Menu

Another Music Lessons Post

Hello! This is my first thread after semi-lurking for a while. I'm thankful for this board, and I hope to have more to offer in the years to come!

Anyway, oldest DS begins 1st next year. I've always had visions of all my dc beginning piano lessons by 1st, at the latest, and loving music, becoming accomplished, well-rounded adults, etc. :) We have a piano, but it looks like we just don't have the resources to begin lessons this coming year.

DS is completing the Kindermusik Young Child series this spring, and I'm trying to work out an affordable plan for next year. My options:

1. The Kindermusik instructor also teaches Suzuki flute. I have been bartering with her for Kindermusik time for all three dc. She has been pleased with me and is open to bartering for lessons. DS has a relationship with her, and he'll be getting solid teaching from an experienced teacher.
  2. I just bought the Piano Adventures primer level books. I am confident in teaching these books to him, and he has a little head start from his Kindermusik experience. I'll continue as long as I can, and if he LOVES piano, we'll do our best to get piano lessons. We're in a college town with a good music school, so we have that option to explore.
  3. Both 1 and 2 as long as my sanity allows.

I love music and never had formal lessons, so my give-my-children-what-I-didn't-have mode is in overdrive here. I know the effort involved, and I'm not intimidated (yet). So I suppose I'm looking for advice about how much is realistic to do with DS6 who is a bit reluctant to sitting still, but is capable once I provide stucture and make him.

TIA!

You said you're in a college town with a good music school. Could you barter with one of the music students for piano lessons? Or perhaps a student would teach your child for a reasonable price?

As for flute, many kids don't have the arm length to hold a flute properly until age 9-10 or so. You might talk to your prospective teacher about this, to see what she recommends.

You said you're in a college town with a good music school. Could you barter with one of the music students for piano lessons? Or perhaps a student would teach your child for a reasonable price?

As for flute, many kids don't have the arm length to hold a flute properly until age 9-10 or so. You might talk to your prospective teacher about this, to see what she recommends.

Yes, I've thought about the college student option. I guess I'm still thinking. I don't know what bartering options I have with college students unless they need science tutoring, transportation, or something.

They make curved flute head joints (just a pic - not to show how much I would spend on a flute!), so length is not an issue. I plan to discuss all this with her, but I'm pretty sure she'll want me to go with flute lessons. ;)

Edited by kpnick in nc

Does your child have a preference? I'd strongly consider my child's preference. I love the barter idea and wonder if even bartering food would appeal to someone. :-) I mean, how many college students get good, home-cooked food away from home. You may find someone willing to come right before dinner for the lesson and then stay for dinner. Maybe crazy.....

If you want him to advance on piano, you need to make sure he gets the basics right. It's very important to learn how to use your hands correctly from the start or later on, it will impede his progress (technique). I have 14 year education in piano (including college degree). So, quality matters. I think it's better to get a good teacher just twice a month, than pay for weekly lessons with a less experienced teacher. You can sit in through all the lessons and reinforce everything at home. Ultimately, it's all about practice :)

If you want him to advance on piano, you need to make sure he gets the basics right. It's very important to learn how to use your hands correctly from the start or later on, it will impede his progress (technique). I have 14 year education in piano (including college degree). So, quality matters. I think it's better to get a good teacher just twice a month, than pay for weekly lessons with a less experienced teacher. You can sit in through all the lessons and reinforce everything at home. Ultimately, it's all about practice :)

:iagree:

I think at that age, it is best to focus on the reading of music and making practice a daily part of life. That is really the key.

My sons have both been playing piano since they were 5. My elder son is now about to be 11. In september of this year, he was offered free flute lesons from the local music college. Because he already reads music and has had so many years of excellent piano lessons and very consistent practice, the flute was fairly easy for him.

My 6 year old? Not long.

He started 'lessons' tacked on to the end of big brother's lessons when he was 4. His birthday is in January. Last September, when he was 5, his lessons became more along the lines of the traditional 30 min lesson. Now that he is fully into his 6th year, he can truly focus for the whole 30 min lesson.

I have him practice for maybe 10-15 mins 6 days a week...but that would be less if he actually just practiced. Instead there is lots of getting off the bench, forgetting what song he is playing, and lots of : oh look, an ant! I don't know where C is on the keyboard..oh wait, I do! I burped at the same time I played that half note! Can I try that again only using my toes? What about my nose? Oh, sorry, I'll wipe that off.

I am at his side directing the whole practice, such as it is.

My older son was just the same so I know to take deep breaths and not blow up the piano. It will come in time. With music, the race belongs to the steady, not the swift. Right?

Does your child have a preference? I'd strongly consider my child's preference. I love the barter idea and wonder if even bartering food would appeal to someone. :-) I mean, how many college students get good, home-cooked food away from home. You may find someone willing to come right before dinner for the lesson and then stay for dinner. Maybe crazy.....

When I ask him which he prefers, he says, "I want to learn both. I'll do piano first, then I'll do flute." What he really wants to learn, though, is the saxophone.

If you want him to advance on piano, you need to make sure he gets the basics right. It's very important to learn how to use your hands correctly from the start or later on, it will impede his progress (technique). ..Ultimately, it's all about practice :)

This is why I lean toward flute now and maybe adding piano in the future when we can afford it.

I have him practice for maybe 10-15 mins 6 days a week...but that would be less if he actually just practiced. Instead there is lots of getting off the bench, forgetting what song he is playing, and lots of : oh look, an ant! I don't know where C is on the keyboard..oh wait, I do! I burped at the same time I played that half note! Can I try that again only using my toes? What about my nose? Oh, sorry, I'll wipe that off.

This is my 6 yo as well :tongue_smilie:

Thanks everyone - this does help me process!

there is lots of getting off the bench, forgetting what song he is playing, and lots of : oh look, an ant! I don't know where C is on the keyboard..oh wait, I do! I burped at the same time I played that half note! Can I try that again only using my toes? What about my nose? Oh, sorry, I'll wipe that off.

LOL. My almost-6yo is in Suzuki cello and this year DH has been the one taking him to lessons and doing most daily practices. However, recently DH has been out of town a lot and I have been doing practices. A couple of days ago DS said something about asking a random question -- further investigation revealed that DH has been trying to enforce some kind of system in which DS has to play one song with "super focus" before he can ask a "random question." :D

I generally do 20 minutes of practice with him 6 days a week. DH does closer to 30 if he's supervising; I think DS clearly runs out of steam before they're done, but DH disagrees. One of my friends does 45-60 minutes daily with her 5yo, and he is making much more progress than my son. Another friend just does a couple times a week with her son, and he is moving much more slowly.

Edited by JennyD

yeah, I know that other parents get more time out of their kids when it comes to practice. My friend is a suzuki piano teacher and she is always telling me not to compare.

My older boy is a beautiful, accomplished pianist and he was the same way when he was six. I am not worried. We'll get there in the end.