• I was breastfed, born in the US
    • I was breastfed, born outside of the US
    • I was not breastfed, born in the US
    • I was not breastfed, born outside of the US
    • I have no idea
    • Breastfed, born in the 60's or earlier
    • Breastfed, born in the 70's
    • Breastfed, born in the 80's

I was bottlefed in the 70's. I'm sick ALL THE TIME, and have been since childhood.

My 8 year old son breasfted for 14 months, he's got asthma and allergies, sick a lot. My 7 year old daughter breastfed for a little over 3 years - she's only been sick twice, both times with a stomach bug.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, it doesn't, but neither does the fact that some doctors may not have provided adequate information in the past, etc negate the reality that not every woman is physically capable of nursing or able to do so without going to such extremes trying to do so that the trying becomes more of an obstacle to the welfare of the mother and child than the lack of breastfeeding. Note that word "sometimes" with which I started my post.

I was pointing out that when someone says that, it should not necessarily be assumed to be a code phrase for "uneducated", "doesn't love her child", "too lazy to try", "selfish", "more concerned about her social life", "oppressed by the medical/cultural community", etc. It may mean "I didn't have enough milk"---period.

To me, the biggest problem in in this issue is some folks on each side trying too hard to figure out what the other "really" meant rather than accepting what is said. It's the assumptions that get in the way of communication and understanding. Sometimes, as you said, the person means what they said and that's all.

It is just as possible to have a close, loving relationship with your child, as well as have a child who is healthy, doesn't turn out to be a sociopath and has an IQ greater than that of a turnip with or without breastfeeding, co-sleeping, attachment parenting, homeschooling, etc. There is no magic bullet or only one way.

I feel a bit frustrated by your personalizing this and your defensiveness.

The poll is, by design, about individual families and backgrounds. I answered accurately for my mom and I KNOW for a fact that her lack of breastfeeding was lack of information.

I never made generalizations or assumptions or statements about other people's situations. :001_huh::confused:

I was breastfed in the 1970s, in the US. I breastfed my three youngest- 7 year old for 17 months, my 5 year old for 2 1/2 years, and my nearly 4 year old was breastfed for 3 1/2 years. They all self weaned. I got pg while nursing twice, and did not use supplements or pacifiers, and nursed on demand.

ETA: My mom nursed me for 10 months, then got pg with my younger brother and weaned me. I nursed my toddlers throughout my pregnancies and had no problems.

I voted "not breastfed, born in US" but forgot to also vote on *when* (1969). I was adopted, but I know I would have been bottle fed if I was my mom's own birth-child, because she thinks breastfeeding is pretty disgusting (as does my father).

I've breastfed all 5 of mine, through heck and high water. :lol: Shortest was 8 months (weaned to hypoallergenic formula because she had multiple food allergies that weren't coming up on the tests so I couldn't figure out what to avoid) and longest is still going - my just-turned-3yo.

I was bottle fed. And I'm in Mensa, so it didn't affect my brain. I do have alot of nasal allergies, but other than that, I'm healthy. I also have some emotional issues, but being in 7 foster homes before you're 2 yrs old will do that to a person:rolleyes:

I feel a bit frustrated by your personalizing this and your defensiveness.

The poll is, by design, about individual families and backgrounds. I answered accurately for my mom and I KNOW for a fact that her lack of breastfeeding was lack of information.

I never made generalizations or assumptions or statements about other people's situations. :001_huh::confused:

Really?

You wrote:

This is similar to my situation. My mom (who was an RN) tried to breastfeed my oldest sister. She "never made enough milk" which I later understood to mean that the system didn't have the right information and support to inspire families to breastfeed and teach them how.

She never even tried with my other sister or with me....I don't blame my mom. I blame the system: culture, government, the medical system, corporations. Ever read Milk, Money and Madness?

I responded:

Sometimes it just means "she never made enough milk". That was my situation, ....No, not every woman can breastfeed, even with the best will and support in the world.

To which you responded:

"She didn't have enough milk" in my mom's case was not true."

Fine, you stated your situation, I stated mine and I never said your situation was or was not true, just that mine was different---and then you went on:

"The existence of actual issues of supply coupled with moms who tried everything does not negate the reality that breastfeeding info back in the day was wrong and that there are still issues in the medical/cultural community today that sabbotage establishing a breastfeeding relationship."

And I said:

I was pointing out that when someone says that, it should not necessarily be assumed to be a code phrase for "uneducated", "doesn't love her child", "too lazy to try", "selfish", "more concerned about her social life", "oppressed by the medical/cultural community", etc. It may mean "I didn't have enough milk"---period.

To me, the biggest problem in in this issue is some folks on each side trying too hard to figure out what the other "really" meant rather than accepting what is said. It's the assumptions that get in the way of communication and understanding. Sometimes, as you said, the person means what they said and that's all.

In what way is that being defensive? All of these things have been put forth in this thread about those who do not breastfeed, either as the individual's opinion or as examples of other's statements. If the thread is indeed "about individual families and backgrounds" in what way can one *not* "personalize" the discussion?

OK, Karen.

I am glad that the amount of information and options that you were able (and willing) to explore. Things have changed a lot since the 50's and 60's with regard to accurate breastfeeding information.

