Menu

Inexpen. hotel near Colonial Williamsburg?

I can't recommend the howard Johnson's on York street. It is extremely close to the historic area. It does have an indoor pool and continental breakfast. They did give me a room in which the ac was broken (horribly noisy and not cooling). The sink faucet leaked. And the biggy, I discovered after spending the night that the door really didn't lock even though it seemed like it did. This was a room that opened to the outside--meaning anyone on the street could have come in. The hotel does have rooms that open to an internal hallway, but not the one they gave us. The management didn't seem to think these were problems and were really put off to give us a different room the next day, but they did. I couldn't change hotels because I'd paid in full for the 2 nights. It was one of those great internet deals on a site which appears to be the official site of the hotel chain, but turns out to be a discounter that doesn't do refunds. Never again.

Is your friend open to accomodations other than hotels? I recently booked a 3,000 sq. foot, 4 bedroom condo for $350 for 5 nights at Colonial Williamsburg. A 2 bedroom condo for 5 nights was $175. (Not per night, that's the price for the entire 5 nights.)

I found them at vrbo.com They were at a resort, I think it had a pool, etc.

I also recommend looking for condo rentals on craigslist, homeaway.com, or other places. Many people have timeshares or other options which they are willing to rent quickly.

Also, tripadvisor.com is a great resource!!

My kids and I stayed at this Quality Inn a year and a half ago. It looks like they only have an outdoor pool (I guess we didn't swim). They have a free breakfast. The hotel was a little older but I was happy enough with it for the price. I felt safe and clean, and both were important.

I recommend looking at traveler reviews at TripAdvisor, and don't forget the bed bug registry.

We stay at the Quality Inn and Suites (not the other Quality Inn, previously linked) on Richmond Road. It's an older and slightly shabby hotel, but the rooms are big two-room suites, a large living room and a bedroom with a door that closes. There is an indoor pool and a decent, although not awesome, free breakfast. It's very inexpensive.

Is your friend open to accomodations other than hotels? I recently booked a 3,000 sq. foot, 4 bedroom condo for $350 for 5 nights at Colonial Williamsburg. A 2 bedroom condo for 5 nights was $175. (Not per night, that's the price for the entire 5 nights.)

I found them at vrbo.com They were at a resort, I think it had a pool, etc.

I recommend going this route, too. We rented a beautiful 2 bedroom condo at Powhatan Resort. It was a short drive to Colonial Williamsburg. They had an indoor and outdoor pool, and other amenities. Having a full kitchen made life easier for meals.