearly as exciting as astronaut, for example.

Is anyone on this path or recently completed it? I know enough to know that I need to cram as much math and science into high school as possible. Any other suggestions? I'm drowning . . . :confused:

My son is a sophomore in high school and is going to be an Aeronautic Engineer. The suggestions from colleges are

Go through Pre-Calculus for math

Go through Physics for science

Another pre-req is computer science- using basic programs, but even programming and design softward as well

We're headed for pharmacy school (she said with crossed fingers). When I contacted the local pharmacy schools, they said math through Calculus if at all possible and 5-6 science courses (Bio, Adv. Bio, Chem, Adv. Chem, Physics and possibly Adv. Physics). I'm not sure we'll make it through Calculus but we'll have done all but Adv. Physics for science.

Rachel, I have another question. How did your son choose aeronautical engineering? How did you explain to him what that field entailed?

I'm struggling with how to explain other exciting career options in the space field if DS can't actually be an astronaut. Of course, he is only 9 1/2, but he needs to start dropping the tunnel vision of "astronaut or bust" because of his vision issues. I need creative ideas in how to get him to start looking at different technical fields. I have found some neat career videos on the net, but they are geared to high-school age and DS would find them boring (so I don't want to show them yet--I don't want him to think engineering=boring).

Any ideas?

If you don't already have some good books, like the Kingfisher Science Encyclopedia, just hanging around the house for him to find, I would either buy or borrow some from the library on a regular basis.

We subscribed about a year ago to the "Science News" magazine:

http://www.sciencenews.org/

It costs $50 for a year-long subscription. I can't tell you how many times I have heard about articles in the magazine including a recent visit to the Smithsonian, where I was informed that the exhibit was not up-to-date because there were newer generation unmanned surveillance vehicles which had been described in the Science News magazine.

We subscribed to Popular Science, but I cancelled that subscription for now, because of the ads in it. There were too many offensive ones for you-know-what types of stuff, and he had been poring over the Boy's Life ads (which are tamer.) But the Science News ads have been fine. (We are borrowing the "Handbook of Chemistry and Physics" from the library right now as a result of one of those ads; it is a 6 inch tome. {grin}

Pat

While math and science are indeed important for engineering students, I would like to comment that the course that presented the greatest problem for many of my future engineers when I was teaching mathematics at NCSU was writing. Many otherwise A and B students, stumbled in their introductory English classes which prove to be as important in their careers as their math. (My husband is a computer systems engineer who gets completely frustrated by peers who do not document procedures properly!)

There are some terrific extracurriculars for engineering oriented students: robotics programs like FIRST (FLL up to age 14) or the MATE ROV competitions. These hands on programs teach problem solving in ways that text books never can. Blue Hen's engineering oriented son has won medals at national Science Olympiad competitions.

Invest in Conceptual Physics for your future engineer to begin reading in middle school. It goes without saying: assign the hardest math problems in a challenging mathematics curriculum.

Some of my supposed future engineers at NCSU learned that they were not really engineers at heart. They liked to tinker with stuff, but the theoretical aspects of science did not interest them. That is OK, too. The world needs people who can repair things.

Your child has years to figure things out. In the meantime, have fun!

Jane

It's great that your son has a vision of where he wants to go for a career at such a young age. It's really helpful in planning school down the line. I'm an engineer (Chemical), and my son, who is a high school junior, is also headed in that direction.

As far as school goes, I think the most important thing you can do is place an emphasis on math right now. You should be shooting for him to do Algebra 1 no later than the 8th grade, if possible, so that he can be taking Calculus his senior year of high school. It's true that most engineering programs only require that a high schooler complete PreCalc, but in my experience, most do complete Calculus in high school and these kids do better in Engineering school as a result. Science courses are important, too, especially in high school. He should complete at least Biology, Chemistry, and Physics in high school.

If you don't have a background in higher-level math or science, you might start to think about how/where he'll take those courses as he gets older. There are a lot of on-line options, and community college (or a local college or university) would also be a great option.

I also think that history and literature/writing are also important to a budding engineer. Engineers typically have the reputation for having poor skills in these areas, and if one has strong communication skills, one can stand out.

