Menu

Avocado pit experiment--question!

I have had success for the very first time with an avocado pit after having tried with at least half a dozen pits using the water/toothpick method unsuccessfully. What worked was to actually plant it next to an existing houseplant - but with about the top 1/2 exposed. It took a long time - about 7 weeks! - for it to sprout but I have an avocado plant finally starting to grow.

I don't know, but that happened to us, too. I threw it away and tried again. This time I followed a suggestion to let it dry out awhile, then peel it before putting it half in the water. I don't know if that is what we were really supposed to do, and it took much longer than I expected, but we have the cutest little plant now!

I grew avocados all the time when I was a kid. Toothpicks in the sides, hang on top of a glass with enough water to cover part of the pit. Worked every time.

However, every time I've tried it in recent years I get nothing. I have wondered if the avocados are treated in some way now that inhibits the growth.

We keep getting avocados growing in our compost heap, Its too cold for them to grow any further than seedlings but I put one in a pot In our greenhouse and it got about 3ft before it succumbed to the weather, I really needed to find someone with a conservatory to take it.

Could more heat be needed if they are going mouldy? I think thats why they are growing in our compost, because its pretty hot.

Instead of doing the toothpick thing, try this:

Shave a tiny bit off the top (non-pointy end). Peel the outer brown "skin" off. Plant the seed in soil, in a pot, leaving about 1/3 of it uncovered by soil. Water as needed. When it sprouts, cover the rest of the seed in soil. Yes, you'll need to fill the pot less full in the beginning so there's room to add soil. :-)

If you sprout it in water first, you'll still have to plant it in soil, right? The "roots" that develop in water are different than the roots that develop in soil, and those are the ones that are important.

Is it like fuzzy mold or just slime? Slime is okay and the pit WILL sprout, but I've never gotten fuzzy mold so if that's the case I don't know what to say :/ Good luck!

It's pretty fuzzy. We're trying to sprout it in water to observe the roots, so soil won't really work. I think I'll get another one and try again and just make sure to clean it really well this time!