Menu

Modern History programs (jr. high)...

My rising 8th grader wants to study modern history next year. We've done that time period in a brief overview this year as part of a World History (beginning until now) survery but it's the one time period she really hasn't done deeply. I was planning on History Odyssey Modern Level II (and I still might do that) but we are now planning on joining Classical Conversations and she'll have alot of work from that. HO Level II has alot of outlining, writing, etc and I'm considering doing a less writing intensive program instead. Something that she could read and we could discuss. She loves history and always wants to know why things happened, what people were like, what they thought etc.

There seems to be so little out there for Modern. Anybody have something they love that would be appropriate for an 8th grader?

Heather

If reading and discussing are what your dd likes, then I would highly recommend the WTM/WEM combination. This combination will allow you the freedom of picking and choosing areas of interest to explore further.

We just finished TOG yr 2 and I decided I wanted to go back to WTM for the rest of my time hs'ing my dd.

I am borrowing ideas from the 8th grade History and 9th gr. Great Books study ideas in the WTM. We review the DK History of the World text, just to get a broad overview of the period in history we will study, and then I choose books to focus in on major people and events. My dd takes notes on the books she reads, keeps a timeline, does mapwork, and we discuss the books and primary sources "ala WTM". So far, so good. :001_smile:

I'm sure you can get the 20th Century History text on Amazon, or other used book sites.

What a great thing you have with a dd who has such an interest in history and people!

Full disclosure--I thought that we would do AAH I in parallel with SOTW3 to provide more emphasis on American history, and I ended up dropping it in favor of focussing on SOTW3, adding some living books (especially from BF), and doing some Steward Ship style unit studies specifically about American history after finishing SOTW3. Why did I drop AAH? I thought that it was not as engaging as I had expected. With its heavy 'background' sections at the beginning of each chapter, DD was bored before she got to the actual history stories (which were quite engaging). Also, the vocabulary was quite a step up from her other work, and I found that she was really not able to learn it from context, and at the time I did not have time to teach it to her little by little. If I had done so, this would have been a great program for her. Since at the time I could not, I think that it was a little old for her.

However, we are now using AAH2 and it is right for her age--almost 12. It is more sophisticated and appropriate to logic stage work than SOTW is, and the TE has a lot of extra book suggestions. It would serve very well as a standalone American history program for a one year study in the 6-8th grade. I am very glad that we gave it another chance.

I'm looking at the same time period. Well actually I'm deciding between Am history or World history-last part of a cycle. I'm considering:

Omnibus III (love it but I'm scared it might be too much for my kids)

Streams of Civilization II

Story of the 13 Colonies & Story of the Great Republic & ??

I'm also very lost on all this.

I went through Year 4 of Tapestry of Grace with my 8th and 9th graders several years ago and thought it was an excellent overview of the 1900s. Teachers notes are provided and both dialectic and rhetoric (jr and sr. high) sample history discussion outlines are provided for each week. The student is given Thinking and Accountability questions for their weekly readings and comes to class armed for you both to discuss the material. Mom goes through several pages of teacher's notes, so you are also prepared (along with the discussion questions and answers). Weekly quizzes can also be purchased for evaluation. In my opinion, it is a great curriculum for the depth as well as for mom to easily administer challenging and meaty topics each week.

I've been through 5 years of Tapestry of Grace, having started when my oldest was in 5th grade. I'm definitely sticking with the curriculum for the duration. It's easier for moms with many children to offer a classical education to all their children as there is a level for each child and everyone is on the same time period.

You don't have to purchase the entire year at a crack. You can purchase a unit and see if you like it. They also have samples of the curriculum online at their site, if you are interested in getting a better feel for what the layout looks like.

HTH, Pam