As far as extracurricular activities, I don't think you necessarily HAVE to do anything special to aim for an engineering career, but I'm aware of a few options. My older son (the 11th grader) is in the Boy Scouts. He's met a good number of the dads in the troop who are in technical fields. Just talking to these guys on outings has helped him shape his career interests. He's also been able to earn merit badges in Computers, Space Exporation, etc.

We have no personal experience with Civil Air Patrol, but that might be something to look into. I think it's structured a bit like scouts, but it has more of an aviation bent. You might also check with any colleges in your area to see if they have summer camps/programs in science/engineering. There is also a group around here called FIRST Lego league that has competitions where kids build robots and compete against other teams.

HTH,

Brenda

Some of my supposed future engineers at NCSU learned that they were not really engineers at heart. They liked to tinker with stuff, but the theoretical aspects of science did not interest them. That is OK, too. The world needs people who can repair things.

Jane

I saw this, too, in my career -- that not all engineers are interested in the highly technical aspects of design. If these folks had the ability to get through the engineering course at a university, some of them made the best managers because they understood the general ideas and how much skill it takes to work on the details. Of all the people I know who are engineers, only a few of them work on the cutting edge of true design.

Brenda

As far as school goes, I think the most important thing you can do is place an emphasis on math right now. You should be shooting for him to do Algebra 1 no later than the 8th grade, if possible, so that he can be taking Calculus his senior year of high school. It's true that most engineering programs only require that a high schooler complete PreCalc, but in my experience, most do complete Calculus in high school and these kids do better in Engineering school as a result. Science courses are important, too, especially in high school. He should complete at least Biology, Chemistry, and Physics in high school.

HTH,

Brenda

Brenda and I were posting at about the same time. I want to echo something that she stated in the above: while there are anecdotes concerning students who have only studied through precalculus succeeding in engineering programs, this is indeed atypical.

Having said that, I would prefer to see a student who has complete algebra and trig skills show up in one of my Calculus courses, than a student who took a light weight Calc course for the sake of exposure. Knowing only how to work with polynomials will not help a future engineer. I agree with Brenda that shooting for Algebra I no later than 8th grade is the path for a future engineer.

Jane

While math and science are indeed important for engineering students, I would like to comment that the course that presented the greatest problem for many of my future engineers when I was teaching mathematics at NCSU was writing. Many otherwise A and B students, stumbled in their introductory English classes which prove to be as important in their careers as their math. (My husband is a computer systems engineer who gets completely frustrated by peers who do not document procedures properly!)

I have to agree with this as well. I am not an engineer, but dh is. His superb English skills are often what sets him apart from his colleagues. Writing is especially important in this global marketplace where product design may be carried out in one country, production may be carried out in another, and problems need to be solved both in person and through e-mail and teleconferencing. We tease dh that he is an e-mail engineer sometimes!

He was very fortunate to have had a wonderfully strict and traditional English teacher all through high school. He began college a bit behind in math and had to catch up because his very small high school didn't offer calc or even pre-cal, but he sure was glad he didn't also have to play catch up in English. There would not have been the opportunity to do so. Engineering students were basically given a "pass" where English was concerned. They had to take technical writing courses, but were excused from the typical freshman English because they needed every bit of time to devote to getting through the many engineering related courses for their majors.

My 18 yo is going to college in the fall and is majoring in engineering. While searching for schools, I called and spoke with counselors at the various colleges and they all mentioned calculus and physics, but they also mentioned really focusing on writing.

We had our son take writing classes at the CC this year to better prepare him for the work load ahead.

Ds here is junior, shooting for tip-top engineering/science schools next year. I can only agree with what everyone else said about math/science. If it's any encouragement to you, my ds has been able to work through all his math and science on his own very successfully (ie, no tutors). While this isn't ideal for everyone, or even desirable, it has been for us. Just in case you're worried about how you'll possibly teach him calculus or advanced physics! It can be done.