I'm fully aware that there are issues with supply, latch, and other organic situations that prevent breastfeeding and that "couldn't breastfeed" can be the truth and not code for "didn't try".

I was born in the 60's and my mother tried to breastfeed me. However, I did not take to breastfeeding, nor did I take to formula. LOL She had to feed me every 2 hours, only 2 ounces as a time. I guess I screamed the rest of the time. My mother also smoked during her pregnancy and after.

None of the rest of my siblings were nursed.

My dh was also born in the 60's and was breastfed for 9 weeks because his sister was. All three of the siblings were nursed 9 weeks.

breastfed, born in the 70's, mom nursed me [and my siblings] exclusively for about 14 months.

apparently I was not a baby that would take to a schedule :)

as for my five?

#1: 33 weeker preemie. given breastmilk and supplements in the hospital. i pumped. slowed down on pumping till it was all dried up. settled for formula. all in all he got about two months worth of breastmilk/special supplement.

#2, #3, and #4: nursed on demand [exclusively for ~6 months, table food added after that] and co-slept for about 13 months.

#5 - nursed [exclusively for 6 months, table food after that] using Babywise for 16 months.

• 1 month later...

I was bottle-fed (1969). My mom isn't really a "go against the flow" type of person, so it doesn't surprise me.

I loved the PP who said that her mother was anti-unmedicated birth, anti-breastfeeding, anti-large family, and anti-homeschooling. So was my mom, until I did all those things. Now, she's a chameleon. She sings the praises of my natural births, my breastfeeding, my large family, and my homeschooling. Whatever... at least it's easier to deal with her now!

I just finished breastfeeding my 5th child, who weaned at 18 months. All the others were between 12 and 15 months.

I imagine my daughter will do the same. It's all she's ever known and seen. When she was younger, she nursed her dollies. I loved that!

I was not breastfed, nor was my mother. In fact, my mother's baby book contains the original recipe for 'formula' that her mother used for her! ICK!

Austin was not breastfed, didn't try, thought it was gross.

Riley was breastfed for 6 days, when I was given misinformation about jaundice.

Reece was breastfed for 2 1/2 years. You could say I made up for the time her siblings missed. ;)

My mother was deeply disgusted when I nursed Riley, and was thrilled when I gave up. She really rubbed it in when I stopped. Now, you have to understand that my mother and I have a fantastic relationship and she's one of my best friends. But in her eyes, nursing was something that poor people did, the ones who couldn't afford formula. She was a single mom when I was born, and she told me often how she worked a second job so she could afford the best formula for me. (I don't know if this was before WIC, or whether she just refused to accept it as she did other government services at the time).

What changed her opinion of nursing was something that happened shortly after Reece was born. Mom came to stay with us when dh went back to work, so Reece was a week old. Mom stayed for a week. During that week, I would nurse and Mom would take Reece and hold her while she slept and while I rested. So Reece spent the better part of that week snuggled up with my mom. The day after mom left to go home, she came down with a terrible illness that nearly hospitalized her. Both of my other children became very sick, as did my husband and myself. Reece got a teeny bit congested, and when I put breastmilk in her nose she was much better. My mom was sold on the immunities provided by breastmilk after that! LOL

I know that often these sorts of discussions end up in debate. For the record, I wish babies were breastfed for a number of reasons. But I do understand from personal experience that it isn't always that simple.

My mom breastfed me for about 6 weeks. I had severe milk allergies that the ped didn't recognize, just thought I had colic. I was also tiny, so I was weaned to formula, which made the allergy worse, and the screaming worse, and the weight gain worse. Finally at 6 months I was taken to a larger town and a "real" doctor who diagnosed the milk allergy, put me on soy and life was grand after that.

I've breastfed all 4 of mine for right around 14 months, through latch problems, through mastitis, mastitis and more mastitis. I had to go to the er with dd2 because the infection was so bad. This was just 6 years ago, and the er doc explained that I HAD to quit bfing, that I would harm the baby and the infection wouldn't clear up as long as I was nursing. Luckily, I talked to my ob and he said just keep on keeping on and it will get better if you take the antibiotics. Sure enough, it cleared up and dd nursed til she was 13 months.

Born in 1962, in the U.S. My mother breastfed all three of her children for about 4 months, I believe. Can't ask her, she passed away many years ago.

I do remember Mother sterilizing bottles for my little brother. It was quite a production back then.

I breastfed both my boys till they were four, then we had a weaning party for them, complete with cupcakes! They got to blow out candles on each cupcake, thus making the party even better than the recent fourth birthday. We sang "Happy Weaning Day to You." :D

Mother would have been very happy to see her grandsons so healthy and happy on mother's milk, although probably would have been shocked at how long it lasted. She was the best mom anyone could ask for, and I missed her terribly when I became a new mother.

My DH was born in 1957 and was completely bottle-fed. He's completely brilliant, but has allergy issues. I'm sorta-kinda-brilliant ;) and inherited my father's eternal rhinitis (induced by allergy to dust, most likely).

I asked my mom once if she'd had any problems with nursing. She said, "No....but I didn't nurse any of you!" I was born in the "bottle is better" era.

I bfd all my dc--6 mos, 18mos and 34 mos.

It's great to see so many people who have breastfed past a year. I only know one person IRL who nursed more than 12 months.