In looking over scholarship info, there seems to be a lot out there for kids who were involved in FIRST robotics. That's my imipression, anyway. As he gets older you might also check into USAMO, or the science olypiads. (Short list here.) There are plenty of camps, up to 6-8 weeks long, that focus on math and science, and some are free to qualified students. Tough, but maybe something to shoot for. However these are all things pretty far down the road. For now, you might check into kid-level engineering camps. They offer these all over the place for girls; unfortunately, I don't know how many are for boys. But your local universities might host something or know of something. Then there is space camp...keep in mind that many, many people in the space program are not astronauts (and who might be able to help ds see the many options)...and also remember that not all astronauts are pilots.

If I may inject my opinion on one other thing, though....I wouldn't worry so much at this point about turning him off the astronaut thing. Why? As he matures and ages, it is likely that he'll finally see these things on his own and let his dream go or change if it in indeed a bad fit for him. Ds planned to be a fighter pilot until this year--and he is 17! I never thought it was a great career path for him, and I put in some food for thought over the years, but finally it was him who came to the realization that it wasn't what he truly wanted in life. Until he reached that decision, we supported him fully in his efforts because it was a real passion for him. I think that to discourage him would have made him resentful; he couldn't have come to his own decision freely. Don't narrow him just yet. He'll find his path, whether it's aerospace related or not. Research all you want the various engineering, astrophysics, aerospace major options, then you'll have something to say if he wants to know. But don't try to convince him of what he cannot do. Is it realistic your ds will be an astronaut? Maybe not. But if it is his passion, it can motivate him through a lot of the hard work that he'll be facing in the next few years like nothing else will. Plus, who knows? Life takes interesting twists and turns that none of us can foretell. It's a fact that many people who have discovered and done so many great things were once told, "Never!" People who have a strong passion manage to go places, even places they didn't originally set out to go.

Not trying to slam your parenting, just a thought to consider. :)

My husband is an engineer. I say that not because he has a job in engineering - he doesn't - but because he *is* an engineer. Some of you know what I mean ;-)

At least two of my kids are also engineers.

Since their natural bent is for math and science, I don't stress that. Yes, we plan to take them through calculus in high school, and get them a good science education, but that's not the part I concern myself most with. I focus on where their natural bent is *not* - writing, art, poetry, literature. I don't want them to be so focused in the engineering/science mindset that they are unbalanced.

Other than that, we do First Lego League. Some other poster mentioned Conceptual Physics in middle school - I just bought that for my oldest, for 7th grade. Always go with the rigorous math program, and outsource if you have to. I wouldn't worry about focusing him on a career yet; just teach him as you feel he needs to be taught, expose him to the many different things he could do, and he'll find something. My dh's parents did not point him toward aerospace engineering, that's for certain ;-)

I too have a son who would like to go into engineering. Ever since he was a little boy he was raiding the recycling pin for empty cans and boxes to build things out of.

We are currently using Apologia for our sciences. Is Apologia thorough enough for preparing a child for an engineering degree? Also what math would be the best? We are have been using Saxon math up to this point; we have just started Advanced Math. But we plan to switch to another program. Can anyone give me an idea of what books we should use to prepare him the best?

Thanks so much!

We have an engineering-minded student - has been all along.

While it's great that you are working on a path for his vision, may I interject a minor word of caution? Your son is still quite young. While it doesn't look like it, his interests could change/fine tune as he enters high school. My son loves reading the career books that are at our library - he always comes away with "yep, wanna be an engineer (specifically computer)."

As I was growing up, I wanted to be a teacher. I was discouraged in this field, so I wanted to be a dentist. Again, discouraged for one reason or another and so I didn't have a "passion" that grew in me. Kinda wandered for a while and ended up being a paralegal for many years, which I liked, but here I am a WHAT? TEACHER!! LOL Obviously your son doesn't have the issue of your discouraging his passion, but on the other end of a spectrum I want to tell you about a friend who has a son who's really into computers and wants to be an engineer. That's been the focus and she'll admit that his people skills are lacking - he'd rather spend time with a computer than people.

So, my advice (we've homeschooled for 11 yrs.) is to keep your son's interest/bent in mind, but especially in the younger years you are in don't forget to make sure you work on him becoming a well-rounded student . . . does that make sense? I want my son to be able to feel compassion for the homeless or lost, volunteer at church, make time for a friend in need, etc. . . The amazing thing is, that as we've encouraged these things (while computers still being his passion) he's found ways to use the gifts and interests God has given him - he does Powerpoint at church for the service, volunteers to repair computers for friends and the church, and is considering volunteering to tutor elem. students next year in math.

SO, I guess what I'm saying is that your son's passion is part of him. YOU don't have to figure it out. Let him dream of being an astronaut - sure you can caution him about the physical reqirements, but you don't want to kill that great inner drive. He'll figure out what he can use his passion/gifts for as he matures. (Just keep him going on that math & science! :001_smile: as you work on him being able to communicate effectively both in speech and writing, KWIM?)

Blessings,

Kimm in WA

It is possible to get into engineering school without calculus in high school (my oldest has done it twice now), but it might not be the engineering school you want to go to. Another possibility, here at least, is to do the first two years at CC and then transfer to the state uni. That route lets you do engineering school with no calculus in high school.

What you really want to do, as everyone keeps saying, is Conceptual Physics, algebra, and something like Format Writing (not too bad for engineers) in middle school and then build on that in high school, being prepared to outsource the math and science when you get to the level you don't want to teach.

My youngest is headed for engineering school. Our plan is:

Math: Do NEM1-3, a proper proof-based geometry, then pre-calc and calc at CC.

Science: Singapore Interactive Science, then Conceptual Physics and Conceptual Chemistry, and natural history (instead of bio), then do chem and physics at CC.

We'll see how it goes. We're finishing up 7th grade, NEM1 and Conc. Phys. now. I have my eye on the robotics club at the local high school, but he might have to wait another year to do that. We'll definately find something like that for him. This year he learned to program in qbasic for fun. As soon as I feel he can deal with CC, I'll have him take computer programming classes there. He wants to do the engineering design class, also. He goes to my father's once a week to help him with projects. This is a combination of design and shop. Meanwhile, as someone mentioned, I am working hard to fill him full of history, literature, foreign languages, and music, because whatever I give him will probably be all he gets.

Some other thoughts - Have him do Draw Squad and learn to draw. Engineers should know how to draw. Remember the amount of hours that public school children spend on math and make sure you do a comparable amount. They are spending 1 1/2 to 2 hours a day on it. Make sure you find a way for your son to get some real laboratory experience. In other words, if you can't outsource that to a place with a laboratory, then buy proper lab equipment for at home.

HTH

-Nan

Thank you. You are right to express this caution, especially since you only know the tiny snapshot that I posted in the message. We are very serious about teaching our son Godliness, service, and caring for others, and he is cheerful about doing things that are not necessarily his bent: art classes, horseback riding, handbells. He has been along for the ride in many activities of his older sister's interest (she's the creative type), and he participates with a good will.

With my experience in technical writing (helping all of those struggling engineers who said they became engineers so they wouldn't have to write . . . surprise!), and my dedication to the classical approach, I guess I feel competent about covering writing, history, literature, etc., and making sure my student is well-rounded.

It's the math and science that freaks me out, I think. That's what I feel the pressure in.

I don't want to kill his inner drive, but the "astronaut or bust" mentality means in his case that he is not considering any other careers. I don't want him to be left bereft when he is older and that door is closed to him (which I think it will be). He is young enough that he considers anything other than actually going into space boring. I'm just wanting to start introducing the idea that there are other careers out there ; ). I have tried to talk to him about an old friend of ours who is an aerospace engineer and works for NASA in the shuttle payloads division, doing really cool stuff, but he will have none of it. That is what worries me--the tunnel vision.

I guess I should continue dropping little snippets about cool technical careers and push the math and science. Honestly, I think he would do well in any of several engineering disciplines, or even architecture.

I have to agree with this as well. I am not an engineer, but dh is. His superb English skills are often what sets him apart from his colleagues. Writing is especially important in this global marketplace where product design may be carried out in one country, production may be carried out in another, and problems need to be solved both in person and through e-mail and teleconferencing. We tease dh that he is an e-mail engineer sometimes!

Amen and amen. You could be writing about my DH. He is one of those disgusting people who is naturally good at both math and writing. He is a computer scientist, and sometimes I call him a PowerPoint Engineer. His ability to write excellent technical articles and do superb presentations sets him apart.

Having spent almost 15 years in DoD working with scientists and engineers as a technical writer, I am well-acquainted with the writing requirements of these positions. So I feel confident about being able to guide my son in this area. I plan to go the distance with CW.

However, the upper maths and sciences are a different story! That's what I need to get a handle on now, I think. I need to formulate a plan for handling all of these things.

You are right. Writing is vital. Engineering schools are doing better at preparing people in this area than they used to, I think.

I worked for 15 years as a technical writer for DoD, and I used to have dejected engineers come into my office almost daily saying, "I became an engineer so I wouldn't have to write, and now my boss says, 'Publish or perish.'" I would have to reassure them that we could get through this and coach them through the process. I also assisted my husband during his PhD experience. Although he is a good writer, it is difficult to edit one's own work. Our collaboration on his dissertation was valuable experience for both of us. He often still brings his journal papers home for editing before he submits them.

I neglected to state my experience in this area in my original post. I feel confident about preparing him in writing--it's the upper maths and sciences that are freaking me out right now.

Your cautions are well-taken. However, it's not so much that I'm trying to narrow DS as to broaden him! I am very aware that there are other really cool jobs at NASA (I posted in another reply about a friend that works in shuttle payloads), but it's *DS* won't hear a word about it.

Yes, I think we will need to get into a Lego League group next year with DS. I was talking to my husband about this last night. We considered and rejected it this past fall, but I think we should do it this next year. Engineering camps are another great suggestion--I'll look into that.

The theme that is emerging for me--and perhaps this is a "duh" apparent to the rest of you already--is that I need to really focus on higher maths and sciences and let the chips fall where they may. Almost all of the fields for which DS has a natural bent will require the math/science path.

Thank you--this sounds like a good plan. The relief to me is that I feel competent in handling the things outside math and science. I guess I already have a mental plan for those things, thanks to WTM/LCC, and I think DS will learn them fairly willingly. It's the maths and sciences that are a challenge for me right now.

I will look into Conceptual Physics. That sounds neat! What is your plan for calculus?

My husband is an engineer. I say that not because he has a job in engineering - he doesn't - but because he *is* an engineer. Some of you know what I mean ;-)

I actually know very well what you mean! My husband is a computer scientist, and we worked for DoD for about 15 years. I was a technical writer and worked with scientists and engineers all day, and many of our friends were engineers. The EEs are the funniest, I think.

So it was easy to recognize the personality in my son. At least DS wasn't as bad the son of a friend of ours (a mechanical engineer), who could outwit any lock in the house when he was 3yo. Whew, he was a handful (well-behaved, nice boy, but inquisitive).

Thank you. This is very helpful. That is interesting about the drawing. My son has been taking art lessons with his sister so he wouldn't feel left out, but perhaps I should keep him in it for a while. I was also considering letting him take some drafting later.

Would you consider VideoText a proper geometry?

I am considering outsourcing calculus, chemistry, and physics at the CC.

If you do Algebra 1, Conceptual Physics, and other preparatory things in 8th grade, can you include it on the high school transcript?

Thank you. This is very helpful. That is interesting about the drawing. My son has been taking art lessons with his sister so he wouldn't feel left out, but perhaps I should keep him in it for a while. I was also considering letting him take some drafting later.

Timberdoodle sells a drafting program. It can be used with pencil and paper or with a CAD program.

Practical Drafting

I'm not including them on the transcript. I don't think I'll need to. On his transcript, my son will have math that goes something like: Integrated Math 3, Geometry, CC Pre-calculus, CC Calculus. His science will look like: Natural History 1, CC Chemistry, CC Physics. And he'll probably have something else in there, also, for science, so he has 4 years. Maybe CC bio? I don't know. It will depend on what he is interested in. I think the only reasons to include early classes are if you want to show something that isn't part of a sequence, or if you want to stop a sequence earlier than senior year. If you decided later to graduate your child early, then you'd want to back up and count some of his 8th grade courses as 9th grade ones, I suppose. I think mostly colleges are interested in how far in the sequence you got. They assume that if you have algebra 2 on the transcript, that you took algebra 1 at some point previously.

I can't help you with the geometry, unfortunately. I just know that we aren't doing logic with this child, so I want to do a proper, proof-based geometry to teach him how to think. I know I'm going to have to go through the text with him in order to be able to correct it, so I haven't investigated video programs. Too much temptation to put a load of laundry in rather than watch the lesson with him LOL.

-Nan

If you do Algebra 1, Conceptual Physics, and other preparatory things in 8th grade, can you include it on the high school transcript?

Depends on the state. Here in NC, you are only supposed to list courses taken in 9th and up.

My son did Conceptual Physics in 9th--but I recommend that those with an engineering bent pick it up earlier.

Jane

Corollary question: How do I evaluate higher math curricula for rigor? Trigonometry the Easy Way? Life of Fred? I have seen Life of Fred mentioned before, but not the Easy Way series.

How about calculus? What makes a good, rigorous calculus program? Is Videotext's geometry course that includes trig and pre-calc rigorous and comprehensive? (I would then follow up with a full calculus course in the senior year.)

We just came back from a great trip (cruise) from Brazil over to Africa. Lots of interesting folks on board as they weren't into just suntanning. One women has a career doing the computer engineering for NASA (she's in Florida now) but she got to work in Moscow for 2 years on coordinating the space shuttle. She said she loved it. (what a wonderful opportunity) This other man had been a pilot for the U.S.Airforce in the 80's and he had flown into many of the African countries for different supply trips etc, so he was interested in how they had changed in the interim.

I really wanted to post about another opportunity for younger teenagers--my daughter is just starting this but it seems like there are lots of varying activities. The local people here are great (several mothers involved) and the extra training you can sign up for in the summers comes highly recommended. (I originally found out about this on the earlier board this spring) I had looked into Civil Air Patrol, but the curriculum seemed dry--at least for this female. So this program is called Sea Cadets. They want people to know there isn't any military requirement, but there is a fair amount of material to study. (three binders full-with open book tests) The information is fairly interesting, a lot on courtesies, safety, emergencies, environment, gun safety, job skills, harassment, etc. Even detailed instructions about how to paint, (including best brushes and types of paint!) After you have been involved for 2 years you can do 1-2 week international exchange programs for only $200. (airfaire is paid) If you hunt around the website you can find the summer topics in the US quite interesting also. They have- History docents, cooking school, photo journalism, naval intelligence, music, driving boats, SEAL, scuba, lifeguard, and more. You pay for the airline ticket and it costs $150 for 2 weeks. The kids get picked up at the airport, and stay on the base, so the money covers the food, and training. My daughter just started, the adults said that they love to write college recommendations (music to my ears!) They said that most kids don't find out about it until they're 16, and their biggest regret is that they didn't find the program earlier. (they don't advertise) Here's the website and also the website for the training information if this might be of interest--www.seacadets.org and www.compass.seacadets.org In our area we also have a Sea Scouts which I called, but the Sea Cadets just seem to have a better program. Perhaps others might be interested....(they reimburse you if you signup for the Summer week at the Naval Academy before your senior year, if anybody is interested--)

That is the one I meant, anyway. I bought it by following the directions on the website. It is sold through one of the major publishers. I didn't have any trouble getting the teacher's guide, so now I'm wondering how all that worked. Maybe I got the teacher's guide used. I tend to try to do that, since that is usually the expensive part of a curriculum.

Are you speaking of the course by Paul Hewitt? Where did you buy it?

Yes, that's it. I bought mine for very cheap at a Half-Priced Books. Now I'm trying to track down a teacher's guide for it.

Right now he's not very enthused about trying it, even though he specifically requested we do physics next. So I'm considering reading it aloud to both my 12 and 10 year olds, and we'll just see how it goes.

I can't help with calculus - my plan is to have my husband handle it. I take the kids up to algebra, and he takes it from there. I'll see if he has a plan for that yet.